My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital plus - how to get?

(77 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Hi all. I have a Sonos beam gen 2. When I watch BT Sport on the Aura using the BT Sport App I can get Dolby Atmos if I set the audio output to home cinema via hdmi - if I set it to Optical or hdmi arc I only get stereo. However, when I watch any Freeview channels that happen to output Dolby Digital 5.1 (some films on BBC do) I can only get 5.1 if I set audio to Optical or HDMI arc - therefore I lose Dolby Atmos when watching BT SPORT app on the aura. To satisfy my needs I need to switch audio output from one setting to the other on the aura. Does anyone know of a way to get all the desired audio output I want but with one consistent setting?

| Sat 16 Oct 2021 14:14:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

First of all, forget about Atmos via optical, its not possible. In fact, the correct set-up should be Aura > TV via hdmi, TV > Sonos via hdmi-arc. The optical cable is superfluous.
    Then, please explain what device you are referring to when you say you are swapping outputs? Because if your cabling order is correct, you should only be using the hdmi option on the Sonos and if your TV is correctly set to passthrough all audio via the arc port I would hope that the Sonos will process everything into the correct format.

| Sat 16 Oct 2021 15:39:36 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

My setup is as you described. Aura to tv - tv to Sonos (via hdmi arc). I am referring to the Sonos audio settings when I state I have to switch them. If I use “home cinema to hdmi” I can listen to Dolby atmos using Bt sport app on the aura. However, with this setting I only get pcm stereo on HD freeview channels. If I switch to “optical or hdmi arc” I can get Dolby digital plus on HD freeview channels but that stops Dolby Atmos via Bt sport APP. There is no one setting for me that satisfies my requirements.

| Sat 16 Oct 2021 15:49:43 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Something seems odd because I would think that you would only need to use the hdmi arc option (because that is the connection you are using).
    Using the Sonos app, can you tell the soundbar how to process the different formats?

| Sat 16 Oct 2021 16:21:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

You can’t control the Sonos in the way you ask. If you read the audio settings they are for different setups - I don’t think there is a single option for my need. I think I just need to switch audio output as desired. It’s a slight annoyance as it needs a reboot of the aura but there ain’t that much Dolby atmos content on by sport anyway…

| Sat 16 Oct 2021 16:33:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Does the app not give you access to more settings than those available via the remote control?

| Sat 16 Oct 2021 16:50:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

It does but not to the extent you are (maybe) implying. It just displays the audio format. This is how I know I’m getting Atmos (or not) or DD+ 5.1 (or not).

| Sat 16 Oct 2021 17:01:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

On the Sonos app, try this:-

Settings
    System
    HomeTheatre room(?) Beam
    Make sure that
    TV Auto Play
    is enabled.
    This has been explained to me over the phone, so I may not be 100% accurate in the steps through the app but the Auto Play setting is supposed to instruct the Sonos to decode the various audio formats automatically without having to keep changing settings.

| Mon 18 Oct 2021 10:33:35 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Tv auto play was on by default. I’ve read up on what it’s for, and if you’re listening to music and then turn on the tv it will stop playing music and play the tv’s sound via the sound bar.

| Mon 18 Oct 2021 21:27:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.