My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Dropouts in sound and video on live or recorded TV

(63 posts)
  1. Mars

Mars

special member

Your box has a dodgy tuner. I would return it.

| Thu 5 Aug 2021 8:15:46 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jacklx

Havenview
    I tend to agree with Mars' recent post, there's something seriously wrong there.
    Unfortunately I can't go through the procedure you suggest as my box is a FVP-5000T which seems to be performing OK now since re-positioning in order to enable improved air flow.
    If your Aura is no longer in warranty I would suggest you remove the cover to eyeball the innards, in particular looking for dust but also ensuring all connections are firmly seated.
    I assume your glitches are being recorded and can be played back.

| Thu 5 Aug 2021 9:17:19 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

havenview - 11 hours ago  » 
    There are numerous posts on several forums with regard to some poeple having issues with signal levels for the Humax Aura
    There seems a strong voice from some that this is an HDMI issue but HDMI faults manifest very different traits than signal issues and I believe now I have found proof that these issues are FIRMWARE related and I would like to invite members to try out some tests to add weight to my findings
    My signal issues manifest themselves only on certain muxes and they are "reliably faulty" in that I can tune to a channel and within a few minutes be guaranteed of viewing picture block freezes, audio pops and several seconds of I/B/P frame blocking.
    My antenna system is good and I have checked using 2 aerials and confirmed good signal AND acceptable levels to muliple other boxes so I was sure this was NOT a signal related issue. I experience good level and quality readings from the built in signal testfor some muxes but on the faulty ones the quality jumps from 100% down to as low as 40% in an erratic manner
    I also noted that there seemed to be an improvement when the box was restarted but only for a limited period - indeed other users have also posted on this too
    Then it finally clicked - the issue happens as a consequence of CHANGING channel - the testing procedure is this
    1. Tune to a faulty channel and observe the picture/sound break up
    2. Issue a reboot - I use the freeview button and cursor all the way over to the right to the power icon and choose restart
    3. Wait for the box to restart - the previous faulty channel should be the default tuned channel - DO NOT CHANGE CHANNEL
    4. Observe if there is any break up - in my case at this point the picture and sound stability has always been A1
    5. Now change channel to a different mux (an easy bet would be to go between an SD and an HD channel) and then return to the original suspect channel
    6. For me the break up and distortion starts happening almost immediately
    7. Reboot and all comes good
    In my system the worst channels always seem to be on COM5 (Winter Hill) so I've been checking using Sky Arts on channel 11. I tuned and rebooted to that Yesterday morning and left it alone and not changed channel. It has been rock solid every time I have checked - even with other channels recording. I have just changed channels now and straight away I get the picture and sound break up return
    I would be interested if other users who have experienced this issue could also try this as a means of wider testing

I too had a similar issue. Breakup on SD channels. If I rebooted and it started on an SD channel the picture was rock solid but if I switched channel and back again the channel would have picture break up. A reboot and it would be fine until a channel change. Luckily, I was able to replace the unit. New unit has no issues.

| Thu 5 Aug 2021 9:27:10 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

havenview

boogersa - 1 min ago  » 

I too had a similar issue. Breakup on SD channels. If I rebooted and it started on an SD channel the picture was rock solid but if I switched channel and back again the channel would have picture break up. A reboot and it would be fine until a channel change. Luckily, I was able to replace the unit. New unit has no issues.

Thank you, that's exacty the sort of confirmation I was after

Anyone else had/have the same issue? - this criteria seems to fit with lots of people that have had signal level issues

| Thu 5 Aug 2021 9:30:50 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jacklx

Havenview,
    Ignore my suggestion to eyeball the innards, boogersa has come to the rescue, send the thing back.
    Looking back through previous posts it seems we have seen different symptoms. My problem occurred on HD broadcasts during the weekend when the weather was very hot.

| Thu 5 Aug 2021 9:47:47 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dan_in_stoke

@Havenview,
    I think you might be on to something.
    Have similar symptoms, see my previous posts.
    Tried your suggestion and got the same outcomes.
    Started up and went to known problem channel. Watched it for 5 /10 mins good picture. Switched to another channel, watched that for a few minutes, back to the problem channel and picture breakup straight away. Reboot unit on same channel...rock solid picture.
    Switched channels back and forth, same results. Reboot fixes it again.
    Tried on the other muxes I have issues with and again, switching channels causes the breakup, rebooting fixes it.
    Changing channels several times then back then back to the faulting channel seems to fix it too.

Have you reported the issue to Humax support ?

| Thu 5 Aug 2021 21:41:48 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

havenview

Have you reported the issue to Humax support ?

Not as yet. I waited to update to 9.21 and I've been out of the country for a month. My box is still in warranty

I also found that red herrings were often invading the forums (HDMI cables, poor antennas, over-heating, too high signal etc) and I believe these were throwing people off the track for this specific issue. This sort of speculative fault finding often doesn't help.

I would like to hear from more people like you who have actually tried this.

Since the receiver is stable from boot up it cannot possibly be any of those other issues and my shout on the problem is an incomplete routing in the software that deals with the channel change (possibly introduced as a consequence of part of an update) and I'm not 100% convinced a new box will solve the issue

As a follow up question - do you know what transmitter you are tuned to and what muxes on that transmitter are most problematic for you?

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 10:44:22 #27 |
  8. Mars

Mars

special member

Your Aura is faulty, get it replaced. I am 100% certain that a new box will fix the problem.

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 13:37:32 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

havenview

Mars - 47 mins ago  » 
    Your Aura is faulty, get it replaced. I am 100% certain that a new box will fix the problem.

I am well aware that the unit is faulty

My question asked for shared experience from other users specifically with the procedure I listed

If you have personal experience of those specific issues then please share them

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 14:28:06 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jacklx

Havenview
    I'm frighfully sorry that you have decided that some of the previous posts are 'red herrings' and do not address your procedure of swiching off and on etc but I am sure that had we been made aware of this procedure earlier 'red herrings' would have been fewer.
    Looking at the initial posts problems were listed as simply video and sound break-up as the 'specific issue' and most replies addressed this.
    Fortunately Boogersa saw your post and responded.
    I'm still getting video and sound break-up on HD broacasts but much less frequently than the weekend of high temeratures. As I record pretty near everything we watch I'm not aware of any glitches until it's played back, swiching channels etc doesn't apply.

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 15:03:34 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.