My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Dropouts in sound and video on live or recorded TV

(63 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

havenview

jacklx - 35 mins ago  » 
    Havenview
    I'm frighfully sorry that you have decided that some of the previous posts are 'red herrings' and do not address your procedure of swiching off and on etc but I am sure that had we been made aware of this procedure earlier 'red herrings' would have been fewer.

I described the red herrings as "invading forums" and not specifically previous posts in this thread or even this specific forum as they also exist generally and elsewhere, particularly for this subject

As clarity to others who may be in the position to help with my question, the procedure specifically uses a reboot using the menu system rather than per the description of "switching off and on again" - that may not preserve the "restore to last tuned" feature

@jacklx - This procedure will not progress your fault with the FVP-5000T as it is specifically for the Aura; have you tried getting help in the 5000T forum as those specific owners may not view these posts and may be able to help? good luck in solving your issue.

There has already been 2 members who have verified this scenario - if there are others in the same boat that are able to try this then I welcome their feedback

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 16:04:04 #31 |
  2. Mars

Mars

special member

havenview - 1 hour ago  » 

Mars - 47 mins ago  » 
    Your Aura is faulty, get it replaced. I am 100% certain that a new box will fix the problem.

I am well aware that the unit is faulty
    My question asked for shared experience from other users specifically with the procedure I listed
    If you have personal experience of those specific issues then please share them

My experience is that replacing the unit solves the problem. Simples.

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 16:27:02 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

havenview

Thank you, again, for that but that isn't specific to the procedure I described and hasn't added further to your comment previous.

If you don't wish to share anything more specific then that's fine but perhaps you could refrain from not adding anything further and allow others to comment?

There has already been 2 members who have verified this scenario - if there are others in the same boat that are able to try this then I welcome their feedback

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 17:06:14 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dan_in_stoke

@havenview
    I’m having trouble with muxes 41, 44, 47 - Arq 1, Arq 2, SDN)
    Channels 26 Yesterday, 31 Fivestar, 46 Film4+1, 63 Blaze
    I believe my aerial is pointed towards Fenton or Sutton coalfield in the West Midlands.
    I spent a weekend compiling a spreadsheet where I listed times and duration before a channel would start to breakup. I forwarded this to support several weeks ago who said they would look into it.
    This was before the recent update though.
    Someone suggested trying an signal attenuator but it didn’t have any effect, I have yet to call an engineer to check my aerial.

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 19:55:36 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

havenview

Dan_in_stoke - 16 hours ago  » 
    @havenview
    I’m having trouble with muxes 41, 44, 47 - Arq 1, Arq 2, SDN)
    Channels 26 Yesterday, 31 Fivestar, 46 Film4+1, 63 Blaze
    I believe my aerial is pointed towards Fenton or Sutton coalfield in the West Midlands.
    I spent a weekend compiling a spreadsheet where I listed times and duration before a channel would start to breakup. I forwarded this to support several weeks ago who said they would look into it.
    This was before the recent update though.
    Someone suggested trying an signal attenuator but it didn’t have any effect, I have yet to call an engineer to check my aerial.

Your "problem" muxes match mine and you are on a different transmitter

I have tested 2 other humax boxes on my feed which has 2 independent aerials and every combo is good with all equipment except the Aura unless I do the reboot procedure

I have also tried 2 different attenuators with the same results as you

If you have tried the procedure and the box receives well after reboot then you have proven your aerial is good. It also proves that the Aura is at least capable (if placed into the right mode) of perfect reception which is why I am still suspecting firmware

Thank you for taking the time to check and reply.

| Sat 7 Aug 2021 12:58:43 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

havenview - 22 hours ago  » 

Thank you, again, for that but that isn't specific to the procedure I described and hasn't added further to your comment previous.
    If you don't wish to share anything more specific then that's fine but perhaps you could refrain from not adding anything further and allow others to comment?

What's with the snotty attitude?
    If, as you have already stated, you believe that your Aura is faulty, what exactly are you trying to prove by not replacing it?
    Any measurement made with a known faulty meter is unreliable and any deduction made using that evidence is irrelevant and foolhardy.

| Sat 7 Aug 2021 15:17:07 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

havenview

What's with the snotty attitude?
    If, as you have already stated, you believe that your Aura is faulty, what exactly are you trying to prove by not replacing it?
    Any measurement made with a known faulty meter is unreliable and any deduction made using that evidence is irrelevant and foolhardy.

I didn't ask if my box was faulty and my response asked graciously to keep the reply in key with the question

I have never said or implied that I am not (or indeed already) having the box replaced. I asked for other users in the same position as me to qualify my findings. If those findings are not relevant to you then fine, perhaps find something else that is and comment there.

I never quoted the signal indication as anything but a verification that it pertained to the video and audio issues - it was reproduceable and indicative hence relevant and worthy of mention

| Sat 7 Aug 2021 15:38:24 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

havenview - 6 hours ago  » 
    It also proves that the Aura is at least capable (if placed into the right mode) of perfect reception which is why I am still suspecting firmware

Another possibility is a design error in the chipset that can't be fixed by firmware. We have seen a couple of instances of that over the years on other Humax PVRs.

| Sat 7 Aug 2021 19:41:03 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gizmologist

As the person who started this topic I would like to close my involvement with a positive fix for my original problem.

Firstly though - apologies for my lack of involvement for more than 2 weeks - a family bereavement and all the subsequent issues stopped any observations or experiments.

As my problem of dropouts which were not repeated when replaying recorded material seemed to indicate an HDMI problem, I tried simply swapping the Aura cable from HDMI1 on the TV to HDMI3 (the Panasonic DWT850 on HDMI3 was changed to HDMI1). The problem is fully resolved (for the Aura) which has not 'glitched' once since. We rarely watch the Panasonic now as it's in run-off of old recorded material but no glitches on this either so far. Thanks Jacklx for the suggestion - although I only saw this after I had made the change you were perfectly correct!

The only conclusion I can draw from the experience is that if one is suffering from dropouts on an Aura which do not repeat when replaying a recording then change the Aura to another HDMI input on the TV.

All of the reception-related dropouts obviously will not be affected by this but if you might have BOTH then at least eliminate the HDMI-related ones.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful input. I'll come back if I find out more, but will also watch with interest as the firmware issues still seem to be relevant, not least because the HDMI problem may be firmware related.

| Sun 8 Aug 2021 14:16:28 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dan_in_stoke

Just to update
    I emailed support again today a linked them to this topic explaining havenview reproducible fault instructions and they got back to me offering to organise and exchange under warranty.

I’ll post the outcome when I have the new box.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 18:18:10 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.