My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Factory reset but recordings retained

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

For the first time since purchase a few years ago I tried a factory reset to potentially cure issues we were having a) with Disney+ intermittently playing the "splash screen" but then just a black screen (ffwd / rwd showed thumbnails of output, but when play was hit a static screen shown) and b) the aura's Chromecast being non-functioning for about 18 months.

Was quite surprised that after confiriming that this would wipe "everything" that on re-booting all of the previous recordings remained. Pleased, tbh, as that would have been my preference if I'd had the choice.

Not tested out whether the issues are cured, but was effectively treating this as a bog standard Android device which often require a fresh factory reset after a prolonged period of use to sort out "gremlins".

It's a shame this box hasn't fulfilled all of its potential, but it still does the right job for me day in day out (mostly!)

| Thu 20 Jul 2023 8:40:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

Would be interested if it cures the issues, because I have also started to see frozen screens every so often when forwarding, rewinding, or pausing Prime TV, YouTube etc.

The picture freezes, but the program obviously continues in the background because the sound continues.

The only way to recover is to stop and restart the playback.

Very annoying and has only started doing this over the past month or so.

| Thu 20 Jul 2023 9:08:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

You have to specifically select an option to format the hard drive which is good in your case as you didn't lose your recordings.

I think the text about wiping everything relates to the Apps, sig-ins etc. rather than the hard drive.

| Thu 20 Jul 2023 10:42:14 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Yep, coming from an Android phone though you would normally expect any data to be deleted too. Presumably the HDD is notionally separate from the storage where the OS is located hence the difference.

All the messages on screen were pretty unambiguous though about it deleting everything. Didn't see an option in that process to format too, but would have avoided that to retain recordings if I'd seen it.

| Thu 20 Jul 2023 14:29:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

larkim - 1 day ago  » 
    For the first time since purchase a few years ago I tried a factory reset to potentially cure issues we were having a) with Disney+ intermittently playing the "splash screen" but then just a black screen (ffwd / rwd showed thumbnails of output, but when play was hit a static screen shown) and b) the aura's Chromecast being non-functioning for about 18 months.
    Was quite surprised that after confiriming that this would wipe "everything" that on re-booting all of the previous recordings remained. Pleased, tbh, as that would have been my preference if I'd had the choice.
    Not tested out whether the issues are cured, but was effectively treating this as a bog standard Android device which often require a fresh factory reset after a prolonged period of use to sort out "gremlins".
    It's a shame this box hasn't fulfilled all of its potential, but it still does the right job for me day in day out (mostly!)

Don't know why you are surprised it clearly states in th Settings>e Freeview Play Preferences> Factory Reset blurb
    "Your recordings will be saved."

| Fri 21 Jul 2023 14:00:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Because that's not what was on screen. I reset via this menu, and then the next message was displayed.

Nothing about not deleting the recordings that I can read there.

Maybe there's an alternative route to resetting that I should have used?

| Fri 21 Jul 2023 19:09:50 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Now with attachments (hopefully!)

Attachments

1. Resize_20230721_191106_6574.jpg (90.2 KB, 1 downloads) 9 mnths old
    2. Resize_20230721_191106_6989.jpg (82.8 KB, 4 downloads) 9 mnths old
    | Fri 21 Jul 2023 19:11:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

larkim - 26 mins ago  » 
    Because that's not what was on screen. I reset via this menu, and then the next message was displayed.
    Nothing about not deleting the recordings that I can read there.
    Maybe there's an alternative route to resetting that I should have used?

Yes there is I said earlier.

Settings> Freeview Play Preferences> Factory Reset.

| Fri 21 Jul 2023 19:37:53 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Yes and then I showed you the screenshot of the route I used to reset where it doesn't say that. I've checked your route and you are of course correct, but you should also acknowledge that my route doesn't present that warning.

| Fri 21 Jul 2023 20:11:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

@larkim I think the route you took is what they call a Freeview reset which is more programs, apps and passwords etc.

I think it would be a nice idea if it did state that your recordings will be saved here too for a bit of reassurance. I guess they think that formatting is covered in the storage item at the top of the list.

Hopefully your Aura will perform better now. I know mine certainly has since I did mine last year, not a single unscheduled reboot since..... touch wood

| Sat 22 Jul 2023 11:27:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.