My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Film 4 missing and failed recording dialogue

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

austintaunton

Hi,
    We've had an FVP 5000T for several years. We receive our Freeview signals from a rather distant Mendip transmitter. On our TV we get Film 4 on channel 14 and More 4 on Channel 18 which I believe is what should be there. However on the PVR Channel 14 is More 4 and Channel 18 says Four music though we don't get a usable signal. Film 4 doesn't appear to be anywhere.
    We don't watch Film 4 much but I think the problem started about 18 months ago.
    Does anyone else have this issue and is there a solution please?
    One other issue (for now) is that when replaying most recordings the first thing to come up is a dialogue at the top of the screen saying "recording failed". Thankfully there is always the correct programme recorded so its not really a problem.

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 11:43:27 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Which Humax box is the PVR you refer to ? Guessing it's the new aura.

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 16:17:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Or perhaps a 5000t

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 16:20:43 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 27 mins ago  » 
    Or perhaps a 5000t

The OP refers to the 5000T and a PVR which I guess is using the same aerial as the TV. There's not enough information to be sure what the OP means.

If just a 5000T and a TV one or both may need manual tuning.

There could also be two aerials in use.

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 16:54:23 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

austintaunton - 5 hours ago  » 
    We receive our Freeview signals from a rather distant Mendip transmitter. On our TV we get Film 4 on channel 14 and More 4 on Channel 18 which I believe is what should be there. However on the PVR Channel 14 is More 4 and Channel 18 says Four music though we don't get a usable signal. Film 4 doesn't appear to be anywhere.
    Does anyone else have this issue and is there a solution please?

I would suggest doing an automatic retune but with the 'Smart tune' option deactivated. This will delete the schedule of future recordings but will not delete recordings that you have stored on the hard drive.

One other issue (for now) is that when replaying most recordings the first thing to come up is a dialogue at the top of the screen saying "recording failed".

I quite commonly see this only on BBC4 programmes; is it happening for you on all programmes? If not, which channels are likely to generate this message?

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 17:11:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

austintaunton

Hi,
    Thanks for your responses to date.
    The Model is FVP-5000T. 4 - 5 years old.
    I've not noticed if the failed recording warning is common to a group of channels. I'll take note over the coming days.
    I've tried a standard auto retune but that doesn't correct the channel issue. I'll locate 'smart tune' and try again with it switched off in due course. Thanks for the warning about the future recording schedule issue.

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 17:26:03 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

austintaunton

And yes - the Humax and TV share the same aerial feed. It goes first to the Humax and the aerial output then goes on to the TV. The signal strength is not fantastic and is badly degraded during heavy rain.

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 17:31:38 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

austintaunton - 36 mins ago  » 
    I've tried a standard auto retune but that doesn't correct the channel issue. I'll locate 'smart tune' and try again with it switched off in due course.

When you do an automatic tune, the first option you are presented with is to select either Smart or Default. For a non Smart Tune you want Default. The Smart Tune is a good idea but I don't think it is implemented very well and it is not uncommon it often leaves the tuning in a strange state. Being old school, I always do a manual tune which is quicker (once you have done it a few times) and you know exactly what you have done.

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 18:09:08 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

austintaunton - 39 mins ago  » 
    Hi,
    Thanks for your responses to date.
    The Model is FVP-5000T. 4 - 5 years old.
    I've not noticed if the failed recording warning is common to a group of channels. I'll take note over the coming days.
    I've tried a standard auto retune but that doesn't correct the channel issue. I'll locate 'smart tune' and try again with it switched off in due course. Thanks for the warning about the future recording schedule issue.

I think you have two issues.

Apologies I'm in a bit of a rush for a few days and so this post from me will be short.

Your channels being not in the correct position has been reported before on this forum and a non-smart retune did not help for at least one FVP owner.
    Try a manual retune. A manual retune involves wiping out all tuned channels and then tuning in the channel frequencies for the transmitter one by one, (for you there are 6).
    See https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1

The second issue may be with your aerial itself. Almost 2 years ago some of the frequencies from Mendip changed resulting in some aerials in Taunton struggling a bit. This isn't always obvious but your box might have realised that there was a minor blip in the signal and thus the "Recording Failed" message. If your signal appears stable and the only issue is an occasional misreported "Recording Failed" then I'd just forget about it and leave the aerial as it is.

And yes it would help to report back which group of channels are those that dis-appear and which are kept.
    See https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/channel-listings-industry-professionals
    If you page down and click on the "MUX" heading then the list of channels will be listed by MUX. If you loose reception for one channel from a MUX then almost always the others will also be lost. It is probably similar for your lost channels.

| Mon 12 Apr 2021 18:19:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Argus

I very occasionally record/watch films on Film4 but some weeks ago I noticed I couldn't find it's schedule or the channel – with other time pressures I ignored the problem and hoped it would resolve itself.
    But today I wanted to record a film coming up next week, and again couldn't find Film4 or Film4+1 So after trying a Smart automatic rescan of all the channels, I turned to this page for inspiration. I didn't fancy turning the Smart feature off but tried a Manual scan of Winter Hill's C34 which includes Film4. Still no success.
    So next I thought what if this is just an additive process and something is already occupying the TV channel slot where the scan is attempting to put Film4. I realised my Humax 5000T already had More4 on Channel 14, so I went in and deleted More4 from Channel 14, did a Manual scan of Winter Hills C34 and success, I now have Film4 on TV channel 14. I did the same for Film4+1 (not sure what the channel numbers were) and that now works OK.
    Hope this worhs for others.

| Sat 29 Jan 2022 19:40:03 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.