My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Firmware V 3.00.18

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rosen213

Hi,

Anyone else having picture stretching issues with the new firmware, I get the correct ratio for a second or two when playing media from external hdd, then stretches picture so people are thin and tall etc.

Didnt have this problem before the latest firmware, can anyone confirm this or have a solution.

thanks

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 13:38:14 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My box hasn't updated yet so can't check. However if you open a affected file in MediaInfo, export Treeview file analysis to a text file and post details, I will try and find similar to test once updated.

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 14:23:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Hi Rosen213....no I'm not seeing that, we are using DLNA from a NAS to the 1100s quite successfully bar a few sound issues.

I have installed the new firmware this morning and all seems well at this end. No obvious impacts....good or bad from the Netflix update.

Hope is helpful in your fault finding. happy to try tests if they help you.

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 14:57:57 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My box now updated. No problems with distortion, tried a few 16:9 1080p files.

| Mon 14 Dec 2015 17:45:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rosen213

Video format is 1920x1080, mpeg4 16:9, plays in VLC player on the PC with black bars top/bottom with no issues

Before the update it also played on the humax without stretching vertically

One thing I have noticed that when I click to play the media on the Humax, if I quickly press pause once the screen displays, it holds the correct format with the black bars present, once I unpause it just stretches up, I know its in the Humax box that the issue is, as it plays fine while connected directly to the USB/HDD port of my Sammy tv.

I only run it through the Humax as the HDMI is sent through my AV receiver for the surround sound etc that also works great with media.

Still trying to sort this issue, but it looks like I will have to revert back to the last firmware version.

cheers

*update

Just changed firmware back to version 2.02.46 and I have no stretching issue with the same media.

| Wed 16 Dec 2015 21:58:29 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rosen213 - 40 minutes ago  » 
    Video format is 1920x1080, mpeg4 16:9, plays in VLC player on the PC with black bars top/bottom with no issues
    One thing I have noticed that when I click to play the media on the Humax, if I quickly press pause once the screen displays, it holds the correct format with the black bars present, once I unpause it just stretches up, I know its in the Humax box that the issue is, as it plays fine while connected directly to the USB/HDD port of my Sammy tv.
    I only run it through the Humax as the HDMI is sent through my AV receiver for the surround sound etc that also works great with media.
    Still trying to sort this issue, but it looks like I will have to revert back to the last firmware version.
    cheers
    *update
    Just changed firmware back to version 2.02.46 and I have no stretching issue with the same media.

Can you post the full data requested in post 2. So far have not found an issue, you could PM me a link to a file with the issue. Without further info and unable to repeat the issue there is not a lot more that can be done. My box is routed to TV using HDMI via a Yamaha Aventage AV receiver.

It seems possibly down to an issue with the box not correctly identifying the correct pixel aspect ratio embedded in the file, but that is just a guess.

| Wed 16 Dec 2015 22:43:34 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rosen213

grahamlthompson - 19 minutes ago  » 

cheers
    *update

Can you post the full data requested in post 2. So far have not found an issue, you could PM me a link to a file with the issue. Without further info and unable to repeat the issue there is not a lot more that can be done. My box is routed to TV using HDMI via a Yamaha Aventage AV receiver.
    It seems possibly down to an issue with the box not correctly identifying the correct pixel aspect ratio embedded in the file, but that is just a guess.

Hi, I will install the software tomorrow and post the info, thanks, but it was stretching every file that was in the letterbox format

| Wed 16 Dec 2015 23:04:52 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rosen213 - 24 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 19 minutes ago  » 

cheers
    *update

Hi, I will install the software tomorrow and post the info, thanks, but it was stretching every file that was in the letterbox format

I will post the data for a files that display correctly for me.

Trouble is the 1080P label is often used to describe content that is not actually 1080p.

The aspect ratio of a picture is defined by two parameters.

The Horizontal and Vertical Pixel count.

The data defining the shape the pixels should be displayed on the display. This is known as the pixel aspect ratio (PAR). A full 1920 x 1080 16:9 has a 1:1 PAR (the pixel data is transmitted as providing square pixels). A full HD display has 1920 x 1080 square pixels (actually comprising 3 rectangular sub pixels of Red, Green and Blue). In this case you have 1:1 data to screen pixel correlation. A HD Ready screen with normally 768 lines has to use the implied PAR to recode the content to produce a undistorted 16:9 image.

All HD transmissions used to be 1440 x 1080 (A non square PAR), to display these on a square pixel Full-HD display also of course needs recoding in the display software.

Then you can add any video distorting settings in the source and display, it's not surprising that problems arise. Even when you have the basic idea of the maths involved it can be blindingly confusing.

Random so called 1080p24 that works perfectly on my box in respect of video aspect ratio.

Nominal bit rate : 1 584 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 808 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

| Wed 16 Dec 2015 23:54:06 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Paddington

rosen213 - 5 days ago  » 
    Hi,
    Anyone else having picture stretching issues with the new firmware, I get the correct ratio for a second or two when playing media from external hdd, then stretches picture so people are thin and tall etc.
    Didnt have this problem before the latest firmware, can anyone confirm this or have a solution.
    thanks

Hi there, signed up to say that I am having the same problem since the firmware updated itself over the weekend. Any film I watch through Twonky starts out 'stretched' on the vertical axis. I have subsequently found that pausing and unpausing several times causes the picture to flick to the correct aspect ratio. Normal TV is fine.

A little bit annoying that something that worked perfectly well before has been broken by the update that seems to be for an unrelated enhancement (netflix). It's also one more thing to explain to my partner who has just got up to speed with navigating to the Twonky server.

Please anyone advise if there is an easy way to roll back the firmware to the prior version as I have no need for Netflix? Or, if there is a fix on the way?

Thanks

| Thu 17 Dec 2015 16:30:52 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paddington - 2 minutes ago  » 

rosen213 - 5 days ago  » 
    Hi,
    thanks

Hi there, signed up to say that I am having the same problem since the firmware updated itself over the weekend. Any film I watch through Twonky starts out 'stretched' on the vertical axis. I have subsequently found that pausing and unpausing several times causes the picture to flick to the correct aspect ratio. Normal TV is fine.
    A little bit annoying that something that worked perfectly well before has been broken by the update that seems to be for an unrelated enhancement (netflix). It's also one more thing to explain to my partner who has just got up to speed with navigating to the Twonky server.
    Please anyone advise if there is an easy way to roll back the firmware to the prior version as I have no need for Netflix? Or, if there is a fix on the way?
    Thanks

See

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdcp-not-valid/page/6?quote=43643#postform

I will try Twonky from a Foxsat-hdr to see if there are problems.

The fix on the way is for HDMI issues with some TV's.

EDIT

No problems with streaming 16:9 content from a CF equipped Foxsat-hdr with Twonky Media server installed.

Might be worth making a note of your recording schedule and trying a factory reset.

What are you running Twonky media on ?

| Thu 17 Dec 2015 16:35:01 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.