My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

First scheduled recording didn't

(31 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

Just set up the new Aura, all channels found and looking good.

I scheduled series link on Grand Designs on 104 as my first test and could see it listed in the schedule, but tonight's episode didn't start recording even though the box was on (even on the correct channel) - I popped in the room 15 minutes in.

The schedule still shows the series link with the next recording in just under 7 days as expected.

The box has default settings and maybe this is just a case it missed the start signal, I wouldn't be surprised with C4. Are there channels with known issues and can I set it to record even if no signal is detected?

| Wed 5 Oct 2022 21:33:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

If you used Auto Tune to set up your Aura this can often pick up signals from one or more nearby transmitters,
    this can then cause some problems with recordings being missed.
    Check the EPG and see if there are duplicate channels in the 800's.
    If there are duplicate channels then this could be the problem and a manual tune is recommended.

First you would need to determine which is the most suitable transmitter to tune to.
    Click here, https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/detailed-transmitter-information
    Enter your postcode and house number, click check.
    The next page will give you details of the transmitters broadcasting in your area.

Under Digital Transmitters you will see 'most likely' and 'alternative transmitters'
    Assuming your aerial is pointing to the 'most likely' look under the 'N' (on a black background)
    to see the Channels/ Multiplexes that transmitter is broadcasting.
    Make a note of these numbers, especially the one under BBC B, this is the multiplex carrying the
    HD channels.

I would now do a factory reset of the Aura, and an auto tune with the aerial disconnected from the Aura.
    Reconnect the aerial.
    Now do a Manual Tune of the Aura.
    Press the Freeview button on the remote, select Settings and click on
    Channel and Broadcast> Manual Channel search.
    Click on Channel and from the list select one of the multiplex numbers you noted earlier.
    On the Strength and Quality meters make sure these are populated.
    Ideally Strength should be between 85- 95%. (100% can cause problems and may need an attenuator
    to dial it back).
    Quality should be 100%.
    Click on Search.
    When the search has been completed for that mux press Save.
    You will then need to press Manual Search again, enter the next multiplex/ mux number and repeat.
    When you manually search for the HD broadcasts you must change the default Transmission from DVB-T to DVB-T2.
    All SD channel searches Transmission must be set to DVB-T.

Go through the EPG and make sure there are no duplicate channels in your list.
    Set up a recording as a test from the guide, try not to choose a programme that is just about to start
    as you may have already missed the signal for the recording to start, try a programme that is starting in
    about 5 minutes or more.

| Thu 6 Oct 2022 5:23:21 #2 |
  3. davidrew

davidrew

special member

My series link for Grand Designs didn't work either last night. It's recorded all the other episodes in the series without issue and next week is also scheduled.

I think it's a broadcaster issue. All the Channel 4 channels have been a bit all over the place the last week. On Sunday it only recorded 1 minute of the F1 on C4HD and did the same on +1 after I noticed it hadn't started about half an hour in and I quickly scheduled the +1 to catch-up.

I also noticed earlier in the week no C4 channels (4HD, Film4, More4 4+1....) were populated in the guide after early Saturday on the Humax or Freeview App/Online but that has since been fixed. I suspect there was a problem somewhere which may explain the missed/botched recordings.

| Thu 6 Oct 2022 9:05:04 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

@Davidrew I saw exactly the same issues you mention with F1 so it seems this was me being unlucky with my test recording.
    Ever since C4 went offline for a few days that time I have had issues... on my smart TV I get terrible lib-sync issues and black glitches in the inbuilt DRV only on C4. It's one reason I wanted the Humax as 90% of my TV watching is on C4.

EPG being slow to populate I've seen before - is this done via internet or through the TV aerial somehow?

Can I manually schedule recordings from time X to Y or only via the EPG? I've seen the padding options set to auto which I could change, would that disable the recording start signal and just start based on the original schedule?

| Thu 6 Oct 2022 9:13:09 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Misterhumax - 12 hours ago  » 
    I scheduled series link on Grand Designs on 104 as my first test and could see it listed in the schedule, but tonight's episode didn't start recording even though the box was on (even on the correct channel) - I popped in the room 15 minutes in.

The Grand Designs issue was due to Channel 4 changing the series CRID. They were using the same series CRID for "Grand Designs: The Street" in the metadata for the transmitted EPG but then changed it to the correct series CRID. Any one using series link to set the recording while the series CRID in the epg was incorrect would have had the issue.

Misterhumax - 12 hours ago  » 
    The schedule still shows the series link with the next recording in just under 7 days as expected.

Are you sure that is the correct programme and not the signed version of Grand Designs: The Street?
    Either way I'd delete the schedule entry and reset it up again.

| Thu 6 Oct 2022 10:23:10 #5 |
  6. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Channel 4 is turning in to a catalogue of 1-minute recordings. The latest episodes of The Great and Taskmaster have now fallen victim.

I've now gone through the whole EPG for Channel 4 and cancelled and re-added all recording reservations.

| Thu 6 Oct 2022 22:23:06 #6 |
  7. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

<Deleted>

| Fri 7 Oct 2022 14:45:44 #7 |
  8. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

davidrew - 16 hours ago  » 
    Channel 4 is turning in to a catalogue of 1-minute recordings. The latest episodes of The Great and Taskmaster have now fallen victim.
    I've now gone through the whole EPG for Channel 4 and cancelled and re-added all recording reservations.

I agree, Channel 4 recordings are totally unreliable at the moment. I lost Grand Designs on Wednesday night to a 1-minute recording and again last night with My Grandparents War. I hate using All4 Catchup because of the ads, but needs must. Fortunately last night I spotted the issue in time to set up MGW on 4+1, which recorded fine. Only workaround would seem to be a manual recording for C4HD progs.

| Fri 7 Oct 2022 14:54:35 #8 |
  9. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Misterhumax - 1 day ago  » 

Can I manually schedule recordings from time X to Y or only via the EPG? I've seen the padding options set to auto which I could change, would that disable the recording start signal and just start based on the original schedule?

Yes you can. In the Schedule, go to the top of the list where it says "Add Recording" and set up the appropriate data. The Aura uses the 'Start Time' and 'Duration' method of setting. If you select 'Repeat', you have to select each individual day you want the recording to take place. Don't forget to go down below Saturday and select Save or your selections will be lost. Then you need a final OK to finish.
    Surprisingly, none of this information is in the online manual.

| Fri 7 Oct 2022 14:59:14 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

kr002

special member

Just happened to me 1m recording bake off extra slice and gogglebox on CH4HD

| Fri 7 Oct 2022 21:06:06 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.