My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Fit new hard drive to 1010s

(14 posts)
  1. Davy

Davy

special member

Is it easy to fit a 2tb hard drive to replace the 1tb I have in my box? Have had it since new when they first came out and only problems I have had is running out of space and having to delete or watch recordings before I usually want to.
    I had a look at a Sky 2tb box and their hard drive is not very good to get at.
    If it's just a matter to take the cover off and replace then I will go for it but don't want to in case it's not.
    Plus what's the best one to buy for it and any easy instructions would help.
    Many thanks....
    I have the White 1010s model.

| Mon 31 Aug 2015 12:39:46 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The hardest part is locating the case screws (Hidden inside the feet, remove pads).

The correct type of drive is called a CE or AV drive (Seagate and WD are good). Graham and I upgraded to WD20EURS but now seldom available and replaced with WD20EURX.

| Mon 31 Aug 2015 13:26:06 #2 |
  3. Davy

Davy

special member

Looks a good hard drive according to reports I have just read about.
    Once the case is removed, is the hard drive easy to replace or is it hidden under a bundle of wires etc. some I have done on other boxes were just a matter of taking old one out and replacing with new one etc
    Any step by step instructions at all? Many thanks...

| Tue 1 Sep 2015 8:24:49 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hard-disk-upgrade-using-wd20eurs-2tb

Note the comments on the jumper between 5 and 6. We are still not sure if needed. Suggest you find one somewhere just in case.
    PC mother boards usually have a few mostly doing nothing (just sitting on one pin).

I note that you have a HDR-1010S - I expect the mother board layout is much the same but don't know.

| Tue 1 Sep 2015 9:25:42 #4 |
  5. Davy

Davy

special member

Is the WD20EURX. just as good as the other hard drive? Reason I'm skiing is I can buy on new but other HD would be refurbished from America..

| Fri 25 Sep 2015 14:50:41 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Yes, it may need the jumper as I think it is a faster drive.
    The jumper advice was based upon the Foxsat needing it but that may not be true of the HDR-1xx0S series.
    Let us know if fine without.

| Fri 25 Sep 2015 17:09:41 #6 |
  7. Davy

Davy

special member

I used the WD20EURX because the other model I can't get here but only refurbished from the States.
    It fitted perfect as instructed but took about 5 mins or so to format.
    This is what I got..

Available Size.............1782.8GB
    Used Size................... 0.2GB
    Reserved Size............ 80.1GB

Total Size....................1863.0GB

Everything is working 100% except will try to access some of my recordings from other HD as I have a caddy for it..

Didn't require a jumper for it...

| Sat 26 Sep 2015 14:41:28 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Davy - 56 minutes ago  » 
    I used the WD20EURX because the other model I can't get here but only refurbished from the States.
    It fitted perfect as instructed but took about 5 mins or so to format.
    This is what I got..
    Available Size.............1782.8GB
    Used Size................... 0.2GB
    Reserved Size............ 80.1GB
    Total Size....................1863.0GB
    Everything is working 100% except will try to access some of my recordings from other HD as I have a caddy for it..
    Didn't require a jumper for it...

Assuming you mean recordings made from the boxes own tuners, pretty sure you will not be able to use them using USB. The recording partition on the freetime units is LUKS encrypted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup

| Sat 26 Sep 2015 15:41:50 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I suggest anyone wanting to upgrade the disk on a HDR-1100S should check what it has fitted already. No reports as yet on this.

| Sat 26 Sep 2015 16:01:14 #9 |
  10. Davy

Davy

special member

Unfortunately I can see the files on the old HD using a partition programme but cannot access or even change then to say avi or mkv for example so feel I will loose them.
    The programmes I made to be recorded in the future are still there if you see what I mean, only recorded ones from the tuners I previously made I cannot use..

| Sat 26 Sep 2015 17:15:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.