My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Freesat problem

(58 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The custom firmware loads it's utilities from disk, If Linux failed to mount the disk properly OR is unable to read it then the custom firmware would not run correctly.

Another possibility would be booting into Linux on a PC and seeing if the repair utility can fix the mounted disk.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 14:46:56 #21 |
  2. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

Windows 10 has a built in Linux option, could this be a choice ?

I am also thinking of keeping the new Humax, and connecting it in parallel with the existing unit. However I would need a dual coax splitter, are you aware of any such hardware ?

Thanks for your inputs by the way.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 14:57:07 #22 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

"Windows 10 has a built in Linux option, could this be a choice?"
    New to me - let us know how you get on with it and if it can read the EXT3 filing system.

Unlike TV coax Satellite cables are active and signals control to the LNB which one of 4 bands to switch to. You would end up with two units both trying to select different bands.
    Running extra cables gives full independence.
    There are devices that will split satellite cables that are OK if you only want to use one unit at a time or only allow one unit to be able to switch bands.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 15:45:32 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sloppyjoe - 50 minutes ago  » 
    Windows 10 has a built in Linux option, could this be a choice ?
    I am also thinking of keeping the new Humax, and connecting it in parallel with the existing unit. However I would need a dual coax splitter, are you aware of any such hardware ?
    Thanks for your inputs by the way.

Not aware Windows 10 has any built in support for EXT 3 without a 3rd party driver.

https://thelinuxcode.com/mount-linux-partition-ext4-ext3-ext2-windows-10-8-7/

If you can read the disk using a PC you can copy the recordings. The video partition is in SDA 3 and copy them back to the new hard disk after reloading the full CF. Easiest way is to use a USB drive dock

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Docking-Including-External-Tool-Free/dp/B00IS7Y96I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1540911716&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+sata+dock

If you install a new hard disk you can copy the recordings back.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 15:52:31 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

REPASSAC - 45 minutes ago  » 
    "Windows 10 has a built in Linux option, could this be a choice?"

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about I haven't tried it but I can't see any reference to it having an ability to access ext3 file systems; it is more about allowing Linux command line tools to be used within Windows.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 16:33:05 #25 |
  6. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

Here is my plan.
    I have ordered a 1TB drive, which I will install in the HDR. Format it and then install the CF, and test that everything works.

I will then try to read the old disk on my PC ( I have some existing hardware that may work, if not I will get the suggested unit). I have installed the Ex2Fsd software and that is working. If all goes well I will try and copy at least one video and then FTP that to the new drive on the HDR and then test that it plays.

Does this make sense ???

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 16:50:38 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sloppyjoe - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Here is my plan.
    I have ordered a 1TB drive, which I will install in the HDR. Format it and then install the CF, and test that everything works.
    I will then try to read the old disk on my PC ( I have some existing hardware that may work, if not I will get the suggested unit). I have installed the Ex2Fsd software and that is working. If all goes well I will try and copy at least one video and then FTP that to the new drive on the HDR and then test that it plays.
    Does this make sense ???

You will likely need the fix filepaths package to correct the .hmt files

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 17:07:46 #27 |
  8. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

grahamlthompson - 32 minutes ago  » 

sloppyjoe - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Here is my plan.
    Does this make sense ???

You will likely need the fix filepaths package to correct the .hmt files

All being well and I have the CF installed, I should be able to Webif and add any these options. Fingers crossed.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 17:41:50 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sloppyjoe - 53 minutes ago  » 
    Here is my plan.
    Does this make sense ???

What make and model Hard Drive have you ordered

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 17:44:33 #29 |
  10. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 

sloppyjoe - 53 minutes ago  » 
    Here is my plan.
    Does this make sense ???

What make and model Hard Drive have you ordered

this one
    Seagate Pipeline HD (1TB) Hard Drive (5900rpm) 6Gb/s SATA 64MB (Internal)

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 17:47:23 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.