My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Freesat problem

(58 posts)
  1. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

I have also ordered the docking device as it seems a better one then the slightly older hardware I have..

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 18:00:49 #31 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sloppyjoe - 18 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 

sloppyjoe - 53 minutes ago  » 
    Here is my plan.
    I have ordered a 1TB drive, which I will install in the HDR. Format it and then install the CF, and test that everything works.
    I will then try to read the old disk on my PC ( I have some existing hardware that may work, if not I will get the suggested unit). I have installed the Ex2Fsd software and that is working. If all goes well I will try and copy at least one video and then FTP that to the new drive on the HDR and then test that it plays.
    Does this make sense ???

What make and model Hard Drive have you ordered

this one
    Seagate Pipeline HD (1TB) Hard Drive (5900rpm) 6Gb/s SATA 64MB (Internal)

That should be fine. I ask because newer WD drives need a jumper fitting to use on a Foxsat-hdr. Seagate drives auto reduce the transfer speeds.

| Tue 30 Oct 2018 18:07:23 #32 |
  3. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

Moments ago, I took out the old disk from the HDR and put it into my old docking unit, and using Ex2 Volume Manager I can see all the disk folders and files. So I am copying the entire folder, named "video" to my PC. Says it will take 2 hrs and 10 mins. Next question is, do I need any other folder to copy ? or , if all goes well, copy this to my new disk, after it has been formatted etc on the HDR ?

| Wed 31 Oct 2018 9:21:18 #33 |
  4. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

The other thing that might be useful to know, is that Ex2 reports 4 EXT3 folders. 1, reports size as 2055 MB and used 100 MB, 2 reports size as 101 MB and has 5 MB, 3 reports size as 438 GB and has 232 GB (I am copying this one, and 4 reports size as 25 GB and has 0.

| Wed 31 Oct 2018 9:27:57 #34 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sloppyjoe - 1 hour ago  » 
    Moments ago, I took out the old disk from the HDR and put it into my old docking unit, and using Ex2 Volume Manager I can see all the disk folders and files. So I am copying the entire folder, named "video" to my PC. Says it will take 2 hrs and 10 mins. Next question is, do I need any other folder to copy ? or , if all goes well, copy this to my new disk, after it has been formatted etc on the HDR ?

You just need the Video folder. A recording comprises the main video audio data xxx.ts and sidecar files xxx.nts, xxx,htm and .tac files. The .tac files are small graphics used for the chapter thumbnails. The foxsat will create this during overnight house keeping do no need t o copy these files back.

When you set up the box with a new hard drive you should be able to use the usb dock and connect it to one of the Foxsat-HDR usb ports and replay the original recordings direct from the old disk. You will find the Video folder in the SDA3 partition.

The other ones aren't folders but different partitions like C: and D: in windows. Linux partitions use the SDAx naming convention. The recordings are in partition 3 (SDA 3). They are used to hold users Music and photo content. 0.ts is the time shift buffer file and a corrupted 0.ts may well be the problem with the disk. Rename it as say 0.old will force the foxsat to create a new one. After this I wouldn't be surprised that the old disk springs into life if you re-install it.

After installing the new hard disk you can use the format command to change the size of the user partition to make max space for recordings. I forget the minimum size you can set it to. Perhaps Repassac will remember.

| Wed 31 Oct 2018 10:54:40 #35 |
  6. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

Just finished copying, and did as you suggested and renamed the 0.ts file. Put the disk back in and up it came. No remote operations at first and then after about 30 seconds they started to work. I am now trying to get webif running and I can connect, and it says Download and install etc etc,,and I click on that and it seems to be doing something and then disconnects, so I am just reclicking to see if it will eventually re-install.

| Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:14:05 #36 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

"After installing the new hard disk you can use the format command to change the size of the user partition to make max space for recordings. I forget the minimum size you can set it to. Perhaps Repassac will remember."

I don't really remember - it depends on if you will upload user movies and also if you have installed the custom firmware and services. I do remember that the space you can add to the recordings partition is small and hardly worth the bother.

| Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:14:07 #37 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sloppyjoe - 1 minute ago  » 
    Just finished copying, and did as you suggested and renamed the 0.ts file. Put the disk back in and up it came. No remote operations at first and then after about 30 seconds they started to work. I am now trying to get webif running and I can connect, and it says Download and install etc etc,,and I click on that and it seems to be doing something and then disconnects, so I am just reclicking to see if it will eventually re-install.

As you have a copy of your recordings try formatting the hard drive from the menus. The basic CF is in NVRAM so provided you can access using the box IP address in a browser you should be able install the full package,

| Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:18:31 #38 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 13 minutes ago  » 
    "After installing the new hard disk you can use the format command to change the size of the user partition to make max space for recordings. I forget the minimum size you can set it to. Perhaps Repassac will remember."
    I don't really remember - it depends on if you will upload user movies and also if you have installed the custom firmware and services. I do remember that the space you can add to the recordings partition is small and hardly worth the bother.

Found it it adds about 26GB to the recording partition. My Foxsat has the minimum size and there's no problem with the CF.

http://www.astra2sat.com/freesat/hard-drive-upgrade/

That's about 6hrs of HD recording time.

| Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:29:24 #39 |
  10. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

grahamlthompson - 12 minutes ago  » 

sloppyjoe - 1 minute ago  » 

As you have a copy of your recordings try formatting the hard drive from the menus. The basic CF is in NVRAM so provided you can access using the box IP address in a browser you should be able install the full package,

Well it seems that renaming did not completely fix it. The unit is freezing up and rebooting, so perhaps I need to wait for the new disk, or as you say, try reformatting.

| Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:32:49 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.