My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Freesat YOUTUBE app hangs HDR-1000S box

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

spike

I've been having problem with the YOUTUBE app on my HDR-1000S failing to load certain videos and then effectively killing the box so that only a power off/on gets it working again.

Looking around the web, I see that similar problems were seen back in 2013 (reported on the digital spy site), but I'm not sure what the resolution was, if any.

It's quite reproducible for me, not always 100%, but not far off. Maybe someone could give it a try and see if they have the same issues ?

Try this ....
    Search for Amy Shira Teitel (she runs a vintage space channel). The problem occurs on many of the videos on that channel.
    There is a video titled "How the Lunar Module Launched from the Moon". It has a red stop sign on the graphic (it relates to the story) which fairly consistently gives the problem, but as I say, many others do. The videos play fine on desktop YOUTUBE and the YOUTUBE apps on my android devices and blu-ray player.

When it starts, I get the LOADING message for an advertisment. Nothing displays, then it starts LOADING again. Nothing again, just black screen. If I go back, it seems no other videos will play. When I try to exit YOUTUBE, the box hangs, it won't respond to any remote buttons or buttons on the box, only a power cycle gets it back.

The issue may well relate to the ads it's trying to show or this version of the app, but I'd like to understand if it's worth even looking for a problem resolution.

Appreciate any help.

| Tue 30 Aug 2016 6:55:20 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Confirmed on HDR 1010 and 1100S, appears to work ok on a HB 1000S.

Will highlight to Humax Towers - Edit: Done

| Tue 30 Aug 2016 7:51:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

spike

Thanks Barry, appreciate it.

| Tue 30 Aug 2016 8:02:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

spike - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've been having problem with the YOUTUBE app on my HDR-1000S failing to load certain videos and then effectively killing the box so that only a power off/on gets it working again.
    The videos play fine on desktop YOUTUBE and the YOUTUBE apps on my android devices and blu-ray player.

I appreciate when you buy something like the HDR 1000s which advertisers as having these apps it's not unreasonable to expect that they work. However, you have your answer in the passage above. Use the apps on your SMART TV or Android device/Blu-Ray player.

I have the HDR 1000s and yet have nothing but trouble with the All4 app freezing, going blocky and turning purple and green. Doesn't matter what I do it still doesn't work. I now cast from my Android phone to Chromecast and it works perfectly every time. Sometimes these things aren't worth getting chewed about when there are better alternatives available.

| Tue 30 Aug 2016 8:52:16 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Humax Towers confirmed findings - engineers investigating.

| Tue 30 Aug 2016 13:42:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Preston Dave

My father-in-law and I both own a HDR-1000s that have the same problems.

When you select a video the screen just says Loading... and the box crashes until the power is turned off at the wall.

This is only a recent problem, starting around Christmas (ish)

Is there anything we can do to fix?

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 10:26:42 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I can't try this at the moment. Has any of you tried using a smartphone or tablet to find the content and then casting the content to the HDR1000S ?

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 16:18:12 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Preston Dave

Yep, tried that and same problem. Tried logging off / on but also doesn't stop it crashing

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 17:21:57 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Preston Dave - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Yep, tried that and same problem. Tried logging off / on but also doesn't stop it crashing

Thanks - I remembered a previous issue where Youtube wouldn't work when accessed directly but it would when cast from my smartphone.

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 17:46:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

spike

well, I raised this originally, so here's my current situation ....

soon after Barry's response, the problem went away, but then a few months later I noticed that anything loading that started with and advertisement seemed unresponsive and slow, but eventually played. That problem then seemed to go away and all was fine.

I noticed Preston Daves's comments today and coincidentally I've just tried to watch a youtube clip and had the same total hang up, requiring a total power recycle.

Sorry haven't any more info, if i can find a reproducible example I'll post it up.

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 17:53:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.