My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-4000T Hard Drive

(64 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My 5000T and also a HDR-1000S both have a 2TB Seagate Pipeline in them. Updating both was simple and both drives are near silent. The 4000/5000T uses clips requiring a screwdriver push to release them to open the case.

Because the recording schedule is held in NVRAM you don't lose the recording schedule after fitting a new drive.

| Mon 15 Oct 2018 13:46:17 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

smiffy12

I am so sorry to have fallen off the radar here. Just had an email about posts regarding my post.

Well, the WD Red 2TB has worked absolutely flawlessly. It records and plays back every day. It is a teeny bit noisy when it fires up, but it's really not noticeable at all once the TV is on.

So, would I recommend the 2TB WD Red? Yes I would, but I have nothing else to gauge it against other than it has been flawless for me.

I did have horrific trouble with the remote control though. The box wouldn't respond to RC commands most of the time. In the end, I found something somewhere that said the remote was likely junk. I called Humax (Ireland somewhere I think) and complained. They wanted £30 from me. I told them NO. I advised them that the ball was in their court. they either supplied me with a new RC as the original wasn't fit for purpose of they lost me as a Humax customer. They sent a replacement RC and it has been a joy....

So, the 4000T has been a great device once the RC was sorted. Only issue is it's not great on WiFi. Put an ethernet cable in though and it's fine.

| Mon 15 Oct 2018 14:10:11 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

smiffy12 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well, the WD Red 2TB has worked absolutely flawlessly. It records and plays back every day. It is a teeny bit noisy when it fires up, but it's really not noticeable at all once the TV is on.
    So, would I recommend the 2TB WD Red? Yes I would, but I have nothing else to gauge it against other than it has been flawless for me.

Thanks for the update. Experience from people who tried something different is always valuable. If you remember, another update in a year or so would be great.

| Mon 15 Oct 2018 15:44:45 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

Thankyou Smiffy12. Inspired by your success I swapped out the 500GB drive for a 1TB I had spare.
    It was easy to export the recordings via USB, and reimport them onto the larger disc.

| Fri 19 Oct 2018 15:04:51 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

On this topic, my fvp-4000T is well out of warranty so I plucked up the courage to try swapping the old drive out, it was becoming slightly noisy at 5 years old. Here's what I did just for info. This is not to be followed (disclaimer).

The original drive is labelled Seagate video and is 500Gb.

I bought a new Seagate Skyhawk 2Tb, it is slightly thicker than the 500Gb drive as it contains two disks or platters, rather than one.
    Skyhawk is the surveillance model which is designed for long hours of recording low power and low noise, its the equivalent to WD Purple and the successor to the pipeline.

Best to avoid old Pipeline drives as they were discontinued in 2014 and the chances are any found will be very second hand (i.e. knackered).

So removing the warranty void labels on the unit, there is one screw at the centre back and 5 tabs on the bottom to release the top cover. There are four screws under the drive to remove and one clamp arm that unscrews from the main board. The clamp arm holds a bit of metalic foam to the top of the drive which I guess is there for earthing and damping vibration. The arm has two prongs at the level of the 500Gb drive and one higher up that is at the exact level of the new thicker drive. Unscrew the clamp arm and bend up two lower prongs so they are out of the way. Then the old drive just lifts out by lifting up the back and sliding it back from the connectors. Slide the new drive in carefully making sure the connectors line up. Refit the four screws underneath that hold the drive and refit the clamp arm and metalic foam strip. Refit the cover, that it!

I didn't have to format the drive it was immediately recognised and showed 1863Gb free so far it has worked for a good few hours of recording.
    Atb.

--- End

| Tue 5 May 2020 15:19:52 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

smiffy12

OK Guys, I thought another update might be in order. This Humax box has been pretty much on constantly, recording and used daily for over 2.5 years now. The WD red 2TB drive has been flawless (touch wood it remains that way) and I am so pleased I did this upgrade.The only slight niggle with the 4000 is that the picture quality isn't fantastic (but that doesn't really matter) and the machine itself is a little slow to start and navigate around, but it is freeview after all....no monthly costs....what's not to like :).

To get to the chase, 2TB WD Red drive works wonderfully.

| Tue 5 May 2020 15:59:11 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

smiffy12 - 19 mins ago  » 
    This Humax box has been pretty much on constantly, recording and used daily for over 2.5 years now. The WD red 2TB drive has been flawless (touch wood it remains that way) and I am so pleased I did this upgrade.

Thanks that is interesting.

The only slight niggle with the 4000 is that the picture quality isn't fantastic (but that doesn't really matter)

Picture quality here is good; have you experimented with different Resolution settings (I use 1080p) and checked that the TV isn't doing any image processing on the input from the HDMI port used by the Humax?

| Tue 5 May 2020 16:18:45 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Same subject but a variation, I have just installed a Seagate 2TB in a FVP 4000.
    the machine powered up and when I tried some test recordings and they were accepted and seemed to be recording, but when I tried playback It would not play and I got a message stating the files can not be played as they are the wrong format. I assume the hard drive is not formatted with the correct one FAT32 or NTFS But I don't get an answer as to which when I google it.
    can confirm that the schedule shows all the programs I have recorded as series but I suppose they will not play either till the correct format is used, Am I right?

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 16:00:26 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Do a factory reset and format the drive at the same time.

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 16:09:53 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mactoshb - 3 hours ago  » 
    Same subject but a variation, I have just installed a Seagate 2TB in a FVP 4000.

What model of Seagate drive please?

the machine powered up and when I tried some test recordings and they were accepted and seemed to be recording, but when I tried playback It would not play and I got a message stating the files can not be played as they are the wrong format. I assume the hard drive is not formatted with the correct one FAT32 or NTFS But I don't get an answer as to which when I google it.

The format will certainly not be FAT32 nor NTFS. I think it will probably be ext4. Try formatting it via the menus on the Humax (Freeview button> Settings> Storage). If that fails I would send the drive back to the vendor as not fit for purpose.

can confirm that the schedule shows all the programs I have recorded as series but I suppose they will not play either till the correct format is used, Am I right?

Not sure where you are looking; the schedule of future recordings is held in NVRAM so remains in place when the hard drive is changed. Th list of recordings made will show what might be playable.

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 19:30:59 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.