My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-4000T Hard Drive

(64 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Hi, me again, I did the factory reset and did the format option and I have also put a new !TB in the box then did the factory reset with format and the result is that I tell it to record and it seems to be recording but on going into the recordings list All the programs I told it to record are there but on playing I just get the line down below that tells you what has been played and the length.
    No video plays and the time line reads 0.00 at the end and a message comes up saying "cannot support this video file due to invalid file format'
    The drive was formatted NTFS before the Factory reset with format and the drive was new with Seatools reporting zero hours run. it is a Seagate Barracuda 7200I dont' know if a 7200 RPM drive is suitable for the Humax?
    I also tried another drive which is a second hand one but passes the Seatools Smart and Long generic test, so I would doubt if it is the drive it is obviously being detected and the recordings list shows but all six I have tried recording give me the message above
    Incidentally, I have just restored the original drive with 804 recordings and all play back as they should.
    Any further advice you can give would be much appreciated

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 12:44:29 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Sorry. until now I missed your question asking which drive it was "Seagate Barracuda 7200" is the answer I do not know if a 7200 drive is suitable
    Thanks Boyd

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 13:10:14 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

Hi Mactoshb,

Barracuda is for computers it's overkill for video its also unnecessarily expensive but should be more than capable (Is it 2Tb or under?). The rpm shouldn't make any difference just might make it noisier. Sounds like you did the format outside of the PVR, *** the idea was to let the PVR do the format theres an option in settings storage.
    When I did mine with a new Skyhawk drive I tried doing the format which failed after about 5 seconds of thinking about it. Then I found it didn't seem to need formatting and its been ok for a year now.
    Anyway suggest let PVR do the format.

Good luck.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 13:35:27 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

Couple more suggestions.
    - find out the format of the original, (windows, file manager, properties) and use that format on the new drive.
    - a full power off and on of the PVR.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 13:46:17 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mactoshb - 2 hours ago  » 
    Sorry. until now I missed your question asking which drive it was "Seagate Barracuda 7200" is the answer I do not know if a 7200 drive is suitable

I would have expected it to work although it isn't optimised for PVR usage which might result in stuttering on playback if there are any marginal sectors. Can you give the exact full model number please (should be on the label on the hard drive) just so that I can check it isn't some unusual variant that isn't compatible with the Humax?

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 15:50:37 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Could it be anything to with the jumpers being in the wrong place?

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 16:34:58 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 28 mins ago  » 
    Could it be anything to with the jumpers being in the wrong place?

Without knowing the exact drive model it is hard to be sure; the only jumper that is documented for the Barracuda 7200.12 Serial ATA limits the SATA speed to 1.5 Gb/s so if there is a jumper fitted it might be worth trying it without a jumper.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 17:05:47 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Hi, sorry for the delay in my answer.
    The drive was formatted (Assuming the command was carried out) bythe machine I told it to format and it took no time at all to come up as done and I mean one second or so,s so I have my doubts it did anything.
    The model number is Seagate ST31000524A P/N -521 F/W JC4A9YP194S
    Boyd

| Tue 10 Aug 2021 20:35:07 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mactoshb - 28 mins ago  » 
    The drive was formatted (Assuming the command was carried out) bythe machine I told it to format and it took no time at all to come up as done and I mean one second or so,s so I have my doubts it did anything.

I think all the format command does is setup the filesystem (it doesn't do any sector by sector checks) but one second does sound a bit too quick.

The model number is Seagate ST31000524A P/N -521 F/W JC4A9YP194S

I think there should be an additional 6 characters between "P/N" and "-521"?

| Tue 10 Aug 2021 21:07:21 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

Just some last suggestions, clutching at straws...
    That's a 1Tb drive should be ok in theory, is it new or used? where did you get it from? The sata interface should auto-negotiate speed.

Have a go recording a program for a few minutes by pressing the red R record button while watching and see what happens can it be played back.
    Try a scheduled recording complete.
    Can you rewind a program you have been viewing for a few minutes.

| Tue 10 Aug 2021 22:13:25 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.