My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-4000T Hard Drive

(64 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Hi, mactoshb again, the drive is new and came in a sealed antistatic envelope from a dealer on eBay----I have recorded about ten full programs, the red"R"button works every time and they all get listed as usual under Recordings and on pressing the highlighted recording the screen goes black with only the timeline on the bottom with the times all showing 0.00. On attempting to play, instead of playing I get the message about the wrong file, I nearly forgot, there is no visible reaction to the red R button either in the guide or when playing a liveprogram on the 4000 not even a blink.
    Boyd

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 16:21:16 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

Thanks for info,
    Try
    Settings, PVR Settings, Internal Storage, HDD Test

other than that I would be close to attempting to return the drive and going back to the original or getting a different drive.
    Sorry I have no fix but hope you keep us all updated, ATB.

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 16:39:16 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

Some posts out there about a stopped clock, check the clock is ok and working.

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 16:45:24 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mactoshb - 20 hours ago  » 
    Hi, mactoshb again, the drive is new and came in a sealed antistatic envelope from a dealer on eBay----I have recorded about ten full programs,

What is the date of manufacture printed on the label on the hard drive?

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 13:03:19 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Since writing the above I have received a new Seagate Constellation ES 2TB with the date stamp of 12062, which I think translates as manufactured in 2012 it is 7200 RPM
    It was restored to factory settings and told to format the drive in the process
    IT exhibits exactly the same behavior as the other two drives on being installed in my 4000, namely it seems to accept recordings and they are properly listed under "Recordings", but on being instructed to play says it cannot play as the video file is the wrong format, but all recordings get listed in the appropriate section and can be deleted from there as normal.
    I checked the format of the new disk it came as a NTFS and MBR but after being in the machine it then came out as unallocated and as not a MBR but as a GPT if any of that makes any difference, the machine must do that but it seems to take no time at all to do the format and the new one was also formatted in the machine (Or instructed to from the settings for factory reset
    To Post I will just add that when I stick the original 1TB drive in the 4000 it works as normal, recording, playback etc all as normal.By the way if the question regarding the clock is the visible time on screen then it is working as normal and is automatically set on setup both with the original disk and the Nnew ones and I have now tried three Two 2TB and one 1TB, when I first posted I was expecting a quick fix for something I was doing wrong but not so quick, Surely I am not the first to come up with a similar problem
    Thanks, Boyd

| Fri 13 Aug 2021 8:38:19 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

If the original hdd works as it should, surely this suggests that the other drives are faulty? Buying hdds from eBay is not necessarily a good idea. Anyone can clean and repackage (and seal) a well used and potentially faulty drive..... And there are plenty of sellers who will do exactly that.

| Fri 13 Aug 2021 11:20:20 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

I do see what you mean, but the drives have been hooked up to Seatools for Windows and it shows them as having run for zero hours, but I suppose that it is possible to fake that too
    Thanks for the reply, Boyd

| Fri 13 Aug 2021 11:32:51 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mactoshb - 4 hours ago  » 
    Since writing the above I have received a new Seagate Constellation ES 2TB with the date stamp of 12062, which I think translates as manufactured in 2012 it is 7200 RPM

I came to the conclusion that buying second-hand hard drives was such a lottery that it was a waste of time after receiving three completely useless drives in a row (all went back and I got refunds). I agree with SSThing that the evidence suggests that the drives you have purchased are all faulty. It is certainly possible with the appropriate software to reset the SMART data to erase all the history of a hard drive.

| Fri 13 Aug 2021 12:53:37 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

a4000t_owner

It should be possible to do a format with 0 fill, ie it writes zeros to blank everything out. It would take many minutes to do it but verify the drive is fully writable and hasn't had a head crash in some enterprise computer system somewhere.

As I understand it the recording header info gets written to NVRAM and clearly works as you can see the recordings, the actual recording occurs or not on the HDD.

Have a look at what's on the suspect drive after recording.

2012 is ancient, drives don't hang around on shelves, odds on its been swapped out of a server somewhere upon failure.

| Fri 13 Aug 2021 13:14:31 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

I agree that it is likely the drives are faulty and have just posted it back for a refund and will not try E-bay again, I will get a drive from elsewhere
    There is nothing on the drive when I connect to my desktop, it is detected and then says drive is empty, but in the humax it shows the recordings that were picked with zero times 0.00
    So will give this topic a rest till I get a really "New" drive
    Thanks for all the help,it may not have solved everything, but has gone a long way and I will be more wary in future
    Boyd

| Fri 13 Aug 2021 13:56:38 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.