My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-4000T retuned and channels lost

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I should clarify that my comments about the retune events in post 7 above, relate specifically to the Mendip transmitter.

The point I am making is that, if you lose a signal like the original poster, you need to understand what is happening if you are going to fix it.

A perfectly good signal today may be unusable tomorrow, not because of a change at your transmitter, but because a change at another transmitter now allows it to interfere with your signal, destroying it.

See the Mendip signal below where, in my marginal area, changes elsewhere cause me to lose signal I previously had.

Attachments

1. Clipboard01.gif (126.6 KB, 11 downloads) 5 years old
    | Mon 23 Jul 2018 9:52:59 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

JohnH77 - 42 minutes ago  » 

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I should clarify that my comments about the retune events in post 7 above, relate specifically to the Mendip transmitter.

The point I am making is that, if you lose a signal like the original poster, you need to understand what is happening if you are going to fix it.
    A perfectly good signal today may be unusable tomorrow, not because of a change at your transmitter, but because a change at another transmitter now allows it to interfere with your signal, destroying it.
    See the Mendip signal below where, in my marginal area, changes elsewhere cause me to lose signal I previously had.

That is perfectly true, but doing a retune due to what they call a "reception change" will not restore anything, in fact it will probably remove the placeholder from your box, which is not a good idea.

| Mon 23 Jul 2018 10:38:08 #12 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

And don't forget that atmospheric changes will upset reception as well. I live in an area that suffers from fairly severe co-channel interference (CCI) from the continent (Bexhill with Hastings transmitter). I have two aerials, both log periodic, one at eaves level and the other lower down and forward of the higher one, with a coax switch to switch between the two. This clears the CCI 99% of the time. If a mpx breaks up on one aerial, it's usually OK on the other. Weird.

| Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:29:54 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

That is perfectly true, but doing a retune due to what they call a "reception change" will not restore anything, in fact it will probably remove the placeholder from your box, which is not a good idea.

I think you need to read all my posts in order and not pick up on an isolated point.

It is for this reason that I said in my first post find out what is happening and do a manual tune of the required channels.

You can just do an Automatic Tune but I find it better to work out what is happening. So ...

1. Go to the Postcode Checker at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/index/dummy/NA/yes.

2. Enter your Postcode and house number, and tick Detailed View

This will tell you which transmitter you should be tuning, which aerial type and polarization you need (horizontal for main, vertical for repeater), and which channels it transmits on.

3. Do a Manual tune of just those channels from the transmitter you choose.

| Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:49:32 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

The OP did a retune for reasons so far unknown, and since he / she said that prior to that they were receiving all channels fine. Therefore I am assuming the retune was forced due to DSO frequency changes.

Maybe the OP could confirm this was the reason, and also say which transmitter is involved.

Also does the problem affect all their equipment.

| Mon 23 Jul 2018 12:24:19 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

fedman1 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    The OP did a retune for reasons so far unknown, and since he / she said that prior to that they were receiving all channels fine. Therefore I am assuming the retune was forced due to DSO frequency changes.
    Maybe the OP could confirm this was the reason, and also say which transmitter is involved.
    Also does the problem affect all their equipment.

DSO completed years ago. It's down to clearance of the 700Mhz band for mobile device usage,

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/700mhz_clearance/clearance_events_in_2018

| Mon 23 Jul 2018 12:33:39 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Thank you Graham for the correction.

Indeed not DSO, but 700MHz clarance however these changes still involve frequency changes, and therefor retunes.

Our transmitter Heathfield (Sussex) retune was last Thursday 19th July, which went without problems on all my equipment.

| Mon 23 Jul 2018 12:52:05 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.