My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-5000T Audio Problem

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Burnout421

I've just bought a 5000T to replace my Virgin box. I've connected it the same way but don't get the same results. Audio is missing on SD channels and there's no Dolby Digital 5.1. Connections are as follows: HDMI from 5000T to TV; SPDIF from 5000T to amplifier It's an old AV amp and doesn't have HDMI ports. Audio for SD channels has to turned up on the 5000T to get results. I've also tried running the SPDIF from the TV to the AV amp - same result. Looks like it it'll have to go back if I can't make it work. Am I doing something wrong? I'd appreciate some help. Thanks

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 19:36:54 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

From memory the 5000T has seperate settings for audio output on Spdif and HDMI.

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 19:43:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Burnout421

grahamlthompson - 55 secs ago  » 

It does. HDMI and SPDIF both have the option to set to Stereo or Dolby Digital. They are both set to Dolby Digital.

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 19:48:08 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Burnout421 - 27 mins ago  » 

It does. HDMI and SPDIF both have the option to set to Stereo or Dolby Digital. They are both set to Dolby Digital.

Does the AV amp have a Dolby Digital Decoder ?

Dolby Digital content is only available on HD channels. SD ones use mpeg1 layer 2 stereo.

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 20:16:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Burnout421

grahamlthompson - 21 mins ago  » 

Burnout421 - 27 mins ago  » 

Does the AV amp have a Dolby Digital Decoder ?
    Dolby Digital content is only available on HD channels. SD ones use mpeg1 layer 2 stereo.

Yes the AV amp has a Dolby Digital decoder (and DTS). On the virgin box, when HD channels broadcast Dolby 5.1, that’s what I got from the speakers. Also, all audio, whether DD or stereo was controllable from the AV amp via SPDIF. I just replaced the Virgin box with the 5000T, same connections. It doesn’t work the same though.

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 20:46:37 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try this. Connect to a SD channel. Using the box remote volume control turn up the box volume does it get louder ? The default level is only 60%. The Remote control has no effect on HD channel DD content.

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 20:59:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Burnout421

As I see it, we are dealing with uncompressed, lossless PCM stereo and compressed 5.1/7.1 surround. TOSLINK, which I am using, can carry both. It seems to me that the problem lies with the 5000T. I suppose what I really want to know is whether the 5000T is faulty or just incapable of performing in the same way as the Virgin Media box.

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 21:10:05 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Burnout421

I did note that SD channel volume can be controlled via the Humax remote and turning up the volume for that to a level corresponding to that of HD channels would solve that problem (as ridiculous as it seems to me). There still remains the 5.1 issue. For example Quest HD broadcasts Wheeler Dealers with Dolby 5.1 audio. There are other channels including BBC1 that do likewise with some programmes. Am I asking too much of the Humax? What’s the point of the TOSLINK port? It seems to be useless - I might just as well connect L and R channel audio.

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 21:18:58 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Burnout421 - 5 mins ago  » 
    I did note that SD channel volume can be controlled via the Humax remote and turning up the volume for that to a level corresponding to that of HD channels would solve that problem (as ridiculous as it seems to me). There still remains the 5.1 issue. For example Quest HD broadcasts Wheeler Dealers with Dolby 5.1 audio. There are other channels including BBC1 that do likewise with some programmes. Am I asking too much of the Humax? What’s the point of the TOSLINK port? It seems to be useless - I might just as well connect L and R channel audio.

It's not ridiculous . Dolby Digital Volume levels can only be varied after decoding to analogue audio (the volume level is hard coded into the digital data). So your AVR can only control the volume for DD content after decoding.

Not familiar with your AVR but most have a level setting for each input.

So the box remote cannot alter the volume level of HD channels only your AVR can do this. The toslink connection is capable of 5.1 audio for standard 5.1 audio. Loudspeakers only work with analogue audio. So only the AVR has volume control.

You should set up the box volume level to match what you hear on HD channels and leave it there.

Thereafter use the AVR remote. For this to work you need to turn down the TV volume and use the AVR output.

You cannot expect to use The TV volume using HDMI and the AVR using Toslink at the same time. Presumably the TV is not capable of decoding DD 5.1.

I use a 5000T with a modern Dolby Atmos high power Denon AVR and 11 speakers including Dolby Atmos. It works fine with 5.1 when present.

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 21:43:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Burnout421

grahamlthompson - 53 mins ago  » 

Burnout421 - 5 mins ago  » 

It's not ridiculous . Dolby Digital Volume levels can only be varied after decoding to analogue audio (the volume level is hard coded into the digital data). So your AVR can only control the volume for DD content after decoding.
    Not familiar with your AVR but most have a level setting for each input.
    So the box remote cannot alter the volume level of HD channels only your AVR can do this. The toslink connection is capable of 5.1 audio for standard 5.1 audio. Loudspeakers only work with analogue audio. So only the AVR has volume control.
    You should set up the box volume level to match what you hear on HD channels and leave it there.
    Thereafter use the AVR remote. For this to work you need to turn down the TV volume and use the AVR output.
    You cannot expect to use The TV volume using HDMI and the AVR using Toslink at the same time. Presumably the TV is not capable of decoding DD 5.1.
    I use a 5000T with a modern Dolby Atmos high power Denon AVR and 11 speakers including Dolby Atmos. It works fine with 5.1 when present.

I get your point but I’m not doing anything with the TV volume. I’m trying to control audio levels with the AVR remote from the Humax to my AVR via TOSLINK, just as I did with the Virgin Media kit. The TV is not connected to the AVR. HDMI from Humax to TV, TOSLINK from Humax to AV. Not an ideal setup, I’ll admit but there are no HDMI in/out ports on my ancient AVR. I’m just disappointed that what worked with the Virgin box doesn’t with the Humax. Perhaps I should start looking for a new AVR (Your last paragraph has made me envious.)

| Wed 14 Apr 2021 22:49:52 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.