My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-5000T suffers momentary pauses on HD channels

(9 posts)
  1. djadams

djadams

I'm a Humax newbie, the unit arrived three days ago. I noticed that, watching HD channels through the box, there's a frequent momentary pause in the video, and then it catches up - it's probably only half a second, but it's quite noticeable. The audio is fine, no pause in that. Recordings are also fine, and I've recorded two HD channels at once with no issues. If I watch a standard channel through the box (e.g. ITV rather than ITV HD) that momentary pause doesn't happen. I'm wondering if the box is having a problem buffering the HD video for rewind purposes. Has anyone else seen this?

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 8:17:27 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

djadams - 28 mins ago  » 
    I'm wondering if the box is having a problem buffering the HD video for rewind purposes. Has anyone else seen this?

Is this a new box or second-hand? What is the signal strength and quality (as reported by the Humax) when tuned to the HD channels?

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 8:48:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Yes, also worthwhile comparing the reported strength/quality on HD with those on SD (eg. BBC1 and ITV).

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 10:02:04 #3 |
  4. djadams

djadams

It's a new box - the signal strength on tuners 1 and 2 are 71% and 75%, and the quality is 100% on both. Nothing listed for tuner 3 (I guess because it's not in use at the moment).

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 11:04:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

djadams - 22 mins ago  » 
    It's a new box - the signal strength on tuners 1 and 2 are 71% and 75%, and the quality is 100% on both. Nothing listed for tuner 3 (I guess because it's not in use at the moment).

I would say the signal strength should be fine and you are correct that tuners are shut down when not in use. Maybe a silly question but have you got the HDMI cable as well separated from the aerial lead as possible? We started suffering a lot of glitches on an HDR-2000T at our holiday home; it took me a while to investigate, but when I did I found that carpet fitters had managed to tangle together all my carefully separated leads and separating them again fixed the problem. Failing that talk to Humax support or whoever you purchased the box from.

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 11:31:59 #5 |
  6. djadams

djadams

Martin Liddle - 25 mins ago  » 

I would say the signal strength should be fine and you are correct that tuners are shut down when not in use. Maybe a silly question but have you got the HDMI cable as well separated from the aerial lead as possible? We started suffering a lot of glitches on an HDR-2000T at our holiday home; it took me a while to investigate, but when I did I found that carpet fitters had managed to tangle together all my carefully separated leads and separating them again fixed the problem. Failing that talk to Humax support or whoever you purchased the box from.

The HDMI cable is as separated from the aerial cable as it can be, I've checked they're not touching. I'm using the HDMI cable that came in the box with the Humax, which is probably a cheap "that'll do" cable - I'm going to try a better quality cable (if I can find one, we recently moved and non-essentials are still in boxes).

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 12:00:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

If you press pause while viewing a problematic channel, wait about 5 seconds and then play, does the issue persist?
    I used to get similar (but opposite) symptoms :-
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/4000t-and-2000t-sound-issues
    that just went away, so were presumably a broadcaster/signal issue.

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 12:38:31 #7 |
  8. djadams

djadams

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    If you press pause while viewing a problematic channel, wait about 5 seconds and then play, does the issue persist?
    I used to get similar (but opposite) symptoms :-
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/4000t-and-2000t-sound-issues
    that just went away, so were presumably a broadcaster/signal issue.

Well, typical, I was going to try that and now I can't get any channel to exhibit the pause problem if it happens again I'll try this.

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 13:54:56 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

djadams - 23 hours ago  » 
    Well, typical, I was going to try that and now I can't get any channel to exhibit the pause problem if it happens again I'll try this.

It might have been a problem with a small are of the hard drive with a significant number of faulty sectors; hopefully they have all been mapped out now.

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 13:08:00 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.