My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Fvp5000t instant record failing

(37 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

muskie478

I have fvp5000t with uptodate software. I press instant record to record end of program when I come to watch it I get only a few seconds of the program. It happens often

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 10:38:50 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

muskie478 - 4 mins ago  » 
    I have fvp5000t with uptodate software. I press instant record to record end of program when I come to watch it I get only a few seconds of the program. It happens often

Was the box tuned to that channel when the programme started ?. Can you pause live TV ?

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 10:44:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

muskie478 - 8 mins ago  » 

There have been a few similar reports so you are not alone. Instant record works OK for me so not sure what is going on.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 10:48:28 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

muskie478

grahamlthompson - 24 mins ago  » 

Was the box tuned to that channel when the programme started ?. Can you pause live TV ?

Not always tuned to the start of the program and yes I can pause live TV and go back. This is a new fault I've had the box for many years

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 11:09:34 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

muskie478 - 9 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 24 mins ago  » 

Not always tuned to the start of the program and yes I can pause live TV and go back. This is a new fault I've had the box for many years

If you were not tuned to the programme when it started that is normal behaviour.
    If you changed channel to watch something else then instant record will not work properly unless you wind back the buffer to the start of the programme you want to instant record.

The time shift file has a pointer set to indicate the start of a programme every time a new programme starts. When you press the instant record button the time shift buffer file from that pointer is copied to a new recording. Recording continues from the live broadcast until the programme is complete. If you change channels the pointer now points to the new current programme. If you do that you need to wind back the buffer to the point where the programme you want to record started. If you now press the instant record button you should get the whole programme.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 11:24:35 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

The OP's question was not about missing the start of a programme when using instant record, it was about the issue that has become manifest since the YouTube update where instant recordings only actually record a few minutes then stop.
    How has this got anything to do with buffers?
    If I am watching BBC1 then switch to BBC2 and realise that I want to record that particular programme, I will press instant record and the majority of the time it will record from that point until the end but, randomly now but frequently, it fails.
    Your suggestion to rewind the buffer doesn't make sense because there is nothing in the buffer immediately after changing channels and even when the buffer is working it only contains the data from when the channel changed and not before, so how can you rewind to the start to then press instant record?

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 11:51:51 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 14 mins ago  » 
    The OP's question was not about missing the start of a programme when using instant record, it was about the issue that has become manifest since the YouTube update where instant recordings only actually record a few minutes then stop.
    If I am watching BBC1 then switch to BBC2 and realise that I want to record that particular programme, I will press instant record and the majority of the time it will record from that point until the end but, randomly now but frequently, it fails.
    Your suggestion to rewind the buffer doesn't make sense because there is nothing in the buffer immediately after changing channels and even when the buffer is working it only contains the data from when the channel changed and not before, so how can you rewind to the start to then press instant record?

Instant record relies on the time shift buffer file. Changing channel does not delete the content. The file is a fixed size. When it gets to the end recording starts at the beginning again. Changing channel sets a pointer to the file location at the start of the buffering for the current programme. Pressinng instant record uses this pointer to copy the buffered content to a proper recording. From this point the tuner creates the ongoing recording in the usual way. The content is still there but to access it you have to back up the buffer to where it originally started which works on some boxes.

Booting up my 5000T to check it still works as it always has.

My 5000T is currently tuned to Channel 4-HD. The programme started at 11:05. Pressing pause shows current time at 11:13:15

I changed channel to BBC 2-HD at 11:17. I then pressed the instant record button. I have an ongoing recording of BBC2-HD starting at 11:17.

That is what should happen.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 12:11:56 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

muskie478

grahamlthompson - 9 mins ago  » 

SSThing - 14 mins ago  » 

Instant record relies on the time shift buffer file. Changing channel does not delete the content. The file is a fixed size. When it gets to the end recording starts at the beginning again. Changing channel sets a pointer to the file location at the start of the buffering for the current programme. Pressinng instant record uses this pointer to copy the buffered content to a proper recording. From this point the tuner creates the ongoing recording in the usual way. The content is still there but to access it you have to back up the buffer to where it originally started.
    I have to ask have you actually tried this out ?
    My 5000T is currently tuned to Channel 4-HD. The programme started at 11:05. Pressing pause shows current time at 11:13:15
    I changed channel to BBC 2-HD at 11:17. I then pressed the instant record button. I have an ongoing recording of BBC2-HD starting at 11:17.

I coukd watch 10 minutes of the program then decided to record the rest by instant record . You should be able to press record and thats it. But frequently it records from that point forward for either seconds minutes or 30 minutes then stops failing to record the rest the program .
    It happens if I've watched 1 min or 30 mins it randomly records the rest of the program from that point. I've never seen it record the buffer part of the program only from the point of pressing record.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 12:26:01 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

muskie478 - 2 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 9 mins ago  » 

SSThing - 14 mins ago  » 

Instant record relies on the time shift buffer file. Changing channel does not delete the content. The file is a fixed size. When it gets to the end recording starts at the beginning again. Changing channel sets a pointer to the file location at the start of the buffering for the current programme. Pressinng instant record uses this pointer to copy the buffered content to a proper recording. From this point the tuner creates the ongoing recording in the usual way. The content is still there but to access it you have to back up the buffer to where it originally started.
    I have to ask have you actually tried this out ?

I coukd watch 10 minutes of the program then decided to record the rest by instant record . You should be able to press record and thats it. But frequently it records from that point forward for either seconds minutes or 30 minutes then stops failing to record the rest the program .
    It happens if I've watched 1 min or 30 mins it randomly records the rest of the program from that point. I've never seen it record the buffer part of the program only from the point of pressing record.

You can only do this as I explained if the channel you want to record was tuned to that channel when the programmme started. If yours does not there is a good chance the time shift buffer file is corrupted. Simple to fix on a Foxsat-HDR with the Custom Firmware simply rename the time shift buffer file 0.ts to sat 0.old, That forces the box to recreate a new one on a different area of the HDD.

The only known cure is a Hard Disk format. You would haver to remove the HDD and copy the recordings to PC booted into Linux to save them and copy them back after the format. Running a Linux file check and repair on the HDD might fix it without deleting your recordings.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 12:35:16 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

"I changed channel to BBC 2-HD at 11:17. I then pressed the instant record button. I have an ongoing recording of BBC2-HD starting at 11:17.

That is what should happen"

Which is exactly what I said but since the last update this frequently fails to record more than a couple of minutes and not until the end of the programme as it should.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 12:44:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.