My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP5000T signal problem

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi, looking for a little more help with the issues i had posted about previous.

To give a little background:

I did have a FOX-T2 box which has no signal issues at all, every time i turned it on though it was giving a green screen that took a lot of time to get working so we finally thought a new box would be best.

After having a good look around i finally went with the 5000T, i love the amount of programs you can record at once.

Right from the start the picture on the 5000T would break up now and then, freeze then start or bring up an actual error saying signal too weak or lost (or something similar).

I noticed that when i would get an error message saying signal too weak or a big freeze in the picture, the signal strength and quality would drop to 0% then go back to normal numbers.

I had my first unit swapped to try and rule out an issue with the first box but the 2nd unit has the exact same issues.

I have tried a 4G signal cutter which didn't do anything, i have had the aerial fitter out twice who tried a couple of different things each time, he swapped the splitter in the loft, moved the aerial slightly, tested the connections, made a new good quality aerial cable for me, retuned the box to exclude welsh signals and it’s still got these issues.

The issues haven’t improved at all with any of the above.

I have now re-fitted my old Fox-T2 to try and make sure the signal is actually ok and its not breaking up on that now too (in case there was an actually physical issue with the aerial) after a while of getting the green screen to go away, i have now been watching tv all night and not 1 freeze or lost signal.

The signal quality of the 5000T would generally be around 70% and signal quality 100%.

Interestingly enough, i have just looked at the signal strength on the Fox-T2 and that shows only at about 42-44% and 100% quality.

I am wondering if a variable attenuator would fix my issues?

I may try and get one and see, but if its not that i feel like my only option is to send this unit back and just get a different make freeview box altogether, which is a shame as i have always really liked my humax boxes but i feel I’d have no choice as there seems to be a really big problem with the tuners on the 5000T in the area I’m in, it’s so odd the fox t2 is fine though with no signal issues.

Just so people know I am in south Liverpool and connect to the storeton transmitter.

If anyone can offer any further help that would be great.

Regards

James

| Fri 15 Jun 2018 0:09:02 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Try an attenuator - it might be overloading the Humax.

Strength is pretty irrelevant - you need a high and constant Signal Quality. If the strength or quality varies as you watch the meter it means you are probably getting interference or reflections mixing with the received signal and causing the problem.

What does the postcode checker say about where you live?

| Fri 15 Jun 2018 14:03:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi John, it says good signal for both standard and hd signals

| Fri 15 Jun 2018 14:09:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

My old fox-t2 has been on all today again after getting rid of the green screen and has not had one signal issue, as soon as I connect the 5000t I have issues

| Fri 15 Jun 2018 14:10:23 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I have just checked - Storeton is a repeater where the SD multiplexes are transmitted at 560W and the HD multiplexes at 2,000W. Unless you live extremely close to it overloading is unlikely to be a problem.

What does http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ (choose Detailed view) say for your postcode?

| Fri 15 Jun 2018 14:10:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

I'm just over the river Mersey from it, I know when the guy out the aerial up he said I can see it from here lol

| Fri 15 Jun 2018 14:14:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Are your problems correlated to tide heights?

You can get a direct, line of sight signal interfering with one reflected from the water surface. As the tide changes height, the reflected signal changes phase and can interfere destructively with the direct signal.

What values does the postcode checker give for your address? "just over the river Mersey from it" is close to its limit of reception. There are pockets of no reception.

| Fri 15 Jun 2018 14:46:07 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

lily0175

I have just had to replace a 2000T which failed post the latest (freeview) retune. Replaced with 5000T and the HD channels are viewable with no bother, everything else is unwatchable. Any thoughts please or is this a common 5000T problem as I am also likely to return to store.

| Mon 18 Jun 2018 19:55:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

lily0175 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Replaced with 5000T and the HD channels are viewable with no bother, everything else is unwatchable. Any thoughts please or is this a common 5000T problem as I am also likely to return to store.

Not a common problem. What is the signal strength and quality on the HD channels?

| Mon 18 Jun 2018 21:45:13 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi everyone, just an update onmy issue.

As a last ditch attempt to fix the issue i was having, i bought a signal attenulator and this up to now has fixed the problem, my 5000T would show a signal strength of 74% and my old fox-t2 would show 42% on the same aerial which was odd, i fitted the attenulator and brought the signal doen to abouit 55% on my 5000T and up to now there hasn't been one freeze or saying the signal is weak etc..

I upped it back to 70% just now to see if it wasn't just a fluke and straight away the box said the signal is too weak and froze breifly, so my issue does seem to be the signal was too high.

Sounds stramnge though why would the box say the signal is too weak, yet lowering the signal has fixed it? lol

| Tue 19 Jun 2018 6:55:38 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.