My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP5000T signal problem

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

From your post:
    1 All looks OK
    2. The Humax has a very sensitive tuner which can be overloaded if you are close to the transmitter so buy an attenuator and try it.

See Variable Attenuator, Black (or Black/Silver colour, identical item) - Alters & varies Television signal
    at https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Variable-Attenuator-Silver-colour-identical-Multi/dp/B000LB0QC0/ref=sr_1_11?adgrpid=54796173004&tag=blusas008-21&hvadid=259058072812&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045647&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14757891325792507335&hvtargid=kwd-310685949498&keywords=tv+attenuator&qid=1553096696&s=gateway&sr=8-11&tag=googhydr-21

or

Philex Variable TV Signal Attenuator
    at https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L24G962/ref=dp_cerb_1&tag=blusas008-21. They are only a few pounds.

Please tell us your full postcode if you want more appropriate advice.

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 16:44:22 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jenonnet

Thanks, my postcode is LE3 1JT and the appropriate transmitter is the Waltham one.

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 16:46:37 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jenonnet - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions. Unfortunately I don't really understand a lot of it, at 68 years old is a bit confusing to get your head round.
    I don't know how to tell which way the aerial should be pointing but it must be ok because when it's connected straight to the TV all the channels work perfectly, it's only when it's connected to the humax box that I have the problems with the BBC channels. So that tells me the aerial is in the correct location and pointing the right way, otherwise the problems would be the same when connected straight to the TV. It's always worked very well when connected straight from the aerial to the TV and all the channels worked perfectly well. That being the case, would I be right in thinking it has to be something to do with the box and not the aerial?

The best clue you have is looking at your neighbours aerials. If they have the elements horizontal they are likely to be pointing at a main power transmitter, if vertical one of the relay transmitters served by the main power transmitter. Your aerial should point the same way and match the vertical/horizontal alignment.

If you know how to grab a copy of window, then best plan is to fill in your postcode and house number and tick the detailed view here Don't forget the detailed view..

At least tell us the colour of the reception boxes (green is best). and name of the transmitter at the top of the list.

In the table at the top of the list alongside the top transmitter it will tell you the distance from the transmitter and the compass bearing (direction), If you can post these as well especially the distance.

This is my result for the Sutton Coldfield Transmitter. Note the green results except for the lower power COM7 and COM 8 mux.

It possible your transmitter has recently changed the frequency of the Multiplex to value your aerial is not suitable to receive. If so you might be able to get it fixed for free if your only source of TV reception is by your aerial.

If you are close to a main power transmitter it's possible the more sensitive tuners in the Humax are being overloaded by too high a signal which the TV tuner can cope with.

In this event a cheap adjustable box connected to the Aerial coax can reduce the level.

Attachments

1. Sutton_Coldfield.jpg (210.8 KB, 5 downloads) 5 years old
    | Wed 20 Mar 2019 16:52:17 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Right. You are 17 miles from Waltham with a clear line of sight.

The postcode checker says you have a strong signal on all Waltham multiplexes. BBC SD is on 49 and BBC HD is on 58.

You are also getting a strong signal from Sutton Coldfield which will not be interfering BUT if you did an automatic tune you probably tuned these channels as well - they will have numbers beginning 800, 801 etc. Delete them or do a manual tune of Waltham only (ie 49, 54, 58, 29, 37, 57, 32, 56). Note that if you want to receive all of those multiplexes you need a wide band TV aerial as the lowest is 29 and highest is 58.

Try the attenuator first.

Attachments

1. waltham.gif (107.4 KB, 5 downloads) 5 years old
    | Wed 20 Mar 2019 17:07:50 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Suitable attenuator

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-Variable-TV-Signal-Attenuator/dp/B00L24G962/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1553098305&sr=8-1&keywords=attenuator+tv

Unplug the aerial and connect it to the matching socket on the attenuator. The other connector should plug in to the aerial socket on the Humax box.

Tune to a channel you can watch say a HD one.

Press the Freeview play button move to settings and press OK

Move to channel settings and right to signal test and press OK

You should see two values for tuner 1, one signal strength and the other signal quality (quality is the most important it should be 100% and steady).

Reduce the signal strength watching the quality doesn't go down.

Tune to a channel you are having problems with. Find the lowest signal strength before the quality starts to drop. Increase a bit to give some margin.

Can you now watch all the channels ?

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 17:20:00 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jenonnet

Thank you both so much. I will purchase an attenuator and follow your instructions then report back.
    I emailed Humax support days ago but haven't heard a thing yet, so I'm really pleased I've got some good advice from you all on here, it's much appreciated.

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 18:16:27 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jenonnet - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you both so much. I will purchase an attenuator and follow your instructions then report back.
    I emailed Humax support days ago but haven't heard a thing yet, so I'm really pleased I've got some good advice from you all on here, it's much appreciated.

If you need to manual tune to Waltham post again, there is more info you need.

1 How to delete all your existing Radio and TV channels and start with none,

2 Some Mux require the modulation settings to be set to DVB-T and others (for Waltham BBC-HD, COM 7 and COM 8 to DVB-T2).

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 18:22:44 #27 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.