My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP5000T signal problem

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

james_uk - 5 hours ago  » 
    Sounds stramnge though why would the box say the signal is too weak, yet lowering the signal has fixed it? lol

I think it is strange as well. With high signal levels you can saturate the tuners which reduces their performance and the reported signal level but usually this is reported with signal levels above about 85%. I really don't understand what is going on in your case.

| Tue 19 Jun 2018 12:09:42 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jenonnet

james_uk - 9 months ago  » 
    Hi everyone, just an update onmy issue.
    As a last ditch attempt to fix the issue i was having, i bought a signal attenulator and this up to now has fixed the problem, my 5000T would show a signal strength of 74% and my old fox-t2 would show 42% on the same aerial which was odd, i fitted the attenulator and brought the signal doen to abouit 55% on my 5000T and up to now there hasn't been one freeze or saying the signal is weak etc..
    I upped it back to 70% just now to see if it wasn't just a fluke and straight away the box said the signal is too weak and froze breifly, so my issue does seem to be the signal was too high.
    Sounds stramnge though why would the box say the signal is too weak, yet lowering the signal has fixed it? lol

Unfortunately that can't be the same for me because my signal strength says 54% and quality is 100%.
    I have only just purchased my 5000T and the first one was returned for an exchange because the aerial bloke I paid to check the aerial said it was working perfect and after checking everything else said it had to be the fault of the box, but after getting my replacement and setting it up I find I still have the same problem and the BBC programmes are impossible to watch/record. As we watch mainly BBC it is annoying to say the least! Think my 5000T will be going back and a full refund will be requested as I can't afford to keep paying people to try to find out what the problem is when I've already paid for the 5000T and the H3 espresso, my pension can't withstand any more payouts!!

| Sun 17 Mar 2019 19:34:12 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Jenonnet - 5 hours ago  » 
    Unfortunately that can't be the same for me because my signal strength says 54% and quality is 100%.

On which channel?

I find I still have the same problem and the BBC programmes are impossible to watch/record.

Have you ruled out the possibility that automatic tuning has not selected the optimum multiplex for the BBC channels? You might try the manual tune procedure in the FAQ https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1 as a final check.

| Mon 18 Mar 2019 1:04:07 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Are both the signal strength and quality very stable? Or do they vary and increase and decrease as you look at them? If so, you have reflections or co-channel interference.

What is your postcode? Check which channels you should be tuning to at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ - be sure to select Detailed View.

As suggested above do a manual retune of the correct transmitter after deleting all saved TV stations. Delete any stations with 800 numbers - they are duplicates.

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 13:01:20 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jenonnet

JohnH77 - 51 minutes ago  » 
    Are both the signal strength and quality very stable? Or do they vary and increase and decrease as you look at them? If so, you have reflections or co-channel interference.
    What is your postcode? Check which channels you should be tuning to at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ - be sure to select Detailed View.
    As suggested above do a manual retune of the correct transmitter after deleting all saved TV stations. Delete any stations with 800 numbers - they are duplicates.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the signal strength and quality are stable all the time.
    I've already checked the info on Digital UK and as far as I'm aware I'm on the correct one.
    I haven't tried manual tuning as it seemed so confusing, but I'll give it a go now I've read the instructions, maybe one of the other available transmitters will be better. Thanks.

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 14:04:45 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

maybe one of the other available transmitters will be better

No. It isn't maybe. Do it properly.

1 Go to the postcode checker

2 Find out which is the best transmitter for you.

3 Make sure your aerial points to it and the arms are horizontal (for a main transmitter) or vertical (for a repeater which has fewer multiplexes)

4 Delete all current saved stations in the Humax

5 Manually tune the channels for the transmitter you identified in 2

6 Check you have no 800 numbered stations. Doing a manual tune ensures you do not have any.

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 14:35:14 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 53 minutes ago  » 

The whole point of doing a manual tune is to exclude getting channels in the 800's. They aren't duplicates. They may or may not be the correct channels from the best transmitter. It entirely depends on the UHF channels used by the two (or more transmitters in range).

Only if the highest UHF channel used by the desired transmitter is lower than the lowest used by any of the others would it be safe to just delete channels in the 800s.

Scanning starts at UHF 21 and goes up to 68.

When a valid Mux is found the channels within it are stored at the correct lower lcns. When a duplicate is found which may or may not be the correct one the channels within the duplicate mux are stored in the 800's.

This will always happen in the UHF channel range in all transmitters in range overlap in some way. If you know what transmitters are involved it's very easy to predict what will happen.

Use Excel to create 3 columns

Col 1 Transmitter Name
    Col 2 UHF MUX
    Col 3 Mux Name

When all of them are entered select the whole table and sort in ascending order on Col 1

You can instantly see which MUX will be incorrectly tuned.

Artificial example based on Sutton Coldfield, Ridge Hill and Lark Stoke all of which can be used in some areas of my home town (Redditch).

Here is the unsorted data Sut ton Coldfield, Ridge Hill and then Lark Stoke

Transmitter UHF MUX
    Sutton Coldfield 43 PSB1
    Sutton Coldfield 46 PSB2
    Sutton Coldfield 40 PSB3
    Sutton Coldfield 42 COM 4
    Sutton Coldfield 45 COM5
    Sutton Coldfield 39 COM 6
    Sutton Coldfield 55 COM 7
    Sutton Coldfield 56 COM 8
    Ridge Hill 28 PSB1
    Ridge Hill 25 PSB2
    Ridge Hill 22 PSB3
    Ridge Hill 33 COM 4
    Ridge Hill 24 COM5
    Ridge Hill 27 COM 6
    Ridge Hill 55 COM 7
    Ridge Hill 56 COM 8
    Lark Stoke 26 PSB1
    Lark Stoke 23 PSB2
    Lark Stoke 30 PSB3
    Lark Stoke 33 COM 4
    Lark Stoke 35 COM5
    Lark Stoke 48 COM 6

Note Sutton Coldfield and Ridge Hill use the same UHF channels for COM 7 and the same for COM 8 (55 and 56),

This is because thew two transmitters use a SFN (single frequency network for com 7 and com 8). Differentiating between them basically depends on the distance to either transmitter at your location.

Here's the table sorted by UHF channels

Transmitter UHF MUX
    Ridge Hill 22 PSB3
    Lark Stoke 23 PSB2
    Ridge Hill 24 COM5
    Ridge Hill 25 PSB2
    Lark Stoke 26 PSB1
    Ridge Hill 27 COM 6
    Ridge Hill 28 PSB1
    Lark Stoke 30 PSB3
    Ridge Hill 33 COM 4
    Lark Stoke 33 COM 4
    Lark Stoke 35 COM5
    Sutton Coldfield 39 COM 6
    Sutton Coldfield 40 PSB3
    Sutton Coldfield 42 COM 4
    Sutton Coldfield 43 PSB1
    Sutton Coldfield 45 COM5
    Sutton Coldfield 46 PSB2
    Lark Stoke 48 COM 6
    Sutton Coldfield 55 COM 7
    Ridge Hill 55 COM 7
    Sutton Coldfield 56 COM 8
    Ridge Hill 56 COM 8

You can see that none of the Mux will be first found on the same transmitter so deleting all the 800's will achieve nothing.

Subset

Transmitter UHF MUX
    Ridge Hill 22 PSB3
    Lark Stoke 23 PSB2
    Ridge Hill 24 COM5
    Ridge Hill 25 PSB2
    Lark Stoke 26 PSB1
    Ridge Hill 27 COM 6
    Ridge Hill 28 PSB1
    Lark Stoke 30 PSB3

So PSB 3 will be found first from Ridge Hill and then PSB 2 from Larl Stoke. A duplicate for PSB 2 is next found from Ridge Hill on UHF 25, this MUX is already stored from Lark Stoke so all the channels on this multiplex get 800 plus lcn's.

I'll leave it readers to figure out where the other MUX channels finish up

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 14:35:20 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham
    As you see we are in violent agreement. I was editing my post to

6 Check you have no 800 numbered stations. Doing a manual tune ensures you do not have any.

while you were posting yours

Off topic: Do we have any definite answer to whether the EPG gets messed up if you have one station (eg C4) from a main transmitter and another of that same station (another C4) as an 800 number from a repeater or other main transmitter?

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 14:41:49 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Graham
    As you see we are in violent agreement. I was editing my post to

while you were posting yours
    Off topic: Do we have any definite answer to whether the EPG gets messed up if you have one station (eg C4) from a main transmitter and another of that same station (another C4) as an 800 number from a repeater or other main transmitter?

It doesn't matter if the source is a relay of a main transmitter or the main transmitter itself. Relays use different channel UHF channel numbers (rebroadcast using a different carrier) and usually change from Horizontal to Vertical polarisation to assist with the aerial rejecting unwanted breakthrough from the parent transmitter. So in effect each relay is a different transmitter re the epg.

It's not so much the transmitter that's the issue but the complications of getting series/programme CRIDS and accurate recording signals for the same content from multiple lcn's.

The same applies re the UH channel range of each transmitter.

In the table I provided Lark Stoke is a relay of Sutton Coldfield and in fact shares it's UHF channels with Bromsgrove (and if I remember correctly the Wrekin). The 3 transmitters form a SFN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-frequency_network

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 14:54:52 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jenonnet

Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions. Unfortunately I don't really understand a lot of it, at 68 years old is a bit confusing to get your head round.
    I don't know how to tell which way the aerial should be pointing but it must be ok because when it's connected straight to the TV all the channels work perfectly, it's only when it's connected to the humax box that I have the problems with the BBC channels. So that tells me the aerial is in the correct location and pointing the right way, otherwise the problems would be the same when connected straight to the TV. It's always worked very well when connected straight from the aerial to the TV and all the channels worked perfectly well. That being the case, would I be right in thinking it has to be something to do with the box and not the aerial?

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 16:32:12 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.