My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP5000T to HDR 2000T

(38 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Doghouse - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the response, I've an HP probook laptop and I'm running Windows 10

This article should tell you what you need to know https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-to-format-an-external-hard-drive-on-windows-10/

| Fri 10 Sep 2021 11:37:14 #11 |
  2. Doghouse

Doghouse

Thanks for that.
    I've formatted this drive as per the instructions and I now have this.

The FVP recognises the external hard drive. But it still says "not enough space" when I try to copy an SD file

| Fri 10 Sep 2021 15:33:21 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

This is what I have just experienced. And bear with me because I am going to update this as I am doing the various steps.
    Using a USB stick formatted to fat32 and a 1tb USB hdd formatted to NTFS.
    Reboot = standby/unplug power/restart.
    I recorded an SD programme on my 4000t.
    I then moved this onto the USB stick and then confirmed that it still played correctly.
    I then plugged the stick into my 2000t and it was immediately recognized. However, despite the 2000t seeing the other files (that were already on the stick), I could not find the recording. I then plugged the stick back in the 4000t and confirmed that it is still there and plays 100%.
    Another however!
    The stick is now listed as an internal hdd plus my (currently unplugged) 1tb hdd is still listed albeit showing only half the actual number of recordings. A full reboot and the drives are now listed correctly.
    I then transferred the SD file back to the 4000t internal drive and it played successfully.
    Next, I plugged my 1tb back in the 4000t and fully rebooted. I then copied the SD file to the 1tb and confirmed that it plays.
    I plugged the 1tb into the 2000t and fully rebooted. The 1tb is recognized but as xxx 082 (82 is the number of files on the internal hdd in the 4000t! and a subsequent test, after deleting a file on the 4000t and repeating the sequence, confirms that this figure correlates with the number of recordings on the 4000t). But the 2000t says that there is only one file present on the drive (which kind of makes sense if the 2000t can only recognize SD files) but it is impossible to access this recording to either play or transfer it to the internal hdd.
    My conclusion is this:-
    Recordings cannot be transferred from the 4000t (5000t) to the 2000t.
    Irrespective of the formatting used, it certainly appears to be broken (perhaps it was never possible?). This is either a function that was never possible because of either operating system incompatibility or file type incompatibilities OR the function (if it was originally possible) has been broken by later firmware updates?
    I have just tried to test if files can be transferred from the 2000t to the 4000t but, despite being able to create a new folder on the USB stick, the copy/move function is not working on the 2000t.
    I am happy to be proven wrong by anyone who can demonstrate a working method to transfer files between the 4000t and the 2000t but my experience concurs with Doghouse.
    At the moment, my experience shows that (yet again) Humax customer service is wrong in the advice that they are giving out.

| Sat 11 Sep 2021 11:20:11 #13 |
  4. Doghouse

Doghouse

Thanks for that.

I'm really naffed off with the whole situation.

In the first place I think the production of the FVP was a retrograde step in that you couldn't put films into separate files.
    I only bought it because I felt the 2000T might be on its way out as it sounded like an electric motor with a worn bearing. The FBP sounds not that much better.

I'm concerned as I've about 100 classic films on the 2000T and if it goes pants up some would be unrecoverable elsewhere.

| Sat 11 Sep 2021 13:26:22 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Just done another test, will write up very shortly with good news (just rechecking).

| Sat 11 Sep 2021 14:15:12 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

This is for transferring from 2000t to 4000t. (haven't tried the other way yet).

OK, here goes.

Different 64gb USB stick formatted to NTFS on Win10 pc (checked properties once complete and it is mbr).
    Insert into REAR port on 2000t.
    Press Media button.
    Choose file to be moved.
    Press Opt+ on remote.
    Select Move/Copy.
    Scroll up/down to USB drive and the RED Move option becomes available, then press the RED button on the remote.
    After a painfully long time the file is copied to the stick.
    Put the stick into the 4000t and reboot.
    On the 4000t(5000t) press the blue Home button.
    Recordings.
    Storage.
    Select the USB stick and the file is there. You can either play direct or press + and follow the procedure to move the file onto the internal hdd.
    But then it gets bizarre!
    After moving the file to the internal hdd, the USB stick (empty) is no longer recognised in Storage section and the file is not listed on the internal hdd.
    BUT...
    Home
    Media/ok
    Video/ok
    Internal HDD/ok....
    And the transfered file is there and plays.
    I have just repeated the process with another recording on the 2000t > 4000t and it also worked.

Now I don't know if it's the different USB stick (with NTFS) or using the rear port on the 2000t that has made the difference.
    I am not going to take any more chances with my 1tb USB drive (too many recordings on there I haven't watched yet) but I suspect/hope it will work the same way.

| Sat 11 Sep 2021 14:51:34 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

From 4000t > 2000t and the file isn't showing up in storage or media options at all (files already on the stick from 2000t>4000t method are still visible, so stick is working).
    Tried both front and rear USB ports.
    Put the stick back in 4000t and file is definitely there under the storage section.

What an absolute faff though!

At the moment it is looking like SD from 2000t > 4000t is viable, playing directly from the stick or moving onto the internal hdd both worked but not the other way.

| Sat 11 Sep 2021 15:16:57 #17 |
  8. Doghouse

Doghouse

This is where I'm up to. Bearing in mind my external hard drive is formatted as in the photos in my previous post.

My FVP is recognising my external hard drive.
    There's three recordings I've managed to copy to it.
    The "Fairwell My Lovely" film will not play.
    The other two, a part recording and a full one (in HD mind you) will.

My HDR 2000 doesn't recognise the external hard drive if I plug it in the back.

I've just tried to copy another film to this hard drive from the FVP and this is what I get.

| Sat 11 Sep 2021 15:42:53 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Just about to do some more testing.
    But can you please clarify, are you trying to move files from the 5000t > 2000t or from 2000t > 5000t?

| Sat 11 Sep 2021 16:11:39 #19 |
  10. Doghouse

Doghouse

I'm trying to move them from the 5000T to the 2000T

The idea being that the 5000T is for daily use (it has a faster f/f function than the 2000T).

The 2000T is supposed to only contain files I permanently want to keep.

| Sat 11 Sep 2021 16:15:50 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.