My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Getting files off failing HDR Fox T2

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

looseleaftea

Bit of a last ditch appeal for help this - we've been having problems with our HDR Fox T2 for a couple of months now, but Humax had no stock to replace our glitchy unit so we've had to carry on using it. They've finally scheduled an exchange, but our existing unit has completely stopped copying files to an external HDD and we have about 60 programmes stranded. Is there any hope of ever being able to 'decode' files extracted via FTP (which sometimes still works), or have we completely lost our old stuff?
    Just in case the further details are of any use: we had been successfully copying SD and Foxy-tweaked HD content using the standard copy command up until a couple of days ago. Now it accepts the command and shows 'copying' for a while, then it seems to give up and hides all content until restarted. Humax support could only suggest doing a reset to factory defaults, which we have done - and unsurprisingly this helped not a smidgen :-/
    Any ideas very welcome!

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 23:32:48 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum, only last ditch solution I can suggest is the custom firmware solution from Hummy.TV. One of the packages that is available is a Linux file system integrity and repair application that may allow you to rescue your recordings.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 23:41:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

looseleaftea

Wow, many thanks for the swift reply! Since we will be returning the unit to Humax under warranty in a couple of days, would we be setting ourselves up for trouble by installing a custom firmware? Kinda wishing I'd arranged the exchange for a date further in the future, but then again I'd rather like to have a box capable of actually playing back programmes...

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 23:53:44 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

looseleaftea - 10 hours ago  » 
    Wow, many thanks for the swift reply! Since we will be returning the unit to Humax under warranty in a couple of days, would we be setting ourselves up for trouble by installing a custom firmware? Kinda wishing I'd arranged the exchange for a date further in the future, but then again I'd rather like to have a box capable of actually playing back programmes...

One thing you may like to try first is reflashing the firmware using a usb stick. It just might restore your usb connection.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model.aspx?category_seq=182

You can remove the CF after use. You may be lucky the firmware has a capability to create a virtual drive on the internal HDD. If can copy the files you want to keep to this and then ftp them to a PC for safe keeping.

To remove the firmware you need to have installed telnet on the box and use a command window to telnet into the box IP address and follow this procedure

Connect into the PVR over telnet and run the following commands.
    humax# rm -rf /mod/*
    humax# /sbin/modinit
    humax# opkg update
    Then place the PVR into standby using the remote control (make sure it isn’t recording or about to record as it will not go into full standby) and start the system again.

This will not remove the contents of the virtual disk provided by the virtual-disk package. If you wish to remove that too, then:
    humax# rm -rf /mnt/hd2/virtual_disk

If this sounds like double dutch you may need help with this.

| Wed 5 Dec 2012 10:46:40 #4 |
  5. musictechguy

musictechguy

Banned

I'd advise using Foxy. Read the instructions carefully. I wouldn't advise installing 3rd party software. The default Humax software is pretty good and installing other software risks complications.

| Fri 7 Dec 2012 13:34:59 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

musictechguy - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'd advise using Foxy. Read the instructions carefully. I wouldn't advise installing 3rd party software. The default Humax software is pretty good and installing other software risks complications.

Unless the OP can write to USB installing Foxy won't help (he currently can't). The CF allows the creation of a dummy usb virtual drive on the internal hdd.

| Fri 7 Dec 2012 14:43:42 #6 |
  7. af123

af123

grahamlthompson - 2 days ago  » 
    To remove the firmware you need to have installed telnet on the box and use a command window to telnet into the box IP address and follow this procedure

It's a lot easier than this these days. You just have to put the box into RMA (return-to-manufacturer) mode via the web interface or telnet menu, reboot and then reflash the official firmware.

Depending on what is wrong with the box, it's fairly likely the custom firmware would allow you to salvage the recordings.

| Fri 7 Dec 2012 16:48:12 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.