My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Green screen issue

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JK

I am seeking advice on a Green Screen problem with my Humax HDR. On some SD channels after about 20 minutes the screen goes green. Last night on 5* and tonight on Majic. It never happens on a HD channel.
    I got the Humax a month ago and it was connected to a LG LCD HD ready TV. It used a HDMI auto switch box to connect to the TV as it had only one HDMI input.
    Last week I upgraded my TV to a Samsung Full HD TV with 2 HDMI inputs. The Humax on HDMI 1 and a Blu-ray on HDMI 2. Now I have this green screen issue.
    Any help would be apprreciated.

| Tue 30 Apr 2013 20:44:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Green screen issues used to be the bane of my life and amongst the dozen or so different hdmi sources here only the Humax's suffered/caused problems (drove me barmy). All my other equipment sticks to what I tell it, Humax auto negotiates hdmi handshaking everytime and can be a real pain and just won't work with some displays.

Can you reliably replicate the problem? If so then you're halfway there to finding a solution and you're going to need some time.

I'm guessing you've swapped hdmi leads around and also tried hdmi-1 and hdmi-2 swaps.
    Checked for any firmware updates for the Samsung tv, blu-ray player and checked you're on the latest foxsat version.
    Have you left just the Humax cable plugged in and the blu-ray fully disconnected and still noticed the problem.
    Does it go away when you toggle the v-format button on the Humax remote, and what options do you have, should be something like 576i 576p 720p and 1080i
    If you can't get 1080i then you're looking at a factory reset on the foxsat and choose 1080i during setup, make a note of your scheduled recordings first.
    If you can toggle to 1080i and/or done a reset and still have the green screen then I'd try setting the blu-ray player to 1080i. If this works then you'll have to decide whether you are happy not having 1080p from the blu-ray or find another work around such as using the hdmi auto switch again as daft as that sounds.

Other people have returned their box and the replacement has been okay, which makes no sense to me unless the board design/revision has been changed

If none of this helps then??? I've noticed on my freeview (foxsat blocked by neighbour's trees) that when I set a series link for C5 it sometimes records the same on 5usa etc. and the same programme stored as a file from 5usa is around 2/3 the size of the same C5 one as well as a noticeable drop in picture quality. There will be a list of bit-rates somewhere and if the green screen only happens on these low bit-rate SD channels then that would be an explanation, doesn't help though.

Also check that the CEC on the samsung (anynet+) as well as arc is switched off as well as double checking all the other hdmi options. Whilst you're at it check the same on the blu-ray player.

I'm sure somewhere along the line you'll find a setting that works and then it's just a case of tweaking to find the optimum setting that suits best.

Let us know how you get on and if you find a work around; what it was and the model number of your tv/blu-ray if necessary as that may help others.

| Tue 30 Apr 2013 23:46:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JK

Thanks for the reply.
    I will try a few things out.
    More info:
    The new televison is a smart TV and wants to see the set top box on HDMI 1.
    The Blu-ray and Humax are never both on at the same time.
    It only happens when certain SD channels are selected, it never happens ITV+1 or the horror channel for example, and never on a HD channel.
    Both the Humax and Blu-ray are set to output at 1080.
    Reading about green screen issues that other people have,they appear at start up or channel change.
    My problem occurs after several minutes.

Today stayed good on magic, switched to movies4men and green screen after 10 minutes.
    Inserted HDMI switch into Humax to TV connection to see if any change.
    Monitoring to see what happens, will let you know.

| Wed 1 May 2013 18:51:45 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

JK - 1 day ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will try a few things out.
    More info:
    The new televison is a smart TV and wants to see the set top box on HDMI 1.
    -- hdmi 1 is more likely to have CEC and ARC support, neither of which is supported by Humax. If the smart tv has set top box for hdmi 1 then this can normally be edited to a more suitable name, it doesn't mean that STB's have to be plugged into hdmi 1. You need to test the Humax in hdmi 2
    The Blu-ray and Humax are never both on at the same time.
    -- There's a difference between switched on, in standby, switched off and physically disconnected. You need to test with the blu-ray physically disconnected
    It only happens when certain SD channels are selected, it never happens ITV+1 or the horror channel for example, and never on a HD channel.
    -- This is strange and the only difference I can see is bit-rate and I was wondering whether the tv re-negotiates hdmi handshake if the bit-rate is too low
    Both the Humax and Blu-ray are set to output at 1080.
    -- Yes, the Humax can only support 1080i the question was really whether the blu-ray was set at 1080i or 1080p assuming the Humax was outputting at 1080i. I'm thinking that the blu-ray at 1080p, left in standby shuts down after 20mins or so and affects the tv
    Reading about green screen issues that other people have,they appear at start up or channel change.
    -- Normally start up, disconnecting cables , toggling v-format, re-starting will force a new hdmi hdcp handshake
    My problem occurs after several minutes.
    Today stayed good on magic, switched to movies4men and green screen after 10 minutes.
    -- Hence the above questions/tests
    Inserted HDMI switch into Humax to TV connection to see if any change.
    -- Good, the switch should isolate hdmi inputs
    Monitoring to see what happens, will let you know.

I don't ask questions because I'm bored or want to send you on a wild goose chase, there is logic behind it. The more information you can provide the quicker the solution or work around. With your tv details and problem somebody googling will come across this thread and if they have the answer can help or if you have the answer can find a solution to their problem.
    A factory/default reset may solve all of your problems, you won't lose your recordings and takes a few minutes. Otherwise run through the stuff in #2 and please let us know how you get on.
    thanks

| Thu 2 May 2013 23:06:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JK

So far it has not happened with the HDMI switch in circuit.
    Current configuration Humax--HDMI switch--TV (HDMI input 1)
    Blu-ray---TV (HDMI input 2)

The TV is a Samsung UE22F5400AK.
    Will monitor further at let you know.
    Thanks for your assistance.

| Tue 7 May 2013 13:33:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Thanks for getting back to us and I'm glad you've found a work around.
    With a lot of trial and error you may find a way to connect the Humax directly so that it doesn't suffer the green screen issue, but it's certainly easier to leave the hdmi auto switch connected.

Just as a side note, some of these hdmi switches come with an external power supply, others can be powered from the hdmi cable. If yours does come with an external power supply then it'd be worthwhile trying it without to see if it will work without the external power supply which will save a bit of power and messy lead/plug etc. If yours doesn't come with an external power supply then please ignore the above side note.

| Tue 7 May 2013 23:08:22 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JK

So far still working fine with no green screen. The box is powered by the HDMI cable.

| Wed 15 May 2013 9:47:18 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JK

Still working fine.

| Sat 25 May 2013 20:41:34 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.