My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Guidance or Advice Please.

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hulme

Relatively new user with a couple of questions:-
    1/ Should this recorder be able to identify unscheduled program changes, we tend to be getting one or two now where we are missing either the beginning or the back end of the recording due to a shift in the broadcasting times.
    2/ On occassion a planned recording has been substituted with another program, the first time we find out is when we come to play the planned recording, is this correct or should the machine know?

Maybe we are expecting to much from the recorder.

| Fri 21 Dec 2018 22:52:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Hulme - 1 hour ago  » 
    1/ Should this recorder be able to identify unscheduled program changes, we tend to be getting one or two now where we are missing either the beginning or the back end of the recording due to a shift in the broadcasting times.

Yes it should but it does depend on the broadcaster updating the meta data. Could you provide examples of programmes where you have had problems?

2/ On occassion a planned recording has been substituted with another program, the first time we find out is when we come to play the planned recording, is this correct or should the machine know?

Again the recorder can distinguish providing the meta data has been updated. Again please provide specific examples when asking this sort of question.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 0:38:52 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Check you have NOT got padding turned on.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 12:08:28 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

For the last 7-10 days, almost all of my recordings from BBC channels have been truncated by varying degrees. Clearly a broadcaster error again.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 14:06:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hulme

Sorry for the initial lack of information regarding the actual programs involved.
    On Sunday the 16th December 2018 we were set to record the series of the apprentice on both the FVR 5000T and our upstairs Humax DTR T1010, however the previous program "Sports Personality of The Year" ran over, probably due to Brexit. When we played the recording we got 1/2hr of Sports Personality and 1/2hr of the Apprentice on the FVR 5000T, whereas our upstairs recorder the Humax DTR-T1010 500gb model actually reset the programming so we were able to watch the full hour of the Apprentice.
    On the 6th December 2018 we had set to record the series of Oxford Street on Channel 5. This would have been 2 of 4. The FVR 5000T recorded this with the title Oxford Street but when played the recording was about a Ship!!.
    Thanks for the responses, I will just have to check the instructions to determine what the padding feature is.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 15:45:53 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

Sound like you have got the 5000 set to manual timer or with padding?
    I believe that if you have padding, it ignores the broadcasters start and end 'flags'

Padding is when you deliberately set the recorder to start recording (say) 5 mins before the scheduled start time. The box then just does as it's been told to do. If the programme slips, as in your first example, the box doesn't give a toss and just starts recording at the time set (5 mins before scheduled time)

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 16:40:19 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hulme

Thanks for explaining the term padding, but no, I can say that all our programming is set direct from the guide on the television display.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 17:21:26 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Hulme - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for explaining the term padding, but no, I can say that all our programming is set direct from the guide on the television display.

Your FVP-5000T is capable of dauto-padding. If this is switched on in settings then programming "set direct from the guide on the television display" will behave as you describe.

On my copy of the manual the relevant description is in 'PVR Settings' on page GB29.
    If this option has been activated then what you describe will continue until either you change the setting, or you reset the machine to defaults.

The section includes a warning that the broadcast "Accurate recording" will be overridden when either padding option is set within the setting menu.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 19:20:36 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What Luke is saying is if you have set start and end times to anything other than auto, the broadcaster cannot adjust your recording start and stop times if the actual times deviate from the original scheduled times.

Auto is the default so you must have altered the settings yourself.

Most likely thinking it would stop recordings being cutoff, It may do so for some channels that do not use accurate recording. For most it's the opposite of what you should use.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 21:11:36 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hulme

Fortunately or unfortunately whichever way you look at it, I checked the PVR settings for the first time since we got the recorder and it was set to AUTO, which I take it is right! Presumably therefore something else is amiss!

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 22:53:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.