My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard disk upgrade - using WD20EURS 2tb

(101 posts)
  1. chistery

chistery

My HDR-1100s had a Seagate Video 3.5 HDD ST500VM000 in it.

| Wed 6 Sep 2017 20:55:16 #91 |
  2. nssvn

nssvn

chistery - 22 minutes ago  » 
    My HDR-1100s had a Seagate Video 3.5 HDD ST500VM000 in it.

Thank you for that, appreciated.

| Wed 6 Sep 2017 21:20:54 #92 |
  3. BritVik

BritVik

Hej from Sweden. During a spell in hospital my replacement HDD arrived and could hardly wait to get home and fit it. Have now done so and am now running a 2T Seagate Video 3.5 HDD after the Format, including programmed recordings.
    My problem now is regarding all the recordings on the old Seagate Video 3.5 HDD 500GB. I would like to find a way of transferring them - any ideas? I have a USB docking station which I connected up, it was recognised and some data was transferred, but nothing of help. The HDD just ran - and ran - to no avail. At one point I tried just turning it off and got a message not to do so under transfer - but nothing was being transferred. It ran for some four hours, too!
    Any thoughts about an external housing for 2 HDDs and having a switch to choose one and isolate the other even, as a way round to getting at the programmes already recorded, making the change with the main box powerless. Or am I just being naive??
    At 85 I can be! I would, of course, prefer to transfer the data and programmes, but know not how since the computer does not read either disk for that purpose. Wrong format computer-wise.

| Mon 11 Sep 2017 16:32:34 #93 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

BritVik - 1 minute ago  » 
    Hej from Sweden. During a spell in hospital my replacement HDD arrived and could hardly wait to get home and fit it. Have now done som and am now running a 2T Seagate Video 3.5 HDD after the Format.
    My problem now is regarding all the recordings on the old Seagate Video 3.5 HDD 500GB. Either I must find a way of transferring them - any ideas? I have a USB docking station which I connected up, it was recognised, and some data was transferred, but nothing to help. The HDD just ran - and ran - to no avail. At one point I tried just turning it off and got a message not to do so under transfer - but nothing was being transferred.
    Any thoughts about an external housing for 2 HDDs and having a switch to choose one and isolate the other even, as a way round to getting at the programmes already recorded, making the change with the main box powerless. Or am I just being naive??
    At 85 I can be!

There is no known way to transfer the existing recordings from a 2nd generation Freesat box from the old box hard drive to to the new drive.

Using a Foxsat-HDR I used an external drive cradle and an esata cable which did allow two drives to be swapped with the power off. You could record to either connected drive. I made a relay switch powered from the internal hard drive power supply to switch the cradle external power on and off to avoid the drive being permanently powered. You may be able to use a PC power saver controlled by usb to do the same job.

You need a esata drive enclosure similar to this

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-External-Docking-Station-3-5inch/dp/B005UA3I72/?tag=blusas008-21

and a standard esata cable

On the foxsat there was a convenient hole to route the cable to the rear of the box.

Without trying it no way of telling if the G2 boxes will seamlessly accept the drive swap.

| Mon 11 Sep 2017 16:48:07 #94 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes very interesting and I would like to see 2Tb or more becoming standard on PVR boxes. Did you fing the combined pwr/data cable stiff to remove as they seem to be well in there?

Ive got 500gb and although I still have 60% left to use, it could fill up very fast if I was as easy going as I would like to be with the record button.

It would also be nice to see modular hard drives that could be slid into a side panel like the games consoles.

I would also like to see easy transfer of recordings to a new box when upgrading or moving on. I understand its all tied up with worries about copy protection but I just get the feeling that PVRs are not where they need to be yet for full user friendliness

Best wishes to everyone on the forum

| Mon 11 Sep 2017 17:58:50 #95 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Yes very interesting and I would like to see 2Tb or more becoming standard on PVR boxes. Did you fing the combined pwr/data cable stiff to remove as they seem to be well in there?
    Ive got 500gb and although I still have 60% left to use, it could fill up very fast if I was as easy going as I would like to be with the record button.
    It would also be nice to see modular hard drives that could be slid into a side panel like the games consoles.
    I would also like to see easy transfer of recordings to a new box when upgrading or moving on. I understand its all tied up with worries about copy protection but I just get the feeling that PVRs are not where they need to be yet for full user friendliness
    Best wishes to everyone on the forum

The external sata dock gives you the same drive swappable capability as a box with a drive slot. On a Foxsat-hdr (and I imagine on a G2 box) the epg cache is held in NVram and is loaded to the hard disk on boot.

If the G2 box is the same you should be able to seamlessly swap drives.

Unfortunately the failure of my 4 yr old 2TB drive in my HDR-1000S precipitated a recent swap to a Seagate 2TB pipeline so I was unable to try this with the old drive.

| Mon 11 Sep 2017 18:05:59 #96 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Looking back I think I should point out to the OP a USB connection to the hard drive will not work. A direct SATA connection to the hard drive from the SATA port on the motherboard plus a suitable power supply to the external hard drive is required. That way the box has no idea if the box is internal or internal. It should perform exactly the same as if the drive was internally installed.

| Mon 11 Sep 2017 21:00:28 #97 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes well I will look into the external hard drive possibilities but we seem a long way off getting an affordable PVR with the features I would like to see.

Theres should be a standard connection for an external drive on the back panel and some way of taking recordings with us to a new box.

Just as a slight example, I had some good stuff Like John Peel tribute TV shows recorded on my original Humax. I know its in standard definition and non HDMI but the only way I can save those is by coming out through the scart into a dvd recorder which is a bit time consuming.

I may be a bit naive with these things but if 120gb of data could be transferred from the old xbox 360 to the slim version (With the transfer kit which then wipes the donor hard drive) then I would hope to see hard drive transfer on all related products.

Anyway an easy fit external hard drive would be great...Why can't they or wont they do that?

Best wishes

| Mon 11 Sep 2017 22:05:13 #98 |
  9. BritVik

BritVik

Hi folks,
    I have been browsing Amazon regarding swapping between HDD’s on an HDR-1000S. Of necessity I have to think a little differently to many of you, hampered as I am by the need for a wheelchair. My ‘music unit’ is about 250cm x 200cm x 35cm and weighs about a ton. Well that is what it feels like when I endeavour to move it, so most of what I would like to do has to be front side, great when all the contacts are on the rear!
    Anyway, to business. About the best I seem to be able to come up with is simply a docking station feeding the Freesat via a eSATA cable and having a separate power feed for the on/off swap business. I have not found anything suitable for switching of one or the other HDD’s, so switchable, semi-permanent attachment is not possible. At a guess, catering for us Freesat owners seems to carry very little importance. Ideally, a two port docking unit with power switching for each drive and two-into-one eSATA cable to the Freesat so that swapping only entails switching the one or the other HDD into use. But due no doubt to the size of the market, it can be but a pipe dream. Units available, well I have provisionally set my sights on two models:-
    1. Tooploo 2.5"/ 3.5" IDE & SATA eSATA USB 2.0 USB Port OTB 5 in 1 Card Reader HDD Docking Station which has a power /supply/switch for the whole unit and comes in atGBP22,56
    2.Sisun 2.5"/3.5" IDE SATA HDD Docking Station +Card Reader Hub (Black) Much the same as above at a reduced price of GBP19,98
    3. Available for you in the UK :- ColorMaxNet 2.5" 3.5" SATA/IDE HDD 2-Dock Docking Station e-SATA Hub - pretty much as above, also has own switched power supply.
    Any thoughts, for good or bad, chaps. I personally am in no hurry to make the purchase, cancer will take its toll I fear. But I would appreciate being able to see programmes recorded on the original 500GB HDD.

A further point, regarding recordings - is it me or - the ease with which programmes wanted for keeping - example - Ken Dodd at ninety which got deleted by mistake -yet how eludes me A secondary check prior to deletion would be excellent as on my Panasonic DVR, but there I was, now devoid of that recording which - as far as I am aware, is not recoverable. OK so I should have ‘signed it’ keep, but that was just what I was attempting to do when ‘it weren’t no longer there’.

Looking forward to your comments.

BritVik

| Thu 5 Apr 2018 19:31:48 #99 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I built my own power switch for the external caddy on my Foxsat-HDR using the 12V drive power supply to switch on the power to the external caddy.

However later I used a computer power saving switch which turns off sockets when a usb port is unpowered similar to this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-DOWN-EXTENSION-LEAD-STANDBY-USB-CONTROLLED-ANTI-SURGE-ENERGY-SAVING-MASTER-/141314890586?clk_rvr_id=1490450326192&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=twenga&utm_campaign=twenga&utm_param=eyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzVhMTU5NzUxZmI1MjZhYjhhMGJjY2IzNzY1MzFiZCIsImkiOiIxNDEzMTQ4OTA1ODYiLCJ0cyI6MTUyMjk1MzkyNSwidiI6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjU3MjE1fQ%3D%3D&rmvSB=true

I used this a external hard drive used to record from a HD-FOX T2 and it worked OK.

| Thu 5 Apr 2018 19:50:40 #100 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.