My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

blumsonp

I tried another disk. It was another Seagate, 320Gb this time. I think it was the original disk from my old FOXSAT-HDR.
    Well, it formatted straight away and has run without any problems for two evenings now.
    Underlying problems with the box may yet resurface, but at the moment it seems the problem was with the HDDs - the original and the first one I tried. It seems the box (my box anyway) is quite fussy about the HDD. Perhaps the performance of the original HDD had degraded to an unacceptable level.
    Anyway, thanks for your help.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 9:17:17 #501 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Can't remember the spec but when my box had problems, research showed that the hard drive was optimised for video playback etc.
    Bought a refurb for £29. Problem wasn't the hard drive but it was a cheap fix if it had been.

| Wed 16 Aug 2017 13:41:15 #502 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

blumsonp

Just to update anyone following this. My box failed again with disk errors last night so it seems the problem is probably not with the HDDs. Time for a new box.

| Fri 18 Aug 2017 15:24:15 #503 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Cheapest option mate is to buy a used PVR-9300T etc from fleabay.
    Parts are available and they are an easy fix.
    Should get change from £30 for a working box.

| Fri 18 Aug 2017 16:09:54 #504 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AndyT - 1 hour ago  » 
    Cheapest option mate is to buy a used PVR-9300T etc from fleabay.
    Parts are available and they are an easy fix.
    Should get change from £30 for a working box.

Slightly odd recommendation for someone with a satellite box and in my view the 9300T has enough problems (juddery playback on some program content; poor remote response if tuned to a full set of multiplexes) to be not a great option unless the budget is very tight.

| Fri 18 Aug 2017 17:21:20 #505 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Not odd just cheap, gives you time to research etc.
    Repaired my foxsat box too for £20 or so.
    I'm less than impressed with the reliability, so they aren't getting mega bucks from me until it's sorted.

| Fri 18 Aug 2017 17:58:52 #506 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

What confuses me is he has tried two disks from (in his own description) what were previously failing boxes and still believes that it is the 1000S that is at fault. What happened to fitting a new unused disk? Certainly cheaper than buying a new box.

| Fri 18 Aug 2017 19:48:27 #507 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

blumsonp

The last disk worked fine in the FOXSAT HDR. In fact all the disks work fine except in this HDR1000s. Not worth throwing good money after bad.

| Sat 26 Aug 2017 11:06:14 #508 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

blumsonp - 12 minutes ago  » 
    The last disk worked fine in the FOXSAT HDR. In fact all the disks work fine except in this HDR1000s. Not worth throwing good money after bad.

The Foxsat-HDR and the HDR-1000S use different filing systems and partitions, unless all partitions on a disk are deleted first, I would not be surprised that they did not work.

| Sat 26 Aug 2017 11:21:29 #509 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 

blumsonp - 12 minutes ago  » 

The Foxsat-HDR and the HDR-1000S use different filing systems and partitions, unless all partitions on a disk are deleted first, I would not be surprised that they did not work.

From post #501 above you can read that the disk from the Foxsat did install/format OK, but then failed with disk errors. Why that convinced the OP that the box was at fault is what I question. If he's happy laying out on a new box vs a new disk then fine.

| Sat 26 Aug 2017 12:27:30 #510 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.