My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevieee

I got a 1TB box which matched my 1TB box?

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 13:52:02 #541 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

Thanks scriabin for the very useful post #536.

"I did this and spoke to a much more amenable lady representative who confirmed that a replacement was available at £55 if I could prove that I had the appropriate issue."

The fault on mine is identical to yours (see pic).

I'm still waiting for the promised call back from customer services but, in fairness, that made be due to a reluctance to engage with my French answerphone when I was out. I'll be over in UK in about a month so might try my luck then, hoping that by then they have replacements in stock!

As a matter of interest, can anyone identify which of the resistors(?) in the HD area in the second pic is the likely culprit?

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 16:19:42 #542 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

Oooops, exceeded permitted file size Try again...

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 16:44:03 #543 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

OK, I give up. File sizes are now 896KB and 657KB; anything smaller any the details will disappear...

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 16:53:23 #544 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

alanf - 9 minutes ago  » 
    OK, I give up. File sizes are now 896KB and 657KB; anything smaller any the details will disappear...

For portrait images cropping and resampling to 1200 pixels vertically or for landscape 1200 pixels horizontally should be fine even on best quality jpeg recoding.

You will need a camera with macro focussing to get small details.

At that size on the average laptop it should be nearly full screen at 1:1 pixel mapping.

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 17:07:13 #545 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

Thanks for the suggestions Graham. I've resized one pic to 1200 (x677) pixels but this gives a file size (.jpg) of 197.1KB, but the upload limit is 0.1MB = 100KB.

The closest I can get <100KB is 98.5KB with at a resolution of 677x372.

I'll try both of these now and see what happens!

Attachments

1. 170921_Humax_settings_storage2.jpg (98.5 KB, 21 downloads) 6 years old
    | Thu 21 Sep 2017 17:45:04 #546 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

OK, so the 98.5KB worked, the 197.1 didn't. But the other pic I tried of the mobo isn't going to show enough detail (was taken on macro).

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 17:48:52 #547 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

alanf - 6 minutes ago  » 
    OK, so the 98.5KB worked, the 197.1 didn't. But the other pic I tried of the mobo isn't going to show enough detail (was taken on macro).

You could try uploading the larger images to a free file share site and posting the link.

However I get a 20MB upload limit. Could be down to number of posts.

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 17:56:40 #548 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

alanf - 2 hours ago
    The fault on mine is identical to yours (see pic).
    I'm still waiting for the promised call back from customer services............

I think you'll be waiting a long time for a call-back from Humax. I asked if they would call me when they had stock of the refurbished boxes and their response was they wouldn't, but they couldn't, as they have no external phone.

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 19:07:32 #549 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

stevieee - 21 hours ago  » 
    I initially report the issue during the warranty period, Since then been using my smart TV and added a hard disk.
    Had to go for a different colour as white was out of stock but as everything else is now black not a problem.
    If they had wanted cash to fix it I would have probably gone for it but avoided the brand in the future.
    Again, right thing to do.

(And #541 stevieee added) - I got a 1TB box which matched my 1TB box?

I guess the reason Humax gave you a 1TB box is that you had begun your complaint process whilst in warranty; whereas my box failed just 9 months beyond warranty and it's only out of the generosity of Humax that they are prepared to make the offer of a 500GB box as a replacement for my 1TB; even though it appears to be a broadly found issue if not systemic.

The main issue is that Humax have no competition in the Freesat market. There are other Satellite boxes but they are not "Freesat" so are more awkward to use (no Freesat EPG); and all that I have found have only a single satellite connection so cannot record a channel whilst watching another.

Until Freesat brings other suppliers into their closed market users will have little choice.

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 19:29:01 #550 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.