My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I'm pretty sure it's not Germany. Either the Czech Republic or Slovakia as I recall. That in no way excuses Humax from what would appear to me to be a component sourcing decision driven by cost cutting. About a year after announcement the 1000S boxes dropped in price by around 25%, due I guess because they were not shifting at the original price. Hardware-wise they are grossly overpriced, the markup being driven probably by royalties to Freesat for use of the s/w and brand. The single reason for buying the Freesat boxes is the EPG.

| Thu 5 Oct 2017 17:30:23 #571 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm pretty sure it's not Germany. Either the Czech Republic or Slovakia as I recall. That in no way excuses Humax from what would appear to me to be a component sourcing decision driven by cost cutting. About a year after announcement the 1000S boxes dropped in price by around 25%, due I guess because they were not shifting at the original price. Hardware-wise they are grossly overpriced, the markup being driven probably by royalties to Freesat for use of the s/w and brand. The single reason for buying the Freesat boxes is the EPG.

My replacement is manufactured in Poland; whether Poland is the only factory I have no idea.
    I agree that Freesat royalties are very likely adding to the price but the Freetime EPG with catch-up services is good and makes the package much easier to use than the vanilla satellite service on my TV.

| Thu 5 Oct 2017 19:21:24 #572 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Regarding Seagate hard drive failures from Humax boxes.
    I buy quite a few faulty boxes , (particularly DTR models) and find there are a lot of hard drive failures, (I have eight 1TB seagate drives in my cupboard not to mention half a dozen 500GB all from DTR boxes and all prevented the Humax boxes from starting and subsequently failed the Seatools for Windows[i] test program on my desktop. At least three of the drives prevented the PC from booting when the drives were connected with the computer switched off. I just mention this out of interest after reading other posts in this topic regarding hard drive failures. And the annoying thing is that although over half the drives were well within the Seagate warranty period, Seagate just refers you to Humax as they are supplied to Humax and Humax is only interested in the boxes warranty and to check the drive you obviously have to break the seal on the box which invalidates the warranty. So Humax is not interested.
    Anybody got a use for some drives that are basically scrap metal?
    Boyd (mactoshb)

| Wed 25 Oct 2017 9:16:27 #573 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

whatdoidohere

Hello,
    I have a Humax HDR-1000S 1TB which is just under 3 years old and for the the last 2 - 3 months I have been having the same problem that a lot of people on here have, and have had, namely recordings not being recognised, hard drive not there etc.....

So after reading on this forum I contacted Humax and complained and have a replacement coming on Thursday this week, (16/11/2017), but my ‘problem’ is that I turned it on this morning before disconnecting it and the hard drive and recordings are back again!

I’m just wondering that Humax are going to get my machine and go ‘There’s nowt wrong with this one he’s just trying to rip us off’, which I’m most certainly not attempting to do I must say as I am losing 5% of recordings of the wife’s that she’s not seen yet.

Sorry about the long post.

Thanks for any help.

whatdoidohere

| Wed 15 Nov 2017 9:41:22 #574 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

You need not be concerned, Humax are fully aware that on return some units work out of the box.

| Wed 15 Nov 2017 9:58:08 #575 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

whatdoidohere

Thanks for the welcome Barry, I’ve been ‘lurking’ on these forums since I bought the hummy but because I had no problems I had no need, I thought, to join and post anything, though I’ve learnt all sorts about the box and how to set it up and use it from within here.

And thanks again for the box working when they receive it, if it’s still doing, let’s just hope that the replacement lasts a long while with no problems.

Cheers for that.

whatdoidohere

| Wed 15 Nov 2017 10:19:34 #576 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickkr

I've been struggling with this HD issue for a while now but thanks mainly to this forum I contacted HUMAX and did the £55 swop which will happen tomorrow. my machine is well over 4 years old so it is good that HUMAX are offering a fairly reasonable solution.
    There seems to be a shortage of the 1 TB (which my unit is). Having waited quite a while for them to come in stock and no clear idea from HUMAX when stock would be available I conceded to accept a 500GB unit.
    Humax wouldn't budge on a price reduction for the lower capacity machine but I honestly don't think it will be a problem as in practice as I rarely of ever got over 10% full on the 1TB HD. I did have moment of "you idiot" when I put the phone down after paying for the 500GB to replace a 1TB which would have cost the same but frankly I'll just be glad to have a working reliable machine again.

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 9:16:17 #577 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

I bit the bullet on my recent trip to UK and bought a new HDR1100S to replace my HD-faulty HDR1000S. (Taking the latter with me would have meant her-indoors being deprived of TV during my absence!) I intend taking the faulty unit back with me for a Humax exchange on the next trip. Can never have too much of a good thing!

Just a few observations after installing the 1100S. The first thing I noticed was how much smaller it is - about half the volume of the 1000S. I'm guessing that this means the latter's 3.5in HD has now been replaced by a 2.5in. This must mean that the motherboard has been completely redesigned, so hopefully the components responsible for the failure of the HD functionality have been isolated and designed out! (I wonder how much pressure Freesat might have exerted to improve the reliability?!) The s/n label now specifies Poland as the country of manufacture, rather than 'EU' before. A second year's warranty is conferred by registering the box online with Humax (make a note of the serial number before you tuck it away if your installation is likely to make turning it over difficult.)

The inclusion in the 1100S of a wi-fi network adapter is a useful enhancement - one less physical connection to make. (The RJ-11 is still there if you prefer.) The 'front' USB connector has moved to the RH side panel, whilst the alphanumeric display has disappeared completely from the front panel. Personally, I'm quite happy with this as I found it a little distracting, especially when scrolling with longer programme titles; all the information it provided is available on-screen anyway, at the press of a button on the remote. I haven't quite fathomed out the new LEDs which project their light from beneath the front of the unit; blue is on, red is off, but sometimes they are both on together. 'RTFM', I guess!

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 13:07:35 #578 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

Sorry, please read RJ45 vs RJ11 in above post - showing my age

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 13:16:58 #579 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

alanf - 30 minutes ago  » 
    I'm guessing that this means the latter's 3.5in HD has now been replaced by a 2.5in. This must mean that the motherboard has been completely redesigned, so hopefully the components responsible for the failure of the HD functionality have been isolated and designed out!

Why would a change of hard drive size require a motherboard redesign?

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 13:39:36 #580 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.