My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

scriabin - 9 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    The 1100S is not an improvement on the 1000S. It uses the same software and therefore an identical UI, and mostly the same hardware. It saves money by removing the front panel display and substituting a led indication that you cannot tell if the box is recording in sby or fully booted. Additionally it removes the capability to generate the best quality SD pictures when paired with a TV without HDMI, namely RGB via scart.
    SD video is relegated to the worst possible analogue connection namely composite (CVBS).
    Humax pvrs in my experience use Seagate Pipeline AV drives.
    I have a first generation HDR-1000S from the first batch.
    It's now on it's 3rd 2TB drive but pre-dates the motherboard issue found on later models.
    Considering it's used at least 16 hrs a day that's not a bad reliability record.

Fantastic reliability!
    I wonder where can I get one?
    And if I can how will I be certain that it's a 1st. gen 1000S as I wouldn't by a later gen for obvious reasons.
    Before I changed my TV and began using HDMI, I did use the component RGB video on my nth. gen. 1000S to connect my older TV and I agree it was excellent quality.
    As you're no doubt aware component video, even though analogue, can output HD and the HDMI powers-that-be are very much against that, and I believe this is why component video is now very hard to find on domestic video products.
    The composite was as good as it could ever be and I guess, with progress in mind, we have to be thankful that it's still supported on the 1100S.
    And yes the latest 1100S evidently uses the same platform software. But I've rather gotten used to what, some may say, is a somewhat clumsy UI that Humax don't appear to consider needs updating.
    So yes I accept the 1100S is not an improvement on the first generation 1000S except perhaps for the catch-up services.

Component isn't RGB (It's YCrCb). And the 1000S has exactly the same catch up services and user interface as the 1010S, 1100S and the two single tuner boxes (HB1000s and HB1100S). As it uses the same software find it hard to imagine why you think it does not.

The last Freeview pvrs that did have component out capability were the Topfield 5800T models, these could switch the TV scart from RGB to Component (as they use the same connections in the scart cable you can't have both at the same time).

Very handy to use with AV receivers which never have scart sockets but do have component in connections.

Unlike RGB component can (and was) be used to deliver high definition content. The first HD TV's only had component in (pre-dated HDMI).

Never seen a TV with component in on a scart socket. They invariably use 3 RCA phono connectors coloured Yellow(Y) Red(Cr) and Blue(Cb).

As for reliablity my 2008 Foxsat-HDR is still used every day and it still uses the same 1TB drive fitted about 2 months after purchase.

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 11:04:43 #591 |
  2. andyfras

andyfras

REPASSAC - 20 hours ago  » 
    The defective component is believed to be a single out of specification resistor.

It would be handy if we knew which resistor, so that it could be replaced by a competent electronics engineer without having to swap the whole box out, losing recordings in the process.

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 13:47:02 #592 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Indeed.

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 13:57:14 #593 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

scriabin: "my failed 1TB 1000S was replaced by Humax with a 1TB 1100S for £55 and no P&P".

I hadn't appreciated that this is what Humax are doing. It is then a very good deal!

Thanks also for correcting my assumption that the 1100S uses a 2.5in disk. I wonder what effect using a 5,400 rpm disk has on data transfer rate?

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 14:10:11 #594 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

alanf - 7 minutes ago  » 
    scriabin: "my failed 1TB 1000S was replaced by Humax with a 1TB 1100S for £55 and no P&P".
    I hadn't appreciated that this is what Humax are doing. It is then a very good deal!
    Thanks also for correcting my assumption that the 1100S uses a 2.5in disk. I wonder what effect using a 5,400 rpm disk has on data transfer rate?

HD video isn't demanding in transfer speeds. A HD channel probably averages about 10Mbps. Recording two and playing back a recording is a mere 30Mbps. Most of these drives can handle up to 10HD streams at the same time. The lower speed reduces the noise and the power consumption making it possible to design fanless models further reducing the noise levels.

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 14:21:48 #595 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

Valuable info - thank you.

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 14:28:07 #596 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago
    Component isn't RGB (It's YCrCb). And the 1000S has exactly the same catch up services and user interface as the 1010S, 1100S and the two single tuner boxes (HB1000s and HB1100S). As it uses the same software find it hard to imagine why you think it does not.
    The last Freeview pvrs that did have component out capability were the Topfield 5800T models, these could switch the TV scart from RGB to Component (as they use the same connections in the scart cable you can't have both at the same time).
    Very handy to use with AV receivers which never have scart sockets but do have component in connections.
    Unlike RGB component can (and was) be used to deliver high definition content. The first HD TV's only had component in (pre-dated HDMI).
    Never seen a TV with component in on a scart socket. They invariably use 3 RCA phono connectors coloured Yellow(Y) Red(Cr) and Blue(Cb).
    As for reliablity my 2008 Foxsat-HDR is still used every day and it still uses the same 1TB drive fitted about 2 months after purchase.

Yes agreed - I am aware of the differences between RGB & Component; the letters RGB slipped in by typing fingers overtaking the mind. Thanks for pointing it out before it confuses all & sundry.
    I never said I used scart to scart on my old TV - I had to make up a cable that went from SCART to RCA/Phono for the TV input; a bit amateurish but it worked well.

Glad to know your 1st generation 1000S has all the catch-up services of the current 1100S, which makes me want to find one even more.
    And I never believe that the same platform software always means that all features are maintained from release to release; 'been in the IT business for too long to think that.
    My last sentence was meant to end in a question mark; thus "except perhaps for the catch-up services?"

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 15:33:09 #597 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

scriabin - 1 minute ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago

Yes agreed - I am aware of the differences between RGB & Component; the letters RGB slipped in by typing fingers overtaking the mind. Thanks for pointing it out before it confuses all & sundry.
    I never said I used scart to scart on my old TV - I had to make up a cable that went from SCART to RCA/Phono for the TV input; a bit amateurish but it worked well.
    Glad to know your 1st generation 1000S has all the catch-up services of the current 1100S, which makes me want to find one even more.
    And I never believe that the same platform software always means that all features are maintained from release to release; 'been in the IT business for too long to think that.
    My last sentence was meant to end in a question mark; thus "except perhaps for the catch-up services?"

It's the same hardware as well, that's why you can use the same software. There's nothing they can add to to the 1100S that won't work on the 1000s and 1010S models.

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 15:37:05 #598 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickkr

Update on my swap. This happened as arranged on Friday. Very efficient DPD delivery of replacement 1100 in a plain cardboard box sealed ( for transportation) in secure plastic crate . Old unit taken and I kept remote and power supply. The 1010 was boxed up but the courier didn't want the box and just put the old unit loose in the crate. I hope it made the journey back in one piece, But he did take a photo before sealing the transport crate.
    Replacement unit was "as new" even covered in clear plastic film. I even though it might have been new or at best unused. However on set up I found the previous owner's profile was still in the Freesat id section when paring with my phone. Easy deleted but something HUMAX obviously don't realise remains when the box is reset back to factory setting.
    So far seems identical to the 1010 functionally save for no display on the front(Which I quite liked). I'm not sure about the "downlight" status indicator. Seems rather over designed when a simple LED would suffice.
    But for £55 all in to swop for a 4 year old unit I'm happy , particularly as I have now come to terms with allowing HUMAX to "persuade" me to take a 500GB rather than a 1TB

| Tue 21 Nov 2017 12:20:55 #599 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

AngusA

Just another datapoint on the hard drive issue. My HDR-1000s suddenly lost all recordings and ability to record/pause TV in mid October. That situation remained the same for around 4 weeks until suddenly last week, all recordings reappeared as did the record/pause capability. I noticed that for the entire period the box was faulty, the On Demand channels images disappeared even though on demand still worked okay. When the recordings reappeared, so did the On Demand images and I feel this is not coincidental. My gut feeling (as an electronic engineer) is that the issue I describe is firmware and not hardware related. Were it to be hardware, I cannot see why the box would recover nor why the On Demand images would re-appear at the same time as the recordings.

| Thu 30 Nov 2017 13:57:09 #600 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.