My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

I don't think I implied that the motherboard redesign was simply to accompany a change of HD form factor; a change of mounting hardware would achieve this.

However, I said in #577 above, the 1100 is half the volume of the 1000S (external dimensions 27x18x5=2430 cu.cm vs 35x23x6=4830 cu.cm); it would be difficult to shoe-horn a 3.5in HD into the new, smaller case.

The other changes I mentioned - addition of wi-fi network adapter inc. antenna, replacement of alphanumeric display with bi-colour led, change of USB port from front to side panel, etc. would also require a new mobo layout. A 2.5in HD requires less power than a 3.5in version, so it would make sense to reconfigure the power circuitry, and previous posts from those more knowledgeable than I, have suggested that this is the area of component failure which causes HD functionality to disappear, whilst the physical drives themselves remain OK.

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 15:57:03 #581 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

alanf - 1 minute ago  » 
    I don't think I implied that the motherboard redesign was simply to accompany a change of HD form factor; a change of mounting hardware would achieve this.
    However, I said in #577 above, the 1100 is half the volume of the 1000S (external dimensions 27x18x5=2430 cu.cm vs 35x23x6=4830 cu.cm); it would be difficult to shoe-horn a 3.5in HD into the new, smaller case.
    The other changes I mentioned - addition of wi-fi network adapter inc. antenna, replacement of alphanumeric display with bi-colour led, change of USB port from front to side panel, etc. would also require a new mobo layout. A 2.5in HD requires less power than a 3.5in version, so it would make sense to reconfigure the power circuitry, and previous posts from those more knowledgeable than I, have suggested that this is the area of component failure which causes HD functionality to disappear, whilst the physical drives themselves remain OK.

The new FVP-5000T is tiny, it still has a 3.5inch internal HDD. The clue would be in the external power supply supplied. The power on G2 units is an external 12V unit. You could run any of them from a regulated 12V supply providing sufficient current. I can't see that a new motherboard would be required, just a different drive mount. The data and power connections are identical.

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 16:03:50 #582 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

alanf - 13 minutes ago  » 

Really; then your choice of language was unfortunate. You said:
    "I'm guessing that this means the latter's 3.5in HD has now been replaced by a 2.5in. This must mean that the motherboard has been completely redesigned" What else did "This" refer to?

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 16:12:46 #583 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

Oh dear! My comments were intended as an observation of the differences between the newer 1100S and older 1000S, in case anyone has been thinking, like me, of paying £169 for a newer model in stead of £55 (plus £10-ish carriage) for an exchange older one.

What I did not anticipate, from a forum where members are characteristically courteous, polite and helpful, was your aggressive challenge to my comments: "Really; then your choice of language was unfortunate".

I was stating an opinion (the clue is in the word "guessing"). Why have you decided to take a personal pop at me?

The 1100 has half the floor-space of the 1000; the latter's mobo will not fit in the new box, ergo it must have been redesigned, by which I mean relaid out. I unreservedly retract my exaggeration "completely redesigned" and hope it makes you feel happier.

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 16:58:29 #584 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Sorry alanf, this is a friendly forum, Martin is a well respected member but in this case could have chosen more friendly words.

The defective component is believed to be a single out of specification resistor.

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 17:16:29 #585 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 17:44:39 #586 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

I am reasonably certain that the 1100S still has a 3.5 inch SATA drive. By examining through the underside grill with a torch the 3.5" form factor can be seen (a 2.5" drive is completely different [of course] though the SATA connections are the same).

I do expect that the motherboard has been redisigned to compact the layout whilst enabling the retention of the 3.5" drive.

Now, further to alanf's observations; it seems to me that the 1100S is also fan-less (unlike the 1000S) - at least I cannot hear a fan and one isn't visible through any grill. Perhaps this might alarm some users but I think some clever redesign must have occurred including the use of lower spin-rate drives (5400 rpm or even less maybe) with large integrated cache and additional cache on the motherboard; with no doubt better integrated & updated components.

Drives such as Western Digital's Purple range are designed for 24/7 running and due to their low spin-rate (5400rpm I think) use less power, generate much less heat and are quieter than many standard PC drives (which they could equally be used for); though I don't know what make of drive is in the 1100S - my comment is just an example of a possible drive selection.

If I am correct the fanless design is to be welcomed if not just for its quietness.

And lastly, if I may, I confirm my exchange of my failed 1TB 1000S was replaced by Humax with a 1TB 1100S for £55 and no P&P.
    Perhaps I was just lucky, though I would have accepted a 500GB 1100S if that was the only offer.

Evidently the 1100S is an improvement on the 1000S but not in video quality - that remains the same - just brilliant.

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 19:51:16 #587 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The 1100S is not an improvement on the 1000S. It uses the same software and therefore an identical UI, and mostly the same hardware. It saves money by removing the front panel display and substituting a led indication that you cannot tell if the box is recording in sby or fully booted. Additionally it removes the capability to generate the best quality SD pictures when paired with a TV without HDMI, namely RGB via scart.

SD video is relegated to the worst possible analogue connection namely composite (CVBS).

Humax pvrs in my experience use Seagate Pipeline AV drives.

I have a first generation HDR-1000S from the first batch.

It's now on it's 3rd 2TB drive but pre-dates the motherboard issue found on later models.

Considering it's used at least 16 hrs a day that's not a bad reliability record.

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 22:32:12 #588 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

REPASSAC - 6 hours ago  » 
    Sorry alanf, this is a friendly forum, Martin is a well respected member but in this case could have chosen more friendly words.

I was simply trying to refute the point that the change of hard drive would mean that the motherboard has to be redesigned which is still how I interpret the original comment. I know nothing about these models and happily accept that the motherboard has been redesigned to make the unit more compact BUT that is not what was said initially.

| Thu 16 Nov 2017 23:27:10 #589 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    The 1100S is not an improvement on the 1000S. It uses the same software and therefore an identical UI, and mostly the same hardware. It saves money by removing the front panel display and substituting a led indication that you cannot tell if the box is recording in sby or fully booted. Additionally it removes the capability to generate the best quality SD pictures when paired with a TV without HDMI, namely RGB via scart.
    SD video is relegated to the worst possible analogue connection namely composite (CVBS).
    Humax pvrs in my experience use Seagate Pipeline AV drives.
    I have a first generation HDR-1000S from the first batch.
    It's now on it's 3rd 2TB drive but pre-dates the motherboard issue found on later models.
    Considering it's used at least 16 hrs a day that's not a bad reliability record.

Fantastic reliability!
    I wonder where can I get one?
    And if I can how will I be certain that it's a 1st. gen 1000S as I wouldn't by a later gen for obvious reasons.

Before I changed my TV and began using HDMI, I did use the component RGB video on my nth. gen. 1000S to connect my older TV and I agree it was excellent quality.

As you're no doubt aware component video, even though analogue, can output HD and the HDMI powers-that-be are very much against that, and I believe this is why component video is now very hard to find on domestic video products.

The composite was as good as it could ever be and I guess, with progress in mind, we have to be thankful that it's still supported on the 1100S.

And yes the latest 1100S evidently uses the same platform software. But I've rather gotten used to what, some may say, is a somewhat clumsy UI that Humax don't appear to consider needs updating.

So yes I accept the 1100S is not an improvement on the first generation 1000S except perhaps for the catch-up services.

| Fri 17 Nov 2017 1:36:51 #590 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.