My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

HD reception very poor ???

(24 posts)
  1. andywhitham

andywhitham

Hi owen, well it hasnt been moved since they installed it, and, as I say we have had fantastic hd pictures over the last month, and the aerial does seem to be pointing in the same direction as everyone else's does. Im thinking perhaps Emley Moor may have a temporary issue as everything was perfect until about 3.45pm today when, upon switching the tv on, the hd channels were pixelated, and broken, as they are now.

| Fri 21 Dec 2012 19:07:06 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Have you installed any new kit recently or moved the box hdmi cable closer to the aerial cabling. If you connect by scart and remove the hdmi cable completely does the problem go away ?

Try removing hdmi leads from any other kit you may have.

Are the aerial elements vertical or horizontal ?

No reported issues from Emley Moor (have you asked your neighbours ? )

| Fri 21 Dec 2012 19:17:43 #12 |
  3. andywhitham

andywhitham

Hi Graham..got to say no to everything there..as I said earlier, absolutely nothing has been touched, changed, added..aerial elements are horizontal...tomorrow I will try a full re-install, clean all ports etc in the morning..only x1 hdmi lead,...maybe if I just cleaned everything that might help..just so odd that one minute its been working without problem and the next, all hd transmissions are pixelated and broken.....very odd

| Fri 21 Dec 2012 19:36:56 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Andy, by the sound of post of #12 you may not be following the manual search instructions that were indirectly linked to earlier.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/transmitters#post-2336

After cancelling the auto-tune use each of Emley Moor's frequencies 41, 44, 47, 51 and 52 but make sure that the network search option is switched off.

The Network search option only works for some transmitters (e.g. Crystal Place and using the HD frequency) but some do not (e.g. Sudbury which then tries to tune to the Tacolneston SD channels instead of Sudbury).
    When not using the Network search option all Emley Moor's frequencies must be manually tuned.

| Sat 22 Dec 2012 9:09:06 #14 |
  5. andywhitham

andywhitham

Hi, well its 9am, Saturday morning and guess what...the hd is back, working as perfectly as before?????. No idea what the problem was /is but I have all x4 HD channels back this morning, all in their respective programme numbers ( 101,102 etc). So I dont know, maybe Emley Mooor had an issue, maybe the rain affected something, but, main thing is it appears to be back working again, so a big thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, all were much appreciated, thank-you. ~~ andy

| Sat 22 Dec 2012 9:54:19 #15 |
  6. andywhitham

andywhitham

Hi, alas the p[roblem has returned, with the x4 HD channels pixalting, and the picture/sound breaking up. I have followed the given instructions to the letter to re-tune but no difference.
    The 6 numbers from my local transmitter ( Emley Moor ) are ch.41,44,47,48,51 and 52.
    I have set it to auto retune and immediately cancelled, the manual tuned to each of the 6 aforementioned chanel numbers. All of the with the exception of Ch.41 have tuned in a certain number of channels on the DVB-T setting, but when I try manual tuning for ch.41 I get no channel found, UNLESS I switch the setting to DVB-T2, which I assume is the HD channel as once I switch to this setting it loads/tunes up the hd channels. But, once all that is done, the x4 HD channels are still breaking up and pixelating. I cant understand why this is happening as on Saturday morning ALL HD channels were fine, then last night they all went scrambled again without us touching anything except change channels on the tv in the usual way with the remote.
    So I'm stumped as to what to try next. Remembering that the exterior aerial is fine, and we had perfect pictures until a few days ago when this problem started.

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 12:42:05 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Oh dear.

How close are you to Emley Moor ?

Do you have a uhf splitter available. If so can you try fitting it to the aerial input to the box to see if reducing the signal level makes any difference.

Do you have any amplifiers in your system especially a masthead one fitted to get digital before DSO ? If so try removing it.

As before check with close neighbours to eliminate a local interference source.

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 13:03:10 #17 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Do you or your neighbours have Christmas lights?

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 13:05:07 #18 |
  9. andywhitham

andywhitham

Hi, thanks for your messages, Graham, we are about 12 miles from the transmitter at Emley Moor, and regarding splitters etc we dont have one of those, just a standard aerial cable running from the new roof aerial, down the building, through the window and plugged into the back of the Humax box.
    The neighbour 2 doors down from us does have a lot of christmas decorations fitted to the outside of her house, which are lit and flashing during the evening..but they are off during the daytime and this HD problem is constant.

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 13:10:53 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

When the new aerial was installed was a new coax downlead fitted ?

Does the cable go through a wallbox ?

Is the Belling Lee aerial connector properly fitted. Check very carefully for a tiny whisker of screen touching the centre core. Unless the connector has a tiny screw to clamp the core it should be soldered. I usually use F connectors with the appropriate adaptors. These don't need soldering.

Although unlikely too high a signal may be the problem as the box has a pretty sensitive tuner, a cheap plug in attenuator will solve this. (a splitter will reduce the signal level by a bit more than 50%)
    Other than the local source of interference running out of ideas.

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 13:20:15 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.