My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

HD reception very poor ???

(24 posts)
  1. andywhitham

andywhitham

Hi Graham, thanks for your help in this matter, its much appreciated although to be honest its a little complicated for my basic knowledge. What I have just done is to contact the company who installed the new aerial, about 10 mins ago and I awaiting a call back from them. If I can get them over here ( probably not till after the holidays) then they can sort it out.
    From what I can see, the cable is a potential problem as we have just had a new roof put onto the bungalow and I did notice that there was a few cracks on the cable casing, but, the HD DID work before they left so I didnt question it at the time. Perhaps this could be the problem...

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 13:26:16 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andywhitham - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham, thanks for your help in this matter, its much appreciated although to be honest its a little complicated for my basic knowledge. What I have just done is to contact the company who installed the new aerial, about 10 mins ago and I awaiting a call back from them. If I can get them over here ( probably not till after the holidays) then they can sort it out.
    From what I can see, the cable is a potential problem as we have just had a new roof put onto the bungalow and I did notice that there was a few cracks on the cable casing, but, the HD DID work before they left so I didnt question it at the time. Perhaps this could be the problem...

Cracks in the cable coax cover is a definite problem. Water in the coax affects some frequencies more than others. Make sure it's not tracking internally down the coax, if it gets into your set top box it can do some expensive damage.

The coax should have been replaced along with the aerial preferably with double screened WF100 grade coax.

In all probability your old aerial would have been fine if the coax had just been replaced. Were the contractors CAI approved ?

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 13:35:33 #22 |
  3. andywhitham

andywhitham

The contractors were hired by the company who own the bungalow we rent, I think they are undergoing a big re-roofing contract at the moment, so we got a new roof, along with new aerial etc. Still awaiting a phone call from them, hopefully get them back here asap.

** Just been outside checking the aerial cable running down the side of the bungalow. Its not best quality, looks very old and when I came back into the house and switched to HD, it seems to be working again, so it looks like the exterior cable could be the fault. Will definately get them to change the whole length of cable from aerial to Humax box when they come.

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 14:22:35 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Unscrew the coax plug that is connected to your box and check carefully for damp (a piece of bog roll makes a good damp tester - assuming you don't use the old Izal type ). Coax cable makes a good microbore water pipe.

I would wind some insulation tape tightly around any cracks in the outer cable as a temporary water protection.

Self amalgamating tape is even better.

| Mon 24 Dec 2012 14:50:11 #24 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.