My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000 slow when networked

(28 posts)
  1. Hogweed

Hogweed

As per the title, the other day I connected my Humax to my home network. This consists of a BT Home Hub, which serves my laptop and phone via Wi-Fi.

The Humax not having Wi-Fi, I used a pair of powerline adapters and an Ethernet cable to network it.

Since then, however, it’s been responding very badly to the remote control – I find myself stabbing furiously at it, then eventually it responds. I know it’s not the buttons on the remote, as that’s a Harmony device which operates my Freeview recorder and Blu-Ray player, and they still work absolutely fine.

Anybody else seen this?
    Thanks

| Thu 26 Sep 2019 22:45:54 #1 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

Does it come back to 'normal' if you disconnect the network? i.e. is the 'fault' repeatable?

| Thu 26 Sep 2019 23:37:58 #2 |
  3. Hogweed

Hogweed

Trev - 4 mins ago  » 
    Does it come back to 'normal' if you disconnect the network? i.e. is the 'fault' repeatable?

Sorry, it's been a long day struggling with an oil boiler... should have said yes, when I pull the ethernet cable, it immediately behaves normally again.

| Thu 26 Sep 2019 23:42:59 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

All My kit is connected with a single pair of Homeplug adaptors using a network switch .

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

They all work OK including the Humax pvrs.

How close is the homeplug to the box as they radiate a fair amount of RF.

| Fri 27 Sep 2019 12:15:36 #4 |
  5. Hogweed

Hogweed

grahamlthompson - 21 hours ago  » 

I suppose about 18"... and I have no switch, just the adapter. It's a real pain, as I'm having to leave it unplugged, then go over and start poking around at the back to connect the cable if I want to catch up on something.

Ummm... if it was an RF issue, wouldn't it persist if the cable was disconnected..?

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 9:52:42 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 21 hours ago  » 

I suppose about 18"... and I have no switch, just the adapter. It's a real pain, as I'm having to leave it unplugged, then go over and start poking around at the back to connect the cable if I want to catch up on something.
    Ummm... if it was an RF issue, wouldn't it persist if the cable was disconnected..?

If the homeplug adaptor has power saving disconnecting the cable will turn off the adaptor so there won't be any rf emissions to cause any issues.

As test try a longer cat 5 patch lead and plug the adaptor into a socket well away from the Humax.

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 12:09:39 #6 |
  7. Hogweed

Hogweed

OK don't think I have a long cable, so what I did to make sure it's still live was plug it into my Blu-Ray player underneath, which is switched on - Humax performing perfectly.

Looks like the Humax is "doing something" constantly on the cable

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 18:11:00 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I have my HDR1000S either powered on or in standby, permanently. However, my 3 x HB1000S are switched off for lengthy periods and when powered on they spend the next hour or so populating the EPG data. You can see this in the PIP window where instead of a picture of the currently tuned pgm there is a message which I recall says something like "downloading data". During that time the box is slower than normal to respond to the R/C. So is the HDR doing that?

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 19:32:37 #8 |
  9. Hogweed

Hogweed

Well, if I undertsand you correctly, no - I never switch anything off.

And if I pull the cable out, it immediately performs correctly.

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 19:34:51 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 3 hours ago  » 
    OK don't think I have a long cable, so what I did to make sure it's still live was plug it into my Blu-Ray player underneath, which is switched on - Humax performing perfectly.
    Looks like the Humax is "doing something" constantly on the cable

The humax box may well be still active for some time after you put it into sby.

It may be processing deletes for instance. To ensure it goes into full sby. Turn the power off for 5 mins or so. Restore the power and wait for the box to wake up for a few minutes to restart the system clock and then put it into sby again.

You can get 5M cat5 cable from Amazon for £2.49, so you can move the adapter to a distant location,

In my rack I have the following connected to a network switch with one socket connected to the single homeplug adaptor previously linked about say 2ft from the actual adaptor from the top of the stacked equipment with a cat 5 cable from each item to the network switch.

From Top to bottom

FVP-500T

LG smart Blu-ray player

HDR-FOX-T2

Yamaha AV receiver.

All of which work perfectly.

All the wired kit plus a remote Foxsat-HDR and my smart TV which also uses a pair of homeplug adaptors and a small network switch locally mounted (the TV and Foxsat-HDR are about 10m away), to provide a link to the main rack network switch all kit works perfectly.

The Foxsat-HDR and the HDR-FOX-T2 both have custom firmware installed. To ensure they have fixed IP address's both have IP addresses mapped to their MAC adresses in the router setup.

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 22:13:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.