My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000 slow when networked

(28 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 3 hours ago  » 
    I have my HDR1000S either powered on or in standby, permanently. However, my 3 x HB1000S are switched off for lengthy periods and when powered on they spend the next hour or so populating the EPG data. You can see this in the PIP window where instead of a picture of the currently tuned pgm there is a message which I recall says something like "downloading data". During that time the box is slower than normal to respond to the R/C. So is the HDR doing that?

Something is very wrong. The whole freesat epg should be able to download from the full epg carried on every transponder in the Freesat epg in around 30 seconds or so.

When you turn on on select say BBC1-HD which is 24/7 channel.

You should be able to watch the epg populate before your eyes.

Suspect the issue is that by leaving your box without power for long periods it simply does not get the opportunity to ever update the constantly changing transponder database. As the power consumption is minute in low power sby leaving them powered and a short 12-15 min daily power on/off cycle should keep the database for each box updated.

Look at the last few weeks changes your un-powered boxes will have missed.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/update-log-for-recordwatch-apps

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 22:40:57 #11 |
  2. Hogweed

Hogweed

Sorry Graham, I’m getting confused here… I thought you were suggesting that my problem might be caused by RF radiating from the Powerlink adapter?

So my strategy was to plug its Ethernet cable into the Blu-Ray player, to prevent it going into standby, so that it would radiate the same RF as when connected to the Humax, but not otherwise affect the Humax’s performance.

Did that not make sense?

I’m sure I can find a longer cable somewhere if I haven’t understand what you were trying to do…

Roger

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 22:51:06 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 3 mins ago  » 
    Sorry Graham, I’m getting confused here… I thought you were suggesting that my problem might be caused by RF radiating from the Powerlink adapter?
    So my strategy was to plug its Ethernet cable into the Blu-Ray player, to prevent it going into standby, so that it would radiate the same RF as when connected to the Humax, but not otherwise affect the Humax’s performance.
    Did that not make sense?
    I’m sure I can find a longer cable somewhere if I haven’t understand what you were trying to do…
    Roger

The issue may be down to the cat 5 cable acting as a a RF aerial or simply picking up from it's close proximity to the mains wiring.

All I can say I have a more complex system than most and the Home pair of adaptors I use works 100% despite it being used for a lot of wired kit mostly in the same location. Mine does have power saving but it works perfectly.

Perhaps the home plug adaptor is faulty.

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 23:00:04 #13 |
  4. Hogweed

Hogweed

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » To ensure they have fixed IP address's both have IP addresses mapped to their MAC adresses in the router setup.

Ummm... do I need to use a fixed IP?

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 23:45:02 #14 |
  5. Hogweed

Hogweed

Next time I ask you a question like this, please say things like “Roger, are you sure the cable is good…?” To which, in this case, I would have answered “Well, it’s been in the cable drawer for like a decade, but it’s brand new, don’t be so silly.”

However… here’s what I did. I found my LONG cable (it’s like 50 or 100 feet or something) and decided to be systematic, so connected it direct to the router, as it was long enough… seemed to work fine.

So then I did as you suggested, and used it to connect the powerline thingy (now in a different room) to the Humax – seemed OK. Finally, I put the powerline back in the socket behind he Humax, but used the very long cable – seemed OK.

Then I dared to look at the obvious, and reconnected the Humax to the powerline with another new 1M cable. And it seems to be OK.

Two lessons here:

(1) Start with the basics and work up;
    (2) New things can be faulty.

However, knowing my luck, it’ll all turn out to have been some kind of weird blip and it’ll be knackered again tomorrow.

I’ll let you know…

| Sun 29 Sep 2019 0:29:44 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 10 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » To ensure they have fixed IP address's both have IP addresses mapped to their MAC adresses in the router setup.

Ummm... do I need to use a fixed IP?

Only if you need to access the kit by a known non varying IP Address from say a PC browser or a android /iphone mobile device.

In my case a Foxsat-HDR, A LG Blu-ray Player, A HDR-FOX-T2, Yamaha AV receiver and a VBox DTV IP streaming box. The V-box allows Kodi to view and record live TV from virtually anywhere (by adding a usb Hard drive)

https://kodi.wiki/view/VBox_Home_TV_Gateway

| Sun 29 Sep 2019 11:29:15 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 11 hours ago  » 
    Next time I ask you a question like this, please say things like “Roger, are you sure the cable is good…?” To which, in this case, I would have answered “Well, it’s been in the cable drawer for like a decade, but it’s brand new, don’t be so silly.”
    However… here’s what I did. I found my LONG cable (it’s like 50 or 100 feet or something) and decided to be systematic, so connected it direct to the router, as it was long enough… seemed to work fine.
    So then I did as you suggested, and used it to connect the powerline thingy (now in a different room) to the Humax – seemed OK. Finally, I put the powerline back in the socket behind he Humax, but used the very long cable – seemed OK.
    Then I dared to look at the obvious, and reconnected the Humax to the powerline with another new 1M cable. And it seems to be OK.
    Two lessons here:
    (1) Start with the basics and work up;
    (2) New things can be faulty.
    However, knowing my luck, it’ll all turn out to have been some kind of weird blip and it’ll be knackered again tomorrow.
    I’ll let you know…

Guessing you have a broken wire. network cable requires each connection to be by a twisted pair. The rf radiated from one cable is eliminated by the current in the other cable in the pair.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279624#

| Sun 29 Sep 2019 11:36:46 #17 |
  8. Hogweed

Hogweed

Thanks Graham - yes, I used to know all that stuff when I worked for BT

I expect you're right...

| Sun 29 Sep 2019 12:13:33 #18 |
  9. Hogweed

Hogweed

Well, spoke too soon - turned out it was still up to its tricks after all. Don't know why it briefly appeared to be OK. So it's not a cable issue.

I contacted Humax by email, but for some reason their tech people kept sending me answers to unrelated questions, eg how to use 2 Humax boxes on the same telly

"You can change the frequency of the remote control to make the units work independently. Please note that Youview models cannot have their frequency changed."

WHen I respectfully asked them if they could answer the question I had actually asked, they got shirty then disappeared.

| Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:32:18 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Hogweed - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well, spoke too soon - turned out it was still up to its tricks after all. Don't know why it briefly appeared to be OK. So it's not a cable issue.

But have you eliminated the powerline adapters as a possible cause? They have certainly been responsible for several problems reported on this Forum. If you go back to the long cable from Humax to router does the problem go away? What make and model are the powerline adapters? Note there is nothing wrong in principle with powerline or homeplug adapters; I use them myself.

| Tue 15 Oct 2019 10:35:43 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.