My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000S Hard drive or Resistor

(46 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The component problem was said to be a resistor during someones conversation with Humax support. This was the only information obtained.
    No defective soldering is not known to be be a problem.
    My thoughs are it was a defective batches of a resistor as early and late batches of HDR-1000S do not have the problem, nor do later models.
    Normally the Humax will detect and install a new drive automatically.

If you connect the drive to a PC using it's SATA connection disk manager should see and identify the drive assuming it it not failed.

| Sun 6 Mar 2022 6:38:10 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

barrdav

Thank you for your prompt reply. The hard drive from the Humax was indeed discovered when we connected it to a PC and went into disk management, but due to the different filing system we were not able to see the video files.

Without further information when I get time I will have a good look at the PCB. Theres a lot that can be done. Power supply rails can be checked with a scope. With the power off the PCB can be examined for faulty passive components such as the resistor and for poor soldering. In particular the components and circuit of anything heading towards the SATA data connector can be checked. Sometimes in general microprocessor based electronics it is possible to see the "body diode" looking into a chip using the diode test function, and this may apply to the system on a chip micro, but we couldn't discern anything this way looking into the SATA port.

The STB lives at my friends house and I will get back to you when I have made time to have another look with proper equipment.

The way the fault developed is odd in that the access to the HDD became more uncertain over a period of time. This suggests to me the gradual degradation of something passive such as an electrolytic, a soldered joint, or a resistor. Degradation of soldered joints can sometimes be found by setting the unit running normally and then twisting the PCB.

Thanks again

Dave.

| Sun 6 Mar 2022 8:49:04 #42 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The gradual degradation was reported by most, occaisionly with brief recovery periods.

| Sun 6 Mar 2022 11:34:53 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

barrdav - 8 hours ago  » 
    The way the fault developed is odd in that the access to the HDD became more uncertain over a period of time. This suggests to me the gradual degradation of something passive such as an electrolytic, a soldered joint, or a resistor.

I agree with what you say. Some recent work over at hummy.tv investigating a problem with the HDR-FOX T2 resulted in someone with a lot of perseverance identifying a single faulty capacitor on the motherboard and subsequently a number of other people have confirmed that replacing the capacitor fixes the issue. It isn't easy but it can be done; good luck.

| Sun 6 Mar 2022 17:19:44 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

michael dranfie

Regarding the HDR1000S with the missing recordings I think you will find the resistor theory just a red herring to throw people off the scent, just Re flow the BGA processor under the heatsink and all your recordings will be restored .

| Fri 16 Jun 2023 13:00:10 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

michael dranfie - 1 hour ago  » 
    Regarding the HDR1000S with the missing recordings I think you will find the resistor theory just a red herring to throw people off the scent

Agreed that it isn't a resistor problem; how the theory originated is a matter of opinion.

just Re flow the BGA processor under the heatsink and all your recordings will be restored .

Agreed that is the only method that has any success.

| Fri 16 Jun 2023 14:03:23 #46 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.