My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000s Hardrive failure

(42 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimboWatson

BIG problem with my machine.
    started out that all recordings lost.
    could not rewind or pause or record live programmes.
    phoned Humax who told me that its out of warranty and its a hardrive fault. game over really.

opened the box to discover that its a Seagate Pipeline HD HDD.

cheap enough to buy at £50.
    the guy at Humax tech suport said that if i use another HDD it needs to be formated using FAT32.
    managed to do this on my computer (win7 can only do it by DOS prompt)

that took over 12 hours but was successful.

put it back in my digi box and it doesnt work. go to settings menu and install a pen drive. formatted it and still cant record stuff onto that. tried it on an external usb HDD and still no joy.

the box is only 18 months old and i am not impressed if i have to buy a new box.

any help would be appreciated as I am getting my ear chewed off as she has missed 3 episodes of corrie!

thanks in advance.

James

| Tue 23 Jun 2015 17:53:18 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not sure why Humax told you to format it FAT32. Windows natively can only support 32GB partitions so you will likely have partitioned the disk. Had you just installed the disk as is the box would have formatted and partitioned it for you. FAT32 is useless for a pvr drive as files cannot be larger than 4GB. The box is Linux based and uses a EXT3 file system with the recordings partition LUKS encrypted.

I would return the disk to your PC use drive management to delete all partions, create a single partition and format it NTFS. Hopefully the HDR will now recognise it and set it up for you.

You can only record on the internal drive using a HDR1000/1010S.

| Tue 23 Jun 2015 18:11:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimboWatson

Thanks Grahamlthompson.

So if I use drive management rather than right clicking on the HDD and choosing quick format, this should work?

also, rather than me having to buy a new pipeline HD drive, will most drives work?

(looked at seagates website and they say that the pipeline HD drive is mostly for PVR devices)

not bothered about the 1TB size as in 18 months we have only ever used up to 13%

| Tue 23 Jun 2015 18:48:04 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jimboWatson - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Grahamlthompson.
    So if I use drive management rather than right clicking on the HDD and choosing quick format, this should work?
    also, rather than me having to buy a new pipeline HD drive, will most drives work?
    (looked at seagates website and they say that the pipeline HD drive is mostly for PVR devices)
    not bothered about the 1TB size as in 18 months we have only ever used up to 13%

When you use drive management look at the drive to see if it has been partitioned, if so delete them all and create one primary partition for the whole drive. You may not even need to format it. The box works with a brand new drive out of the box.

It only takes a few minutes to initialise a new drive.

It will work with any drive but not reliably, pvrs require low power drives designed for 24/7 reliability.

Personally I prefer Western Digital AV-GP designs - I have a 2TB in my HDR-1000s

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/av/

| Tue 23 Jun 2015 19:19:04 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You need to use disk management from the admin tools in windows, delete all partitions before you install the disk.

| Tue 23 Jun 2015 20:45:21 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimboWatson

ok,

so none of the above instructions work.

i have a 320GB seagate, standard HDD and i also have a WD 1TB standard HDD.

i have even used the original HDD that is apparently faulty.

using disk management on my PC I have deleted any partitions and got it to allocate the HDD as a single formatted image.

when I put any of these drives in to the box, it simply ignores it (it spins up no problem)
    if i go to settings and storage, it just says that if i was to put a USB drive in, i can watch movies, listen to music or watch images.
    it also says that i can record and pause live TV. (assuming it means that it will buffer to the external USB drive)

this is the same message I get if i remove the HDD from the box and power it up. so its like it is not even registering that there is an internal HDD.

| Tue 23 Jun 2015 23:35:22 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You need to delete the partitions so the drive does NOT have any at all. It should not be formatted as anything.

"using disk management on my PC I have deleted any partitions and got it to allocate the HDD as a single formatted image" Allocating a new single partition and formatting it is where you are going wrong.

On the original drive the loss of buffer functions indicates a faulty buffer - usually a disk format via the system menu can restore this.

| Wed 24 Jun 2015 5:13:26 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimboWatson

Ok, on disk management if i right click each partition and select delete volume on all the partitions. thats then done.

Then the whole drive becomes unallocated.

I have then tried 2 things:

1 removing the drive and then installing it in the digibox
    2 format the drive (By default it give it a new volume)

neither of these procedures work in the digibox.

REPASSAC, you also mention

"On the original drive the loss of buffer functions indicates a faulty buffer - usually a disk format via the system menu can restore this."

there is no option within system settings to format the internal drive.

this option only appears if you plug in a usb drive (which i have done many times but doesnt actually do anything once external USB drive has completed the format)

sorry about the lengthy replies here but I have tried all of what you guys are suggesting without a solution.

| Wed 24 Jun 2015 8:41:45 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Can I confirm what model you have?

It sounds as if the unit is not detecting the drive at all.
    Check the drive connectors (Power/SATA) are properly connected (at both ends).

Assuming the drive is NOT recording ...
    What you should see is Settings > System Settings > Storage
    This should show you the hard disk drive - selected it and at the foot of the page you get a cleanup and format options.

Hopefully you have a poor connection rather that a failed controller on the mother board would not be good news.

| Wed 24 Jun 2015 12:11:59 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimboWatson

Ok,

I have HUMAX HDR-1000S FREESAT 1TB HD PVR FREE TIME EPG DIGITAL RECORDER + WIFI DONGLE.

It really does look like its not detecting the drive.
    i have checked the combination power and sata connections and seem to be ok. nothing loose. the drive does spin up and you can hear clicking (as if its being read, not faulty)
    and the menu in settings still does not have cleanup and format options. (IE, it isnt detecting an internal HDD)

| Wed 24 Jun 2015 12:16:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.