My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000s Keeps rebooting.

(343 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

TechStig - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry Graham, didn't mean "trick" in any disparaging kind of a way! I agree that disconnecting should form part of the diagnostic process. I also think these questions need answering:
    1. Has anyone who is (permanently) disconnected from the internet had a reboot?
    2. Is there anyone who has stayed connected who has not had a reboot?
    3. For those still connected who are suffering - are reboots happening to everyone at exactly the same time.
    I'm guessing the presumption has been that they must be - but it would be good to have confirmation by way of accurate time reports from reboot sufferers. Sadly, I wasn't watching the TV at the time the reboot started this morning so can't given an accurate time. I'll try and log reboots as and when I spot them - but I fully expect that a number have occurred without me being aware.
    Regards
    Simon

Permanently connected, no recent re-boots. Not noticed any common times either, even when they were pretty frequent.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 19:01:32 #211 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Box not connected and many reboots over the last few months, a couple over the last week or so. Luckily mine carries on recording so they aren't too annoying.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 21:14:08 #212 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mutant_matt

1. Zero reboots in about a month or two since disconnecting, vs several seemingly random reboots per day when it started happening in approx September.

2. There seem to be a fair few people who on here reported it was happening, and now it's not.

3. It's impossible to say, as there is no good way of detecting when a reboot happened, except by working out when a recording failed, after the event, or if it happens to you whilst using it (both happened to me previously). It happened to me whilst watching a recording and it wasn't recording something else, it happened when it wasn't recording and I was watching catchup, it also happened when watching live tv (though technically, it's always recording *something*, the channel selected in the EPG). Judging by the high number of failed recordings, it was happening a lot, at all times of day and night.

FWIW, I've done an intensive port scan on the box and that didn't upset it at all, but I did notice it's listening on port 53, which is DNS, which is odd because, behind a NAT firewall (which is what most consumer routers are in this context), inbound packets would never make it to the box, they would stop at the WAN interface of the router (unless it also uses upnp to open up a hole in the firewall (not a good idea!). You wouldn't usually expect it to be able to accept inbound DNS packets to the box, so I wonder why it's listening on that port at all!

Is there anybody on here who has upnp turned on on their router, and if you do a port scan on your WAN/external IP/Internet connection on port 53, what does it report the state of the port as?

(go here: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 and put 53 in the box and click on "user specified custom port probe").

Graham, you know what you're doing, you won't have uPnp turned on on your router, right!!?? Can you confirm, as if you don't have port 53 forwarding through to your box from outside, as you said you're not having any problems, we can rule that one out (not that I can figure out what it would be used for anyway!).

I've got some other tests running, I'll report back after a few days, when/if they come to anything.

Cheers,

Matt.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 21:23:11 #213 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tafwys

I've had no further problems with my 1100S since my last post on 10th OCT! Everything is working perfectly.

All devices connected to my router, an Asus RT-AC68U, have been allocated static IP addresses at the router. This applies to wired and wi-fi devices. Also I've scheduled the router to reboot once a week at some unearthly hour of the morning.
    All devices are left on standby 24/7, with the patch cables connected.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 22:03:12 #214 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi Matt, I can't check till Monday as going away for the weekend tomorrow morning. From memory only use the V-Box ports 55555 and 80 for external access using port forwarding for the V-Box reserved IP address .

See Section 3.2

http://www.vboxcomm.com/images/pdfs/VBox_TV_Gateway-How_To_Connect_from_outside_your_home_1.0.pdf

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 22:37:33 #215 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Just rebooted 2 minutes ago

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 22:42:59 #216 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TechStig

Thanks for all your responses. It's certainly raised more questions.

People would appear to be suffering from reboots whether connected or disconnected from the internet. This suggests to me that internet connection might be a red-herring - please note, I'm only saying might be. That being the case, I'm thinking that some rogue freesat/freetime signal must be the culprit - but then why is Graham not suffering? Of course - there could always be more than one problem!

Does anyone know if there's a log buried in the guts of an HD-1100s that can be interrogated to at least find out when reboots have happened?

Simon

| Fri 2 Dec 2016 11:50:36 #217 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mutant_matt

It's running Linux inside, so there will almost certainly be logging going on (though it probably isn't persistent), getting to it would be the tricky bit.

The FoxsatHD is fully opened up, but I am not aware of anything like that for this series of box, sadly...

To be clear, I do get the very occasional hang/slowness of the box, connected to the 'net or otherwise, but it's always done that, and a power cycle has always fully fixed that (sometimes just leaving it alone for a bit also solves the problem).

I believe at least in my case, it's definitely something do to with the comms with Freesat, as it was bad (connected), and now perfect (not connected).

Once I've proved a few more days it's still perfect connected to the network, but not the internet, I'll let it connect to the internet again (but not use any network features), and see what happens. If that works ok (which I hope it will but suspect it won't), I'll then start using catchup in anger again and see what happens.

Cheers,

Matt.

| Fri 2 Dec 2016 11:58:32 #218 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My HDR1000S rebooted at 09:35 today while I was typing a post on this forum On BBC1-HD not recording at the time.

It's been on all day from about 0900-2300 all week so guess it's first reboot this week.

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 10:52:52 #219 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mutant_matt

Sorry to hear that Graham! Did you manage to check if you have uPnP disabled in your router(s) or not? (IIRC, you effectively have two upstream of your HDR1000S).

Cheers,

Matt.

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 11:00:10 #220 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.