My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000s Keeps rebooting.

(343 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mutant_matt - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sorry to hear that Graham! Did you manage to check if you have uPnP disabled in your router(s) or not? (IIRC, you effectively have two upstream of your HDR1000S).
    Cheers,
    Matt.

Hi Matt completely forget about it. Will login to router and check. It wasn't a problem as not really watching the TV at the time.

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 12:39:46 #221 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uPnP not enabled.

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 13:04:27 #222 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

TechStig

Hi Matt,

I'm intrigued.I have uPnP running on my synology hard drive used to feed music to a Marantz music server. The hard drive is hard wired via router to the music server. My HDR 1100s is also hard wired to the router. In what way do you think uPnP can be an issue?

I have seen Graham's reply saying that he doesn't have uPnP - that of course doesn't rule uPnP out as a cause of some problems.

As said, I'm intrigued, any enlightenment would be very welcome.

All the best

Simon

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 13:15:00 #223 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mutant_matt

Cheers for that Graham.

Simon, it was just covering off a very long shot. UPnP is used for various things, one of which, it can be used for "punching" holes in your firewall. Usually, most routers have this option turned on by default, and I always disable it. What it is designed for, is so that devices inside your network, for example, an Xbox, for the internet based services it uses to work (online gaming etc.), needs to be able to accept incoming connections from the internet. By default, your router (the Firewall part of it) will decline all incoming connections from the Internet to protect you. Using UPnP to do this is bad design, because, any device inside your network, can automatically connect outbound to the internet, usually, unless you expressly opt to disable that ability. The reason this is popular, is because it's convenient and means the user doesn't have to do any networking setup to enable things like Xbox/PS4 networking to work out of the box. Unfortunately, convenience is usually at the expense of security. If they designed the service better, they wouldn't need to initiate inbound connections to each unit anyway!

I would never allow devices inside my network to randomly, and without my control or knowledge, open up random inbound ports on my Firewall! (after all, who knows what some programmer somewhere, might chose to do if he has UPnP available to him (the recent malware problems with IoT devices highlights this problem nicely)).

Anyway, as the HDR is listening on port 53 (usually used for DNS), I was wondering if it used UPnP to enable for some weird reason, that I cannot think of, it to receive inbound DNS packets from the Internet. As my unit ran for a couple of years with this effectively disabled, without any obvious problems, I was wondering if this might be part of the problem now. However, Graham has (mostly had a working box (until this morning)), and as he also has UPnP not enabled, so it can't be that.

It was always a long shot, but worth ruling out (which I think I have now done).

Sorry for the long post, but you did ask!

Cheers,

Matt.

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 13:40:46 #224 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

TechStig

Hi Matt,

I don't mind long explanations - that was all very interesting. The more we rule out the closer we must get to an answer! Sadly, I wasn't watching TV at the time Graham had his reboot - so I can't say whether my box was affected as well - that's still something I'd be interested to know. But I don't know how we're going to easily establish if reboots hit multiple people at the same time given the timings "seem" so random. We'd a number of us watching TV at the same time to report a reeboot. Are there simply enough people on the forum interested in this issue?

Cheers
    Simon

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 14:05:11 #225 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There appears to be two types of reboots.

1 The box shuts down and restarts and ongoing recordings aren't affected
    2 As above but ongoing recordings are truncated.

I have experienced both in the past but because there was no recording at the time not sure which type. Had I been a bit cleverer, in hindsight, I should have checked the time shift buffer to see if it reset at the time of the problem.

On weekdays my box is usually booted from around 9am to 11pm. Box is also recording for pretty well all the afternoon and evening so if 2 happens (out Tuesday and Thursday evenings to play Badminton) I will have an indication from part completed recordings.

So provided I am in front of the TV as this morning I will see the reboot. No repeat today (so far )

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 14:38:00 #226 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Nighthawk4

Hello. New here.
    I had been on Sky for 18 years apparently, when I realised that I watched only a very small number of channels, most of which are on Freesat as well. Therefore I have now cancelled my Sky subscription - currently in my "Sky continually trying to get me to change my mind" month. No chance of that

So I have been using a Humax HDR-1100S for about 2 weeks. It is brilliant most of the time. It has most of the channels I used from Sky, plus Netflix, which is the one channel missing from my Samsung Smart TV, so very happy with that.

The only problem is that every day or so, it suddenly shuts down. I am fairly sure I have disabled the Eco-settings, the TV is still on so it is not the CEC thing where switching off one box switches off the other.

Last night it switched off during a programe which I was watching and recording. I managed to switch it on again fairly quickly, but the recording did not resume, so I only had half of the programme. This was on BBC 1.

I did wonder if it might be an issue with either the HDMI connection or the pass-through that goes through my Provision HD Sender box. I was watching on the main TV, which is fed through the sender box, which then passes that signal upstairs to the receiver box on the other TV. I would assume that if it had been the sender box that failed, the recording would not have been interrupted. Unfortunately, it was aborted, so it must have been the Humax box that shut down.

This shutdown problem does not seem to be related to any particular channel, happens whichever TV I am watching and also can happen while I am watching a recording or an On Demand Channel like iPlayer or Netflix.

Not sure if this is the same issue as the one being described on this thread, as it does not seem to reboot - unless I press the power button on the remote before it has a chance to restart itself.

Better than the Sky box which was requiring a power off or recordings re-index every few days, but still annoying. Does tarnish the experience of the Freesat system a little but I still love the overall system.

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 11:03:48 #227 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Nighthawk4 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Hello. New here.
    I had been on Sky for 18 years apparently, when I realised that I watched only a very small number of channels, most of which are on Freesat as well. Therefore I have now cancelled my Sky subscription - currently in my "Sky continually trying to get me to change my mind" month. No chance of that
    So I have been using a Humax HDR-1100S for about 2 weeks. It is brilliant most of the time. It has most of the channels I used from Sky, plus Netflix, which is the one channel missing from my Samsung Smart TV, so very happy with that.
    The only problem is that every day or so, it suddenly shuts down. I am fairly sure I have disabled the Eco-settings, the TV is still on so it is not the CEC thing where switching off one box switches off the other.
    Last night it switched off during a programe which I was watching and recording. I managed to switch it on again fairly quickly, but the recording did not resume, so I only had half of the programme. This was on BBC 1.
    I did wonder if it might be an issue with either the HDMI connection or the pass-through that goes through my Provision HD Sender box. I was watching on the main TV, which is fed through the sender box, which then passes that signal upstairs to the receiver box on the other TV. I would assume that if it had been the sender box that failed, the recording would not have been interrupted. Unfortunately, it was aborted, so it must have been the Humax box that shut down.
    This shutdown problem does not seem to be related to any particular channel, happens whichever TV I am watching and also can happen while I am watching a recording or an On Demand Channel like iPlayer or Netflix.
    Not sure if this is the same issue as the one being described on this thread, as it does not seem to reboot - unless I press the power button on the remote before it has a chance to restart itself.
    Better than the Sky box which was requiring a power off or recordings re-index every few days, but still annoying. Does tarnish the experience of the Freesat system a little but I still love the overall system.

Welcome to our forum. I have in the past experienced 3 issues.

Box reboots losing video for a short period ongoing recordings not affected.

Box reboots losing video for a short period ongoing recordings terminated.

Box shuts down requiring manual restart, ongoing recordings terminated.

Mine has settled down with no incidents since my post above (9th Dec).

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 11:18:01 #228 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Nighthawk4

Thankyou - will see what happens.

Do I need to power the box off and on again every so often?

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 11:35:10 #229 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Nighthawk4 - 1 minute ago  » 
    Thankyou - will see what happens.
    Do I need to power the box off and on again every so often?

Only time I have removed the box power is on the very rare occasion it has locked up with no remote control and only the power button on the unit working. Note on restoration of power the box will wake up for a short period to reset the clock and go back into sby.

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 11:40:05 #230 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.