My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000s Keeps rebooting.

(343 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Peter

Hope I'm not tempting fate, but my HDR1000 hasn't rebooted for weeks. I don't power it down every night and it is connected to my router all the time. It does however have a reserved IP address on my router, so Graham might have hit on a possible solution to the problem.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 10:31:26 #201 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

herisson

I too have all those and still re-booting.
    After all this time I can only assume that neither Freesat or Humax could care less about this problem, after all, they created it.

I guarantee they'll make sure the next box doesn't have the same problem and will be eager to suggest an upgrade as the solution.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 10:40:01 #202 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mutant_matt

@Graham: I don't really think that is relevant to be honest. I don't have the average "consumer" network at home though, being an IT geek When it is connected to the Gigabit switch in my lounge cabinet (which is connected upstream to a "Prosumer" managed Gigabit switch), the Freesat box has a static IP address, and the default gateway happens to be a decent Asus AC router which isn't doing anything special, it just passes the packets through the (NAT) Firewall to the upstream Router/Modem via the DMZ. That also just passes the packets to Freesat.

When I last put a packet sniffer in the chain, I could see that all the data to/from Freesat was just plain old unencrypted HTTP (and in many cases, plan old HTML over HTTP for the actual catch-up service data). Nothing special, and nothing I would expect the router to be able to get wrong or influence the behaviour. The only time I think the router *might* be relevant is if/when you are using Wireless (which can be hit and miss with many routers) and at an outside push, occasionally, DHCP *can* cause odd problems, but it's pretty rare!

You did ask/suggest (but seriously, all suggestions/checking of stuff is never a waste of time, when it comes to these types of strange technical problems! )

@Peter: I'm afraid having a static IP, as above, didn't help (in fact, it was never on DHCP, always on a static IP). Sorry.

Cheers,

Matt.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 10:40:40 #203 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mutant_matt - 9 minutes ago  » 
    @Graham: I don't really think that is relevant to be honest. I don't have the average "consumer" network at home though, being an IT geek When it is connected to the Gigabit switch in my lounge cabinet (which is connected upstream to a "Prosumer" managed Gigabit switch), the Freesat box has a static IP address, and the default gateway happens to be a decent Asus AC router which isn't doing anything special, it just passes the packets through the (NAT) Firewall to the upstream Router/Modem via the DMZ. That also just passes the packets to Freesat.
    When I last put a packet sniffer in the chain, I could see that all the data to/from Freesat was just plain old unencrypted HTTP (and in many cases, plan old HTML over HTTP for the actual catch-up service data). Nothing special, and nothing I would expect the router to be able to get wrong or influence the behaviour. The only time I think the router *might* be relevant is if/when you are using Wireless (which can be hit and miss with many routers) and at an outside push, occasionally, DHCP *can* cause odd problems, but it's pretty rare!
    You did ask/suggest (but seriously, all suggestions/checking of stuff is never a waste of time, when it comes to these types of strange technical problems! )
    @Peter: I'm afraid having a static IP, as above, didn't help (in fact, it was never on DHCP, always on a static IP). Sorry.
    Cheers,
    Matt.

Mine connects to a network switch (10/100) which is wired to the network switch on a Asus 1900AC Dual Band router which is used for WiFi for my Virgin Superhub 2 (Modem mode). The WiFi performance is way superior to the Virgin built in capability.

The Network switch services a lot of kit.

Humax HDR1000S, Foxsat-HDR, 2 Humax HDR-FOX-T2's, Amazon Fire TV Box, LG Smart Bluray player, Panasonic Smart TV and Yamaha AV receiver.

Also connected to the Asus is a twin tuner VBOX Freeview-HD IP server with usb recording, that the LG Blu-ray player (and my laptop, tablet and phone) can connect to.

All have reserved addresses, you don't want the Foxsat-HDR and the two HDR-FOX-t2's to change IP address as they all have the Custom Firmware web interface installed, nor the VBOX which can be viewed externally (recordings and live TV).

Like most I did suffer multiple reboots when the problem first arose, touch wood it appears not now to be happening though I did get a couple of part recorded recordings about 2 weeks ago (most likely a reboot while recording). As we all have the same software it would seem that the bug (if there is one) must be down to some local differences. Finding out what these might be is not going to be easy

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 11:04:35 #204 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mutant_matt

LOL Graham, your setup sounds very similar to mine (I left out most of the detail, but I have a shed load of devices connected to both the lounge switch and also the main switch, like you, my Asus AC does wireless for the house (many, many devices), the switch does all the intra-house duties directly to various other switches in other parts of the house, I'm only using the wired switch on the Asus router for the LAN <-> WAN connection to my ISP's ADSL Modem/switch/router).

So, to see what happens, I have put the HDR1000S back on the network, with it's usual static IP, but I have denied it access to the internet (via the ASUS Firewall). It says it's connected to the internet (it's not) via ethernet (it is) from the connection page. I am working from home today, tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday and can hear the TV from my study so I've got the "radio" on and will leave it on all day every day whilst I'm working (to spot any reboots), and we'll see what happens. If it doesn't reboot, it's likely a Freesat/Humax problem as I suspect, but if it does, then indeed, it could be reacting to something locally.

Annoyingly, it doesn't have any proxy server settings in the box, so I can't push it through my main/usual privoxy proxy at home (so I could tail (watch) the logs), I may resort to firing up a transparent proxy in a VM again, and point it at that as it's default gateway. My idea is, if it's connected to the internet, via a proxy I can have logging on, but I don't use it for any catchup content at all, and *if* it still reboots, I might be able to see what happened at the time it rebooted. It might help point to where the problem is.

I'm also doing a constant ping to one of the addresses the box connects to at Freesat (83.222.237.181), to see if that is reliable/has any significant drop outs at any time.

We'll see how it goes.

Cheers,

Matt.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 11:26:43 #205 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Good Luck Matt

Graham

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 11:49:39 #206 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TechStig

Hi all, I'm new to the forum - but I have been watching this topic since I started getting reboot issues on my 1100s a few months back. Just wanted to say that I am still getting reboots. Latest was this morning around 8:00 during BBC News. If location is at all relevant I'm in North Shropshire. I haven't tried the disconnect trick yet. Nothing helpful to say I'm afraid - just wanted to make sure that people know it's still happening reasonably frequently and not to just one or two people.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 12:08:58 #207 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

TechStig - 49 minutes ago  » 
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum - but I have been watching this topic since I started getting reboot issues on my 1100s a few months back. Just wanted to say that I am still getting reboots. Latest was this morning around 8:00 during BBC News. If location is at all relevant I'm in North Shropshire. I haven't tried the disconnect trick yet. Nothing helpful to say I'm afraid - just wanted to make sure that people know it's still happening reasonably frequently and not to just one or two people.

It's not a trick, it's just to find out if the problem is related to the internet connection. If it goes away without the internet connected it must be in some way down to the Freesat servers that give you the on demand content.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 13:00:29 #208 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

TechStig

Sorry Graham, didn't mean "trick" in any disparaging kind of a way! I agree that disconnecting should form part of the diagnostic process. I also think these questions need answering:

1. Has anyone who is (permanently) disconnected from the internet had a reboot?

2. Is there anyone who has stayed connected who has not had a reboot?

3. For those still connected who are suffering - are reboots happening to everyone at exactly the same time.

I'm guessing the presumption has been that they must be - but it would be good to have confirmation by way of accurate time reports from reboot sufferers. Sadly, I wasn't watching the TV at the time the reboot started this morning so can't given an accurate time. I'll try and log reboots as and when I spot them - but I fully expect that a number have occurred without me being aware.

Regards
    Simon

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 18:27:29 #209 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

mutant_matt - 7 hours ago  » 
    I might be able to see what happened at the time it rebooted. It might help point to where the problem is.

Not too sure how relevant this is, but it's dead easy to get my HdrFoxT2 to fall over whenever I want by doing an intensive port scan (zenmap) against it.
    You seem ideally placed Matt to test this against your hdr1000s if you haven't already or if it hasn't already been ruled out (I've not read all 21 pages properly).

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 18:48:58 #210 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.