(343 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Reffub - 3 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Reffub - 57 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 10 hours ago  » 
    My 1000s has rebooted this evening for the first time in months. It happened at 20:30 with two simultaneous recordings just starting whilst we were watching something already recorded. I had to action a manual restart but the recordings appear to be okay.

"action a manual restart" ? I presume you mean you had to go to recordings and press play not restart the box.
    Anyway you can't join the club with just the one reboot in months, you'll need a few more or at least a """"truncated"""" recording.

No, I mean the box shut down and did not reboot itself. I had to press the 'on' button on the remote.

So it wasn't actually a reboot then.

Ever heard the saying - nobody likes a smart arse?

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 17:29:56 #281 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Despite your smart technical jargon for pressing an on button you still can't join the reboot club, there are certain criteria that need to be met and one shutdown isn't sufficient.

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 17:41:58 #282 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Well glad I am not a member of the club.
    Perhaps a event helped by local environmental issues?

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 21:07:49 #283 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 6 hours ago  » 
    Despite your smart technical jargon for pressing an on button you still can't join the reboot club, there are certain criteria that need to be met and one shutdown isn't sufficient.

Pretty stupid club, how do you expect to identify what might be causing the issue if you preclude the observations of those that may only be infrequently affected ? Basically we all have the same software and very similar hardware.

Can only be some local variants or perhaps some minor variations in hardware installed in some boxes.

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 0:24:05 #284 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Nighthawk4

If we are assuming the problem is with the firmware I am puzzled as to why it does not affect everyone with one of these devices.

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 9:31:46 #285 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Nighthawk4 - 10 minutes ago  » 
    If we are assuming the problem is with the firmware I am puzzled as to why it does not affect everyone with one of these devices.

Could be slight differences in components. Manufacturers tend to source components where they can get the best deal or who can supply at the time.

If you take the iPhone as an example. You might assume the parts would be generic and presumably identical. However, that is not the case. Apple sources the same components from various suppliers and tests in the past has shown slight differences in performance.

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 9:46:42 #286 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Nighthawk4

A fair point Faust

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 10:27:19 #287 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » 

Reffub - 6 hours ago  » 

Pretty stupid club, how do you expect to identify what might be causing the issue if you preclude the observations of those that may only be infrequently affected ? Basically we all have the same software and very similar hardware.
    Can only be some local variants or perhaps some minor variations in hardware installed in some boxes.

Well as it's not a real club and I'm certainly not precluding anyone, in fact all are welcome, plenty of complimentary gold pens left. If anything we have established that Faust is a member of the more exclusive Shutdown (only) club.

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 10:55:59 #288 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Could be slight differences in components. Manufacturers tend to source components where they can get the best deal or who can supply at the time.
    If you take the iPhone as an example. You might assume the parts would be generic and presumably identical. However, that is not the case. Apple sources the same components from various suppliers and tests in the past has shown slight differences in performance.

Regarding hardware.......

As far as I know GLT, REPASSAC and I have early 1000s boxes bought just after launch and all 3 have the same WD 2Tb HDD installed. GLT seems to have experienced every variation on the current problem, I just get the odd reboot and REPASSAC box is unaffected.

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 10:57:40 #289 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 16 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Regarding hardware.......
    As far as I know GLT, REPASSAC and I have early 1000s boxes bought just after launch and all 3 have the same WD 2Tb HDD installed. GLT seems to have experienced every variation on the current problem, I just get the odd reboot and REPASSAC box is unaffected.

Faust's observation is interesting, regarding the shut down I described in 277 (The series file deletion may just have been a red herring).

At the time I did not expect any recording to be active, but as described below a recording had in fact started at 22:00, adding credence to Faust's observation.

The Halcyon Episode 2 was set to record from 21:00 on ITV-HD and should have been recorded by the time the box shut down at 22:10. No recording was scheduled for 22:00. After restarting the box, found a curtailed recording of The Halcyon on ITV+1 which started at 22:00. No sign of a series recording on either channel. I have re-entered the Halcyon for next Monday (and backed it up with the same on a HDR-FOX-T2). Watch this space

You are correct about the box and drive certainly for REPASSAC and I. He fitted the 2TB drive shortly before I did (He was braver than I was ).

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 11:24:49 #290 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.