My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1100S - missing channels

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bass Culture

Dear all,
    As a newcomer to the Forum I'm aware that this problem is hardly likely to be unique to me and could possibly have been raised and answered before - if so, my apologies for the duplication.

Following the cancellation of our Sky service back in April we picked up a HDR1100S from Richer Sounds, which we connected to the existing Sky dish. After the initial 500GB version locking up following a software update RS changed it for the 1TB version. We updated the software again (to access Netflix) and realised it took a few hours to fully install rather than the promised 20 minutes; even so, Netflix was present in the 'On Demand' menu so all good.

However, we then realised we had several channels missing - no HD versions of BBC 1 & 2, for example, no SD definition versions of ITV1 and quite a few others missing, as well as a number of radio stations. I checked 'Settings' and the it showed 'Good' for both Signal Strength and Quality. Thinking this must mean the box was at fault we took it back to RS, who thought it sounded a bit fishy themselves and changed it again. Plugged the new box in, which already the very latest software pre-loaded: same problem, same missing channels. I phoned up Humax who told me we needed our dish realigning/adjusting. When I said that there'd been no such issues with our Sky box and the box itself showed good strength and quality they started talking about the box simply being a transponder (I think, at which point I glazed over) and repeated that we needed the dish adjusting. So, a couple of questions for you good people, if you can help:

1) Do we need to get an Aerial Engineer out?
    2) How come the box can recognise a good quality and strength signal yet still not be able to decode all available channels if all the information is there?
    3) Is there anything specific we should tell or mention to the aerial guy when we book him in?

Any advice much appreciated - thanks.

BC

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 9:15:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The transponder is in the satellite, not in your Humax box. Looks like your dish is slightly out of alignment with respect to the transponder that transmits the Freesat EPG.

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 9:55:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bass Culture

Ah, so it sounds like it really is a job for 'Satellite Repair Man' then.

Many thanks,

BC

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 10:11:05 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum.

I take it you have a epg entry for BBC 2 HD at 102 in your epg. Can you select the current programme. I take it you have no picture.

Press Settings - System Info - Signal Info. You should see signal strength for Tuner 1, Tuner 2 and a message at the bottom of the screen. Can you post what these say.

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 10:20:01 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bass Culture

grahamlthompson - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Hi welcome to our forum.
    I take it you have a epg entry for BBC 2 HD at 102 in your epg. Can you select the current programme. I take it you have no picture.
    Press Settings - System Info - Signal Info. You should see signal strength for Tuner 1, Tuner 2 and a message at the bottom of the screen. Can you post what these say.

Yes indeed - all channels are listed on the EPG and the Signal Info in the Settings menu shows good strength and quality for both receivers. However, when trying to tune to - for example - BBC 2 HD, the screen goes black and a message says (not verbatim) 'your satellite dish is not receiving a signal' or something along those lines. I'm no technophile, I admit, but I just can't get my head round a box that receives a good, strong signal, not having enough information to decode all channels. I mean, it seems reasonable to infer from these factors being referenced on the unit itself that they are the only ones involved in the box's ability to do its job. Otherwise why show them or, at least, why not also reference other factors that might have a bearing? Why would a Sky box work but a Humax one not if they're both receiving the same signal? I don't get it. The 'customer service' (I use the term loosely) bod at Humax suggested the dish must have moved but it's been up there for 13 years without a problem so it's pretty coincidental if it has in the last two months!

One aerial company I spoke to suggested Richer Sounds might have their own TV aerial/installation engineer available who should come out but they've not volunteered that information when I've contacted them if so and have simply offered to change the box instead.

At the moment I simply don't know how to fix this issue or whether the fix that Humax have suggested (and I have to say I found them to be patronising and unsupportive) will garner results. I've spoken to one aerial company so far and he didn't sound exactly convinced himself. I'm at a loss really.

Cheers,

BC

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 11:10:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bass Culture

Oh, and thank you for your welcome - much appreciated.

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 11:10:57 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bass Culture - 47 minutes ago  » 

Hi welcome to our forum.

Yes indeed - all channels are listed on the EPG and the Signal Info in the Settings menu shows good strength and quality for both receivers. However, when trying to tune to - for example - BBC 2 HD, the screen goes black and a message says (not verbatim) 'your satellite dish is not receiving a signal' or something along those lines. I'm no technophile, I admit, but I just can't get my head round a box that receives a good, strong signal, not having enough information to decode all channels. I mean, it seems reasonable to infer from these factors being referenced on the unit itself that they are the only ones involved in the box's ability to do its job. Otherwise why show them or, at least, why not also reference other factors that might have a bearing? Why would a Sky box work but a Humax one not if they're both receiving the same signal? I don't get it. The 'customer service' (I use the term loosely) bod at Humax suggested the dish must have moved but it's been up there for 13 years without a problem so it's pretty coincidental if it has in the last two months!
    One aerial company I spoke to suggested Richer Sounds might have their own TV aerial/installation engineer available who should come out but they've not volunteered that information when I've contacted them if so and have simply offered to change the box instead.
    At the moment I simply don't know how to fix this issue or whether the fix that Humax have suggested (and I have to say I found them to be patronising and unsupportive) will garner results. I've spoken to one aerial company so far and he didn't sound exactly convinced himself. I'm at a loss really.
    Cheers,
    BC

A bit confused, did you check the signal when tuned to BBC2-HD and it said both tuners had a good signal.

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 11:59:02 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bass Culture

grahamlthompson - 6 minutes ago  » 

Hi welcome to our forum.

Cheers,
    BC

A bit confused, did you check the signal when tuned to BBC2-HD and it said both tuners had a good signal.

Short answer: yes. I tuned to BBC2 HD, received the error message, then checked the System Settings for signal strength and quality, both which showed as 'good' for each tuner. At which point I became flummoxed and have stayed that way since...

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 12:07:27 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bass Culture - 9 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 6 minutes ago  » 

Hi welcome to our forum.

Cheers,
    BC

Short answer: yes. I tuned to BBC2 HD, received the error message, then checked the System Settings for signal strength and quality, both which showed as 'good' for each tuner. At which point I became flummoxed and have stayed that way since...

That makes two of us. Very long shot try a freesat re-tune using a different postcode from the same area just in case it's a weird postcode database issue. Make a note of your recording schedule first. You could try my B98 postcode if you want West Midlands local channels.

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 12:20:04 #9 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I'll add my welcome to our Forum

As Graham has stated this is a weird one.

If you want to post (or PM if you are concerned about posting) the first part of your post code then I'll retune a unit to check this out.

| Wed 8 Jun 2016 12:27:21 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.