My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR-2000t COM7 MUX problem

(297 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Scott McC

mrbazzerman - 3 hours ago  » 
    Finally!! I thought I was going mad! I am having the same problem.
    I am living in the RG17 postal area and my box points to the Hannington transmitter. I have a DTR - 2000T box and the same night that "Spike TV" went live I lost all my com 7 channels. I don't have the option to manually scan with my box so having tried doing it automatically I have had no luck.

Hi

You're not going mad but this problem is certainly driving me that way quite quickly. For what it's worth the problem first appeared on my box a day or two before Spike TV went live. Not sure if the appearance of a new channel and this problem are related but it's a good observation.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 13:16:22 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Scott McC

Scott McC - 20 hours ago  » 
    Hi All
    I spoke to Humax on 0344 318 8800 and discussed the problem.
    It was recommned I manually scan the following channels:
    SD: 41, 42, 44, 45, 47
    HD: 39, 32
    These are all Hannington centric channels. I explained that I had already done so and that all was well until I got to channel 32 which the Humax "sees" as having o% signal and quality.
    After a lengthy pause, the Humax rep then recommended I perform another manual scan but this time using the following:
    SD: 24, 27, 41, 44, 47
    HD: 21
    I will try this evening but I don't hold out much hope. I tried a manual scan last Friday on every channel (using DVB-T2) between ~ 20 and 60 and only found a signal on Channel 39 which as you all know covers around a half of the available HD Freeview broadcasts.
    As to why the TV can pick up the COM7 MUX but the Humax currently cannot, the rep referred to the Humax requiring a different "depth of tuning". I haven't invetigated whether that phrase means a great deal but perhaps soemone else can shed some light?

Hi All

I tried scanning Channel 21 (as per my earlier message). No joy with zero signal strength and no channels found.

I called Humax again who had nothing to offer other than what has already been tried. I have directed them to this forum topic which I've been assured they will read and look into. I've been promised a reponse in the next 24 hours and will report back as soon as I hear anything.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 13:23:25 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

There's a diagnostic tool at https://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/diagnostic/

Provided I think by Digital UK. Might throw some light.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 14:17:41 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Scott McC - 1 hour ago  » 

mrbazzerman - 3 hours ago  » 
    Finally!! I thought I was going mad! I am having the same problem.
    I am living in the RG17 postal area and my box points to the Hannington transmitter. I have a DTR - 2000T box and the same night that "Spike TV" went live I lost all my com 7 channels. I don't have the option to manually scan with my box so having tried doing it automatically I have had no luck.

Hi
    You're not going mad but this problem is certainly driving me that way quite quickly. For what it's worth the problem first appeared on my box a day or two before Spike TV went live. Not sure if the appearance of a new channel and this problem are related but it's a good observation.

Perhaps it's just due to the fact that the advent of Spike (and free Breaking Bad) led to many retunes. Though that doesn't explain why only Hannington has been reported.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 14:23:35 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

steve-p

I have only registered to post to this thread, as I'm having the exact same problem with the loss of com7 from Hannington. I've actually got a DTRT2110 youview box, but my scenario is very similar to what others have outlined. I lost com7 on Wednesday or Thursday. Multiple rescans have failed to bring it back. My Panasonic TV can receive com7 absolutely fine, but the youview box cannot. All other muxes are fine.

My suspicion is that the Hannington transmitter is running on reduced power on 32, and that the tuners that Humax use are perhaps not as sensitive as other products, so the signal has fallen below the threshold which it can be tuned.

Having said that, on just two of the many rescans I've done in the last week, I lost all the other HD channels as well (PSB3 on 39). Immediately rescanning brought them straight back again though, and the signal on that mux is always level 80% and quality 100%, so I really can't understand why they would disappear sometimes on a rescan. I'm not sure if or how this is connected to the loss of com7.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 21:31:55 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

steve-p - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have only registered to post to this thread, as I'm having the exact same problem with the loss of com7 from Hannington. I've actually got a DTRT2110 youview box, but my scenario is very similar to what others have outlined. I lost com7 on Wednesday or Thursday. Multiple rescans have failed to bring it back. My Panasonic TV can receive com7 absolutely fine, but the youview box cannot. All other muxes are fine.

Ring YouView Support? 0333 313 2278

They should be able to come up with some answers. And if it is indeed just down to low power, who better than YouView to apply a little gentle persuasion to get the situation corrected. Benefitting the HDR-2000T users also in the process.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 22:41:08 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Scott McC

EEPhil - 1 day ago  » 
    As there are BBC channels involved, is it worth getting in touch with the BBC to see if they can resolve this?
    Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/television and follow the Transmitter Checker - eventually you can report a problem. Probably better to go to "About us" page and contact them by 'phone.

Hi

I just called the BBC on 03700 100123 and reported the issue (BBCNEWS HD amongst others on the COM7 MUX) no longer available in the RG postal code area. They checked for transmitter problems and 4G interference but could find no reported issues.

| Wed 22 Apr 2015 17:48:43 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Scott McC

steve-p - 20 hours ago  » 
    My suspicion is that the Hannington transmitter is running on reduced power on 32, and that the tuners that Humax use are perhaps not as sensitive as other products, so the signal has fallen below the threshold which it can be tuned.
    Having said that, on just two of the many rescans I've done in the last week, I lost all the other HD channels as well (PSB3 on 39). Immediately rescanning brought them straight back again though, and the signal on that mux is always level 80% and quality 100%, so I really can't understand why they would disappear sometimes on a rescan. I'm not sure if or how this is connected to the loss of com7.

Hi Steve

Your suspicion that the COM7 MUX is currently below the detection threshold of a number HUMAX set-top boxes is in keeping with my current conclusions (as like you my TV has suffered no issues). I'm not sure what to do about it though other than going back to Humax for further support.

| Wed 22 Apr 2015 17:55:07 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Scott McC

JamesB - 1 day ago  » 

Hi James

I just tried the link you provided entering my postcode but no reported transmitter faults were reported.

| Wed 22 Apr 2015 17:57:18 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Scott McC - 11 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 1 day ago  » 

Hi James
    I just tried the link you provided entering my postcode but no reported transmitter faults were reported.

A reported transmitter fault is only one of the possible causes of reception problems, and in this case it does not apply. If you continue with the diagnostic routine, beyond the point where it tells you that there are no reported transmitter faults, it asks further questions about symptoms, and offers detailed advice to help the user try to narrow down the possibilities. Some may find it helpful, although from reports in this thread it seems the most likely explanation of the loss of COM7, for some Humax users in the area, is either the low power at which the MUX is being broadcast, or perhaps in some cases, a Freeview Light relay is being wrongly picked up. Or for some it could be an aerial problem, or obstruction. The diagnostic tool may help here.

If the low-power cause applies, it may not be considered a transmitter fault, as only one manufacturer's boxes seem to be affected. But if YouView can be persuaded to intervene and use its considerable influence, it's possible the "low-power" hypothesis might be investigated (and if need be, addressed) for the benefit of Humax YouView boxes - which should also resolve that specific problem for non-YouView Humax boxes. Hence my suggestion that YouView users might ring YouView Support.

| Wed 22 Apr 2015 18:37:06 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.