My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Help section videos

(22 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_T - 11 hours ago  » 
    I've just tried again with nothing recording with the same result.
    I don't buy into the it's Freesat's fault argument. With the app faults sure, but the box is made by Humax and is ultimately their responsibility. Even if Freesat have input into what they can and can't do, it is Humax's job to make sure it works. My TV has Freesat and has none of the bugs the Humax has.

My Panasonic TV has twin freesat tuners, (and twin Freeview tuners) it has none of the features that the 2nd generation boxes have. It doesn't even allow recordings to be set from the epg. TBH never use the TV tuners it's very poor compared to a proper pvr (Even the first generation Foxsat-HDR).

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 11:04:10 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

At the end of the day, I don't really care who has responsibility for which bit of the software, all I know is that between them they are not doing a very good job. As I bought a Humax product with the firmware built in, not chosen or loaded by me, to me they are responsible for it working correctly. If they know a third party item is causing problems with their box, they should take it up with them, not expect me to.

If I buy a Ford and the ECU firmware, whoever has written it, has a fault I still take the car back to Ford and they have a legal duty to fix it.

My 3 month old Samsung TV does allow recording from the EPG and in fact the interface is very good and user friendly. I would happily just use that as a PVR but for the fact that it is only a single tuner so you can only record one channel and have to watch what you are recording.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 11:26:43 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_T - 10 minutes ago  » 
    At the end of the day, I don't really care who has responsibility for which bit of the software, all I know is that between them they are not doing a very good job. As I bought a Humax product with the firmware built in, not chosen or loaded by me, to me they are responsible for it working correctly. If they know a third party item is causing problems with their box, they should take it up with them, not expect me to.
    If I buy a Ford and the ECU firmware, whoever has written it, has a fault I still take the car back to Ford and they have a legal duty to fix it.
    My 3 month old Samsung TV does allow recording from the EPG and in fact the interface is very good and user friendly. I would happily just use that as a PVR but for the fact that it is only a single tuner so you can only record one channel and have to watch what you are recording.

Why don't you contact Freesat, if you are that bothered about the lack of the help videos ? TBH it's so trivial I can't be bothered as it's not something I would ever use. You have been told the most likely cause.

Can your single freesat tuner TV watch a 2nd channel on the same transponder as the recording (eg record BBC1 HD watch BBC2 HD or vice versa). Can it record the other channel after the first recording finishes from the time shift buffer ? The single tuner HB1000S can. The twin tuner models are much more versatile. If not it's not very well designed is it ?

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 11:39:42 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

I don't need the help videos. It is just something I discovered didn't work before my reset, and I was using it as a test to see if the reset had improved anything and whether or not my specific box is faulty or if it is generic fault. But it is also proof of the lack of testing of the firmware. That is not trivial.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 11:48:59 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

TBH I have stopped (and in some instances never started) using the features with either of our PVRs, or my so called 'smart TV'. I find both poorly supported and I treat both my Humax 1000s and our 2000T as 'dumb recorders'.

When used in this manner I find them very reliable. For 'smart features' I tend to use a Chromecast device which is cheap, reliable and receives regular updates.

Don't sweat the trivial things in life.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 12:01:18 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Geoff_T - 11 hours ago  » 
    I've just tried again with nothing recording with the same result.
    I don't buy into the it's Freesat's fault argument. With the app faults sure, but the box is made by Humax and is ultimately their responsibility. Even if Freesat have input into what they can and can't do, it is Humax's job to make sure it works. My TV has Freesat and has none of the bugs the Humax has.

My Panasonic TV has twin freesat tuners, (and twin Freeview tuners) it has none of the features that the 2nd generation boxes have. It doesn't even allow recordings to be set from the epg. TBH never use the TV tuners it's very poor compared to a proper pvr (Even the first generation Foxsat-HDR).

My 5-ish year old Panasonic single tuner Freesat tv does allow recordings to be set from the EPG and the time slip feature works well but I only really use it to watch live TV as I have two perfectly good twin tuner Humax Freesat PVR's.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 12:17:22 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Geoff_T - 51 minutes ago  » 
    At the end of the day, I don't really care who has responsibility for which bit of the software, all I know is that between them they are not doing a very good job. .

As far as I'm concerned a company (and chap called Aubrey) were commissioned by Freesat to come up with the design and write the <free time> software which was hopefully going to be used by many different PVR manufacturers. I believe Aubrey then left the project a few months after launch, probably because it didn't go that smoothly and many freesat customers weren't that impressed with his efforts.
    Humax have to integrate the <free time>/ondemand etc etc software into their boxes along with their own software and try to get it all working smoothly with the help of Freesats technology team.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/freesat-announces-new-chief-technology-officer/

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 12:24:02 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_T - 1 hour ago  » 
    I don't need the help videos. It is just something I discovered didn't work before my reset, and I was using it as a test to see if the reset had improved anything and whether or not my specific box is faulty or if it is generic fault. But it is also proof of the lack of testing of the firmware. That is not trivial.

How hard is it to understand, the problem is very unlikely to be software (firmware) related. ? The resource it links to is just missing. Frankly fed up of bashing my head against a brick wall.

I can detail some real bugs which you clearly have not even noticed. If you watch a recording in chasing playback and exit before the recording is completed, the resume feature doesn't work is one.

This works on the other Humax pvrs incidentally.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 13:08:08 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Geoff_T - 1 hour ago  » 

How hard is it to understand, the problem is very unlikely to be software (firmware) related. ? The resource it links to is just missing. Frankly fed up of bashing my head against a brick wall.
    I can detail some real bugs which you clearly have not even noticed. If you watch a recording in chasing playback and exit before the recording is completed, the resume feature doesn't work is one.

I can confirm this - it works without issue with our 2000T but not our 1000s.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 15:02:12 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

Geoff_T - 1 hour ago  » 

I can confirm this - it works without issue with our 2000T but not our 1000s.

Just for the record recordings will resume later under the circumstances laid out by Graham, they will even resume if the programme being recording was only ever part watched via the buffer.

The bug is to do with the unwatched/part watched etc icon circle on those recordings, but the resume function still works perfectly.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 17:07:03 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.