My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

How can I trust my 5000T?

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Last night at 2100, I suddenly noticed that the record light was absent at the start of Poldark, despite having set it up as a series link at the start of the run several weeks ago. Having watched the programme live, I checked the schedule and there was no sign of Poldark, not even for next Sunday, despite being correctly listed on the EPG.

I am not having any signal problems and the overall setup of the box is very straightforward, with no odd devices involved, just a TV to display the pictures. With all the other problems which I and others have previously mentioned about the 5000T, I begin to wonder just how much I can trust this box to act reliably.

I am somewhat at my wits end as I rely on this box to provide a TV service for my frail 90 year old partner and she just can't understand why I keep on making mistakes, when in reality it is the box making them. I purchased the box 8 months ago in good faith believing that it was the best on the market and I feel rather let down and disappointed. My old Topfield box, which finally died earlier this year, displayed none of these foibles and I was very sorry to lose it.

I just don't know what to do to restore my shattered faith in it.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 7:05:13 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I honestly doubt it is the Humax unless it is faulty which, as it "works most of the time" is very unlikely.

My 4000T is very reliable and the only errors I have I put down to the EPG data being wrong. For example, 5USA codes some repeats as the same series so I record the program and its repeat.

It's almost certainly a transmitter change - perhaps channels have been shuffled in a multiplex. I think the box will continue using the old numbers for an overlap period and then it will stop.

Check with the Postcode Checker (choose Detailed view) at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/index/dummy/NA/yes to see and do a retune if required. I always delete all stored channels and do a manual retune to ensure I get the correct channels.

I would do a "delete all channels and do a manual retune" in any case so I was absolutely certain the Humax is set up properly before reaching any conclusions.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 7:19:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

No, there have been no transmitter changes at Crystal Palace for several months and all the channels are just how they should be.

As I say, this is just the latest in a long series of odd happenings which are destroying my faith in the 5000T.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 7:24:42 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the transmitter.
    I say this as I've had a 5000t since they first came out.
    I all this time It hasn't failed to record any recordings at all.
    In fact I don't remember anyone mentioning, failed recordings before.

As Freeview are doing a lot of upgrade work on most of their transmitters.
    I can't help but think it's your transmitter that's at fault.
    Indeed on our transmitter it's by pure luck I found out Ours is being upgraded soon(freeview website doesn't show it.)It's a system upgrade which requires a default retune not a smart retune.
    I'm guessing you may have naturally done a smart one.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 7:46:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

What does the postcode checker say? When I look there are many possible transmitters.

Are you sure you are receiving all stations from the same transmitter? Getting some stations from one transmitter and some from another is a recipe for much confusion.

1. Check with the postcode checker for your postcode and house number which channels you need

2. Delete all channels

3. Do a manual return of just those channels

Now observe it for a few weeks.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 7:59:30 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

No, there have been no changes at Crystal Palace since March nor any posted this side of 2020 which will require a retune. I am sure that were there issues with CP the outcry on the various TV forum sites would be immense and there has been none. I can not receive any alternative transmitters so that cannot cause any issues.

My reception is absolutely fine. All the main Mux are 85-90% strength, 100% quality (I say main because I do not receive COM 7&8 due to my group A aerial, but I don't care about their absence anyway).

Anyway, the programme which was missed was perfectly receivable right through as we watched it live through the box.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 8:14:39 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

You ask for advice ... and reject it. There is nothing more to be said.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 8:28:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I am not rejecting the advice, it is just that I have already checked that all is in order as far as signal is concerned. The box is tuned to all the correct channels for my only transmitter as confirmed by the DUK checker.

This failure was nothing to do with a signal problem as there is none, it was something else.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 8:31:04 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

The only thing I can think of is if it is showing on your schedule till.

Is gone completely, or does it show at the bottom as getting info ?

As you watched it live anyway, the code that is transmitted for your box to read, may have been changed by the station.

I may be wrong, but it seems unusual that you had this problem.

We have literally recorded hundreds of programmes without a hitch,

However were not on the same transmitter as you.

I have noticed posts made referring to problems with the crystal palace transmitter causing problems for recorders. But this is on a different forum for a Panasonic pvr.

This is why I said it may be in the programme coding transmitted .

Our Neighbour has the same box, they also have not had a single failure.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 8:50:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

The only thing I can think of is if it is showing on your schedule till.

Is gone completely, or does it show at the bottom as getting info ?

As you watched it live anyway, the code that is transmitted for your box to read, may have been changed by the station.

I may be wrong, but it seems unusual that you had this problem.

We have literally recorded hundreds of programmes without a hitch,

However were not on the same transmitter as you.

I have noticed posts made referring to problems with the crystal palace transmitter causing problems for recorders. But this is on a different forum for a Panasonic pvr.

This is why I said it may be in the programme coding transmitted .

Our Neighbour has the same box, they also have not had a single failure.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 8:51:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.