My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

How can I trust my 5000T?

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » 

A1944 - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham. I hope that it was a one-off, it may never happen again, but I will be very wary with the box for quite a while, especially after the other strange happenings that I have observed.

Next Sundays episode should be in the recording schedule and flagged in the epg. Have you checked it's found the programme ? It's not totally unknown for a broadcaster to change the series crid mid series

Yes, I can understand how the broadcasters can get things wrong sometimes. No, it did not find next week's episode because it had completely disappeared, not even appearing as "Getting information..." at the bottom of the schedule. I had to reinstate it by reprogramming the whole series again from next Sunday on the EPG.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 17:48:49 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » 

A1944 - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham. I hope that it was a one-off, it may never happen again, but I will be very wary with the box for quite a while, especially after the other strange happenings that I have observed.

Next Sundays episode should be in the recording schedule and flagged in the epg. Have you checked it's found the programme ? It's not totally unknown for a broadcaster to change the series crid mid series

Yes, I can understand how the broadcasters can get things wrong sometimes. No, it did not find next week's episode because it had completely disappeared, not even appearing as "Getting information..." at the bottom of the schedule. I had to reinstate it by reprogramming the whole series again from next Sunday on the EPG.

A classic example. It's possible to display the CRID codes for future recordings, sadly not for ones in the past.

I remember requesting this data was added to the recording, way back in 2008 using the then brand new Foxsat-HDR. Humax responce was a liitle evasive, Basically a broadcaster doesn't want evidence of a screw up available to us mere users. On reflection seems a classic case of evading the freedom of information laws.

Briefly this how it's supposed to work.

The broadcaster supplies a pair of codes.

A series CRID the same for every episode in a series.

A Programme CRID unique to the individual episode.

When you set a series recording the box finds the first event with the same series CRID and a episode CRID that you haven't already recorded.

This means it may be one before the one you set.

Once recorded the epg is scanned for the next entry with the same series CRID but a different programme CRID (avoiding repeat recordings).

Unfortunately broadcasters seem unable to respond to changes to the epg during the constant re-scheduling during major sporting events like Wimbledon (and this year the World Cup).

Whether this is a limitation in the system or a incompetence by the broadcaster I have no idea,

I do think it's worthy of a complaint to OFCOM and the broadcaster involved.

ITV-HD failed miserably with it's two major soaps last week. Both Emmerdale and Corrie failed to record.

I think you ought to re-consider deleting the BBC 1 HD channel as there is only one BBC 1 HD channel in England and numerous SD Regional variants. I know you can't see the others but guessing the CRID codeing is used for satellite as well. This introduces more complication because all BBC-SD regional and BBC-HD nation regions figure in the epg,

Unlike terrestrial you can choose to watch any of them.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 19:59:03 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Thanks for that explanation Graham. I will consider your suggestion of reinstating the BBC1HD entry, though I still loathe the Watch in HD message which keeps coming up in the BBC regional news (or at least did before I binned it!!), but if having done that is perhaps causing a problem then maybe it is the lesser of two evils.

I still cannot get my head around the fact that Poldark disappeared so completely from both areas of the schedule. Could a wrong CRID cause that?

| Tue 10 Jul 2018 8:52:28 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for that explanation Graham. I will consider your suggestion of reinstating the BBC1HD entry, though I still loathe the Watch in HD message which keeps coming up in the BBC regional news (or at least did before I binned it!!), but if having done that is perhaps causing a problem then maybe it is the lesser of two evils.
    I still cannot get my head around the fact that Poldark disappeared so completely from both areas of the schedule. Could a wrong CRID cause that?

Yes it could, if the BBC changed the series CRID after the last one that recorded then the box can't find the next episode. The reservation would appear at the end of the list and remain there until 13 weeks without it finding a programme and then auto deleting. Only way is set a new reservation to pick up a changed crid. This of course is only a theory as there is no way now to find what the series crid of previous episodes that worked was.

| Tue 10 Jul 2018 11:16:57 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

grahamlthompson - 27 minutes ago  » 

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 

Yes it could, if the BBC changed the series CRID after the last one that recorded then the box can't find the next episode. The reservation would appear at the end of the list and remain there until 13 weeks without it finding a programme and then auto deleting. Only way is set a new reservation to pick up a changed crid. This of course is only a theory as there is no way now to find what the series crid of previous episodes that worked was.

Quite, but that is the reason for my puzzlement. It did not put the reservation at the end of the list, even though it was only 7 days since the previous episode, it was nowhere in the schedule in any form.

| Tue 10 Jul 2018 11:46:45 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 40 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 27 minutes ago  » 

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 

Quite, but that is the reason for my puzzlement. It did not put the reservation at the end of the list, even though it was only 7 days since the previous episode, it was nowhere in the schedule in any form.

Very strange. Is it possible that someone accidentally deleted the series recording schedule ?

| Tue 10 Jul 2018 12:27:43 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Well, I don't know how that could have happened. I am the only one who has ever used the box. A mystery!

Oh well, I guess the topic has probably run its course. Thanks for all the thoughts.

| Tue 10 Jul 2018 13:38:49 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Perhaps you now understand some of the reasoning behind my advice and why a manual tune of the correct multiplexes is important.

| Wed 11 Jul 2018 7:54:05 #28 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.