How to solve "Not supported file format"/

(81 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

I thought I had said

Yes, it's an 1100S PVR.
    , but anyway it's the HDR.

How many connections? Probably 1 first time round, but after that I was concentrating more on getting any signal.

What do you mean by "bottom"; the bit that grips the cable? I'll prpbably have a go at remaking again, though the connector seems very tight without additional strands beneath.

| Sat 13 May 2017 9:23:54 #71 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

The connector looks like Inside is grooved.

| Sat 13 May 2017 9:57:19 #72 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

http://www.sdsdigital.co.uk/Fitting-an-F-Connector.html

If you install with just one cable, you need to do a factory reset to recognise a second cable has been connected.

| Sat 13 May 2017 9:57:36 #73 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

cerclebois - 46 minutes ago  » 

The grooved bit (on the right in the image) must grip the braid otherwise it will not make a circuit.

Note Grahams comment above re the reset.

| Sat 13 May 2017 10:46:53 #74 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cerclebois - 57 minutes ago  » 

The grooves is a screw thread, it should screw tightly onto the coax outer with the screen trapped in the thread. If it's easy to screw on, the f connector is too big for the coax you are using. Basically there is two sizes of coax for satellite 65mm (WF65) often supplied in a twin (shotgun) format and 100mm (WF100) much thicker than 65mm.

| Sat 13 May 2017 10:58:27 #75 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Do I cut the silver foil right off?
    @Graham Two separate cables through wall!

| Sat 13 May 2017 11:11:55 #76 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

cerclebois - 39 minutes ago  » 

No - Bend it back over the cable and screw the F-Connector on to it.

| Sat 13 May 2017 11:52:31 #77 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cerclebois - 37 minutes ago  » 

You must have poor quality cables, at a guess it's old RG6 coax. The best cable (WF100/PF100) has gold coloured foil screen. I remove the foil back to the outer cable because my f connectors are very tight, if yours aren't leaving it on will help to get a better fit.

RG6 - A budget double screened domestic cable with a copper clad steel core, aluminium first screen and aluminium braiding

WF100 - A high quality double screened cable with a copper core, plain copper first screen and plain copper braiding

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-rg6-satellite-coaxial-cable-50m-white/26026?kpid=26026&gclid=CILzhc7a7NMCFRAW0wodB40F_Q&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIaDms7a7NMCFcONGwodXgEIsw

https://www.avliving.co.uk/item/100m-webro-wf100-aerial-satellite-coax-cable

If the f connector is slack you can put a single turn of pvc insulation tape over the coax outer (under the screen) to pad it out a bit.

| Sat 13 May 2017 11:53:18 #78 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

cerclebois - 37 minutes ago  » 

You must have poor quality cables, at a guess it's old RG6 coax. The best cable (WF100/PF100) has gold coloured foil screen. I remove the foil back to the outer cable because my f connectors are very tight, if yours aren't leaving it on will help to get a better fit.
    RG6 - A budget double screened domestic cable with a copper clad steel core, aluminium first screen and aluminium braiding
    WF100 - A high quality double screened cable with a copper core, plain copper first screen and plain copper braiding
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-rg6-satellite-coaxial-cable-50m-white/26026?kpid=26026&gclid=CILzhc7a7NMCFRAW0wodB40F_Q&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIaDms7a7NMCFcONGwodXgEIsw
    https://www.avliving.co.uk/item/100m-webro-wf100-aerial-satellite-coax-cable
    If the f connector is slack you can put a single turn of pvc insulation tape over the coax outer (under the screen) to pad it out a bit.

RG6 seems to ring a bell, and it was installed years ago. Also the local fitter last summer, when we discussed re-siting the dish to other side of house to clear foliage, did mention better cabling.

| Sat 13 May 2017 13:03:46 #79 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

I just could not create any connection, and what tools I had were useless.
    My son-i-l came round, and remade the f-connections. Even he had much the same experiences as I, taking a half hour of removing, replacing, whatever the leads to the box. Finally it worked. Getting the signal was extremely slow, and, compared with before the signal quality, whilst still classed as good, is much lower than hitherto.

| Mon 15 May 2017 8:47:14 #80 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.