My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Humax 5000

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blue.boy

Hello everyone on this site & thank you for letting me join the Forum.

I am knocking on a bit in years & my technology skills are not so great but I am having problems with my Humax 5000T recording box.

I was with Virgin Media for many years but because of the cost keep going up decided to end my contract with them, I had the TV package which included the Tivo box, I have to say the Tivo box was excellent & I always got what I asked for if I set it.

I still wanted to record stuff while on holiday etc so bought the Humax 5000 box which I was hoping would simply take over from the Tivo, it does work to some degree but have to say at this moment I am a little un impressed.

I have set it to record movies from various channels & some record ok, some are corrupted (showing a broken tape) no idea why, not had any power cuts & TV signal is excellent. My wife loves a bit of Corrie & as we were going away I set it to record the ongoing series, got home Thursday & was expecting around 15 episodes to be recorded & all I have is 3 ??? from the first week away. I have also noticed that movies often only record for 1 hour so keep missing the ends of said movies. I have noticed as well that a movie I select to record records over several days 3 or 4 times but always just 1 hour. Given how reliable the Tivo was I am a bit disappointed with the Humax, I feel maybe I am doing something wrong but have followed the install instructions. Hoping some of you more tech people can put me on the road to happier recordings please.

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 12:05:44 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Blue.boy - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have set it to record movies from various channels & some record ok, some are corrupted (showing a broken tape) no idea why, not had any power cuts & TV signal is excellent.

Have you actually tried playing the recordings that are shown as failures? In my experience more often than not they play properly with no discernible problem. What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax when tuned to ITV?

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 14:10:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Many of the channels split the films (I think there is a green symbol that indicates this). You could have 1 hour of film, some entertainment news, and the conclusion of the film. If I remember correctly, the two parts of the film record separately - so you will see two recordings of the same name about 1 hour apart. The missing bit of your films might be in the second recording. There appears to be a fault with Humax and split programmes. If there is a repeat of the programme it records it again (and again!).
    I find BBC FOUR often shows the broken symbol on recordings, claiming the programme wasn't broadcast. The recordings seem fine to me.
    (Note: For various reasons I don't use Accurate Recording so my observations may only apply to that case)

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 15:48:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blue.boy

Thank you so much for the replies. Some of the recordings do play & some do not. Films recorded, yes that makes sense but its always the first hour, I never get the ending & have had 4 or 5 recordings exactly the same, oh how I wish it was recorded 3 or 4 times & included both parts. Will check the signal strength but if I remember it was all good but will check again.

The box seems very unreliable in comparison to the Tivo I had but will stick with it & hope I can get over the problems I'm having.

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 16:52:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

meadfoot

Are you receiving channels from more than one transmitter?

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 16:57:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blue.boy

Blue.boy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thank you so much for the replies. Some of the recordings do play & some do not. Films recorded, yes that makes sense but its always the first hour, I never get the ending & have had 4 or 5 recordings exactly the same, oh how I wish it was recorded 3 or 4 times & included both parts. Will check the signal strength but if I remember it was all good but will check again.
    The box seems very unreliable in comparison to the Tivo I had but will stick with it & hope I can get over the problems I'm having.

How would I know ? I live about 10 miles from Sandy Heath transmitter. I just checked my signal strength & it says for Tuner 1 Quality 100% Strength 78%. But there are another 2 tuners which both say 0% 0%, is that correct. I also just checked my series link for Corrie & still active although it has not recorded about 12 episodes ?? all a bit confusing.

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 18:04:31 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Re the strength/quality only showing for one tuner. The reason is that it only shows them all if you are actually using all three, so you would need to be watching/recording channels on 3 different Mux at the same time, eg. BBC1 SD, BBC2 HD and ITV SD.

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 19:55:46 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Blue.boy - 1 hour ago  » 
    I live about 10 miles from Sandy Heath transmitter. I just checked my signal strength & it says for Tuner 1 Quality 100% Strength 78%. But there are another 2 tuners which both say 0% 0%, is that correct.

The signal strength and quality are good.

I also just checked my series link for Corrie & still active although it has not recorded about 12 episodes ??

Cancel the series link and reschedule it and see if that helps.

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 20:01:33 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

If you are only watching one channel with no recordings you will only see one tuner in action.
    When you have other recordings on channels broadcast on other multiplexes then you will see the other tuners
    be used.

When you first tuned the 5000T did you use auto tuning, this can sometimes pick up signals from two
    different transmitters.
    To check see if there are any channels in the 800s on your EPG. if you do have duplicate channels this can sometimes confuse the 5000T
    and result in missed or repeated recordings.

If you do have duplicate channels then you should use the manual tune function to make sure the box is
    only receiving from one transmitter.

To find which transmitter is best for your particular location click on the link below,
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/detailed-transmitter-information
    enter your postcode and house number and click on Check.

Here you will see a table of transmitters serving your area.
    Make a note of the one labeled Most Likely.
    Scroll down to Coverage Prediction and look at the info for your chosen Transmitter.

Under the N in the black circle you will see a number, this number is the multiplex (mux) there should be five.
    Each mux carries several different TV channels and radio broadcasts.
    Make a note of each of these numbers, pay special attention to the one labeled BBC B, this is the mux carrying the HD channels/ transmissions.
    To tune the box to the HD mux you need to change a setting, more later.

If you are certain you want to try manual tuning you will need to get rid of the channels on the box at the moment.
    Disconnect the aerial lead from your box.
    Go to Settings and try an auto tune without the aerial plugged in, this should remove all channels.

Put the aerial back in to the 5000T.
    Go to Settings > Channel Settings> Manual Channel Search.
    Click on Channel, select one of the mux numbers you noted, not the HD one, make sure Transmission is set to DVB-T.
    Click on Search, once all channels for that mux are found the Search box will change to Save, click.
    Do the same for the other three SD broadcast muxes.
    Now do the HD mux broadcast, enter the number for the HD mux, go to Transmission and select DVB-T2,
    The strength and quality meters should now populate, press Search and when all channels have been found press Save.
    Having done this for the four SD broadcast muxes and the HD broadcast mux you are now ready to go back to normal
    viewing and setting recordings.

One other thing to note is the Signal Strength meter, you may think that if this is at 100% that this is good.
    Unfortunately this can hamper the quality of the image you see on screen and result in drop outs and pixellation.
    The ideal for the Signal Strength meter should be about 90-95%. To reduce the Signal Strength if it is too high
    you would need to buy an adjustable attenuator, you can usually pick them up for a few pounds on Amazon
    for example.

The Signal Quality meter should ideally be at 100%.

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 20:21:45 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

If you leave the aerial plugged in, start auto tune and stop it immediately without saving any channels that will also clear all the channels out.

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 21:04:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.