My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax 1100s lost satellite signal

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DeltaMike

Our Humax box has suddenly lost the satellite signal - but I know there’s nothing wrong with the satellite signal because if I screw the cable directly into the back of the TV it works just fine.

It had previously been working fine, and then sometime this week something happened and it lost lots of channels. It was still okay for BBC1 HD but not non-HD, no ITV etc. A channel search made no difference, nor did checking and tightening the connections. So I did a factory restore - and now it says no signal and finds no channels at all. But as I said, if I disconnect either of the two cables and put them directly into the TV it’s all fine.

Any ideas anyone? I’ve read previous threads on problems in 2018 and have left the box on incase it sorts itself out, but still no joy.

Thanks

| Sun 8 Mar 2020 18:29:26 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DeltaMike - 3 hours ago  » 
    Our Humax box has suddenly lost the satellite signal - but I know there’s nothing wrong with the satellite signal because if I screw the cable directly into the back of the TV it works just fine.
    It had previously been working fine, and then sometime this week something happened and it lost lots of channels. It was still okay for BBC1 HD but not non-HD, no ITV etc. A channel search made no difference, nor did checking and tightening the connections. So I did a factory restore - and now it says no signal and finds no channels at all. But as I said, if I disconnect either of the two cables and put them directly into the TV it’s all fine.
    Any ideas anyone? I’ve read previous threads on problems in 2018 and have left the box on incase it sorts itself out, but still no joy.
    Thanks

When you connected the cables to the TV did you check that both cables gave you the channels from the four possible variations ? This assumes the TV has a Freesat tuner. If not the channel numbers will be completely different, so you will have to locate them.

With one cable connected to the TV check you can view the following

Low Band Vertical

977 ITV London

Low Band Horizontal

105 Channel 5 HD

High Band Vertical.

157 Dave

High Band Horizontal

146 Challenge.

Switch to the other cable and repeat.

Post what you find.

Guessing you have a lnb fault. best guess you have lost the Horizontally polarised channels which includes the Freesat home transponder.

If it's OK you should get all the above using either cable.

| Sun 8 Mar 2020 21:45:00 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

DeltaMike

Thanks for your reply. Here’s the findings.

977 is not available
    105 is ETV5
    157 is arirang TV HD
    146 is STV HD

This is the same for both cables. And bizarrely the HD channels for BBC 1 etc are 001, 002 etc. There’s no 101, and 102 is ITV.

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 11:18:17 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DeltaMike - 58 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for your reply. Here’s the findings.
    977 is not available
    105 is ETV5
    157 is arirang TV HD
    146 is STV HD
    This is the same for both cables. And bizarrely the HD channels for BBC 1 etc are 001, 002 etc. There’s no 101, and 102 is ITV.

That's because you setup the box using a scottish postcode. This changes the LCN's somewhat.

The channel numbers I gave you were based on an English Postcode. 977 Is ITV London which you don't get using a scottish post code.

I just need to find you a low band vertical channel you have on your epg.

Test 102 BBC 2 HD.

If that works OK on both cables the Humax box should work unless you have lost the home transponder.

Can you see the menus or does the box just say no signal ?

Does the TV have a non freesat option that allows you to look at specific transponders

If you get nothing so try swapping the two cables around at the box end. Until you can see the menus to be able to get into manual tune hard to

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 12:26:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

DeltaMike

The Sony Bravia TV does not ask me for my postcode and I can’t find a menu where I could add it. It might get it from my ISP which for some strange reason is currently locating me in Dalgety Bay (I’m in Bath, Somerset).

The Humax box asks for a postcode but then won’t accept it saying no connection.

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 12:57:31 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DeltaMike - 1 min ago  » 
    The Sony Bravia TV does not ask me for my postcode and I can’t find a menu where I could add it. It might get it from my ISP which for some strange reason is currently locating me in Dalgety Bay (I’m in Bath, Somerset).
    The Humax box asks for a postcode but then won’t accept it saying no connection.

If the TV does not ask for a postcode it's not a freesat device. How it got the LCN's is a total mystery. It must have a generic FTA Tuner. Is should therefore be able to add any FTA on 28.2E transponder to the channel line up.

You might have to do a reset on the TV to get the postcode entry if it is indeed a Freesat TV.

What make and Model is the TV ?

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 13:02:47 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

DeltaMike

It’s a Sony Bravia KD-49XE9005

It has two satellite input cables and I assumed it had Freesat built in.

So putting that to one side and going back to the Humax box: both cables work plugged directly into the TV (in fact I’m getting a better picture than I had through the Humax) but when plugged into the Humax it says there’s no satellite signal.

I don’t understand the ‘lost transponder’ - where is the transponder (the only thing I know about transponders is when I used to fly I had a transponder in order for ATC to locate me).

Thanks again.

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 13:19:11 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DeltaMike - 9 mins ago  » 
    It’s a Sony Bravia KD-49XE9005
    It has two satellite input cables and I assumed it had Freesat built in.
    So putting that to one side and going back to the Humax box: both cables work plugged directly into the TV (in fact I’m getting a better picture than I had through the Humax) but when plugged into the Humax it says there’s no satellite signal.
    I don’t understand the ‘lost transponder’ - where is the transponder (the only thing I know about transponders is when I used to fly I had a transponder in order for ATC to locate me).
    Thanks again.

Just had a look at the spec. This TV does have freesat.

Short Digital TV primer:

Terrestrial Digital TV uses a number of single frequency UHF carriers depending on transmitter, which has data for multiple TV channels multiplexed onto the carrier. Terrestrial TV refers to these as MUX - short for multiplex. Use use a UHF aerial to receive these.

Satellite TV in your case has in effect only 1 transmitter (actually multiple satellites) all located directly above the equator at 28.2E. They orbit the earth in the same direction as it spins at a speed which maintains there position vertically above 0 degrees latitude, 28.2 E longitude. As a result to a observer on the earth they appear to be stationary. The frequencies used are much higher than UHF and are actually in the microwave range.

The dish (which has a parabolic shape) collects these and focusses them on the lnb (the box on the end of the arm). Microwaves are too high in frequency to pass down a coax cable. It's the job of the LNB to downshift to a frequency that can go down a cable (LNB Low noise Block converter).

A satellite MUX (transponder has a frequency used for the carrier and a polarisation Horizontal or Vertical). The frequency band too high to use in one go so the tuner switches the lnb into two halves (High Low) and also between Horizontal or Vertical polarisation. This means that unlike terrestrial a satellite tuner has to send control signals up the coax to the lnb segment it's connected to.

More info

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm

One particular transponder at 28.2E transmits the Freesat epg as a data stream and also transmits postcode allocation data to the tuner on setup. This is known as the home transponder. Without reception from this you cannot setup a freesat box/TV.

Full 28.2E Free To Air transponder list is here.

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

The freesat home transponder is txp 115.

Astra 2E 11425.00 Frequency MHZ) H (polarisation) 115 U.K. (UK Spot beam) DVB-S (type 1 modulation_ QPSK (modulation) 27500 (Symbol rate) 2/3 (Forward error correction - FEC) Freesat, 33.8 Mb/s (transponder data rate)

These are the numbers you need to add a transponder using non freesat mode).

Do you have a USB recording drive connected and setup to record connected to your TV ?

If so checking it works as a twin tuner pvr is very simple.

If this works correctly it's looking as if your Humax pvr is faulty. If not it could be a connection issue.

That's why I suggested you swap the two cables around on the Humax box input.

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 13:56:41 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A transponder is a transmitter which transmits at a fixed frequency with either horizonal or vertical polarisation. It carries a number of channels.

If your LNB cannot tune to the freesat transponder after a factory reset or retune it will not look any further in freesat mode (It will in non-freesat mode).

The needed transponder is at: 11428 H 27500 2/3
    (some units may display a very near frequency, which is O.K.)

Like Graham I suspect a duff LNB, for some reason we hear Horizontal, Low seems to get lost first, perhaps because it causes more problems, and low of high could go unnoticed as there is much fewer channels.

Edit: Graham posted while I was typing, his transponder description is better than mine. A PVR tuner fault is possible but very rare.

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 14:09:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

DeltaMike

Thank you both. Satellite engineer booked for Thursday, will let you know what the problem was. The co. I use said they’ve had many call-outs on the past couple weeks because of the storms.

I can see from the forum that others have had problems with the Humax 1100s, with one poster saying it eventually worked on the 9th attempt I think.

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 14:28:21 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.