My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura Sound Setting

(61 posts)
  1. Blackforce

Blackforce

Hi
    can anyone help please?
    Bought the Humax Aura a couple of days ago and it's great.
    I only have one small problem, Sound setting?
    When I connected the Aura to my Marantz NR1508 Home cinema receiver.
    The display on the Marantz showed Dolby Digital Plus.
    Which then only came through my Marantz in stereo?
    So I went through the Aura sound menu to sort out the problem.
    Firstly, you can alter the Aura sound through device preference.
    Which I have done opting for the manual setting of surround sound formats.
    ie Dolby Digital, and DTS only. No Dolby Digital plus as my Marantz will not support this format.
    I also set the Aura sound on the channel broadcast to surround.
    But I still only get Dolby Digital Plus on the Marantz display?
    And only stereo sound?
    I have played back content that I know is in 5.1 Dolby Digital ie. Big Bang Theory on Ch4HD. It does reproduce 5.1. Great! However when watching say the news on itv. It comes through in stereo, and yes I know it is transmitted that way by itv. But my Marantz shows Dolby Digital Plus in the display, and I am unable to switch my Marantz to Dolby Pro-Logic II?
    Any ideas?

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 12:30:06 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Blackforce - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi
    can anyone help please?
    Bought the Humax Aura a couple of days ago and it's great.
    I only have one small problem, Sound setting?
    When I connected the Aura to my Marantz NR1508 Home cinema receiver.
    The display on the Marantz showed Dolby Digital Plus.
    Which then only came through my Marantz in stereo?
    So I went through the Aura sound menu to sort out the problem.
    Firstly, you can alter the Aura sound through device preference.
    Which I have done opting for the manual setting of surround sound formats.
    ie Dolby Digital, and DTS only. No Dolby Digital plus as my Marantz will not support this format.
    I also set the Aura sound on the channel broadcast to surround.
    But I still only get Dolby Digital Plus on the Marantz display?
    And only stereo sound?
    I have played back content that I know is in 5.1 Dolby Digital ie. Big Bang Theory on Ch4HD. It does reproduce 5.1. Great! However when watching say the news on itv. It comes through in stereo, and yes I know it is transmitted that way by itv. But my Marantz shows Dolby Digital Plus in the display, and I am unable to switch my Marantz to Dolby Pro-Logic II?
    Any ideas?

I don;t think you can do anything about this because it's the source or broadcaster that only includes a Dolby Digital track. Not normally an issue for most modern kit

https://developer.dolby.com/technology/dolby-audio/dolby-digital-plus/

Others like ITV use bog standard ac3 in 2.0 format.

Time to update your avr.

Try changing the Aura Digital audio out setting from surround to stereo.

This should recode Dolby Digital to mpeg1 layer 2 audio (PCM Stereo)

Your AVR should be able to use dsp processing on this. It will also let you control the box volume at source using the aura remote.

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 15:04:55 #2 |
  3. Blackforce

Blackforce

Thanks for the reply.
    I have set the Aura to stereo, and yes I can use the Marantz in Dolby pro-logic II now. But playing back a program I know is in Dolby digital 5.1
    The Marantz will not decode it. It stays in Dolby pro-life II.
    It can't be the Marantz at fault. As it worked perfectly fine decoding all the correct sound formats when I had my older Huma X FVP-5000T connected.
    I'm beginning to think this a software problem with the Aura

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 21:16:13 #3 |
  4. Blackforce

Blackforce

Ps the Marantz NR1508 is quite a recent model.

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 21:18:57 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Blackforce - 1 min ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have set the Aura to stereo, and yes I can use the Marantz in Dolby pro-logic II now. But playing back a program I know is in Dolby digital 5.1
    It can't be the Marantz at fault. As it worked perfectly fine decoding all the correct sound formats when I had my older Huma X FVP-5000T connected.

Once more you post you know a programme that is in 5.1 and fail to post what it is. None of us have a cystal ball. Post what it is and I can show you what the Aura outputs.

I also know many programmes that are in 5.1. How the heck can anyone guess which one you referring to.

Battlestar Galactica on BBC2-HD is in 5.1. If it happens to be that one, I can show the outcome because I happen to be recording it.

Otherwise, please at least provide the det 8Oails asked for or stop wasting my time.

Trying to help but cannot without the info I asked for.

It's not. Clearly if you elect to recode all content to PCM stereo. You lose the capability to get 5.1. As ITV-HD never uses 5.1 it's not an issue for this channel.

If a broadcaster chooses to use DD+, you need a destination that can decode DD+. eg a more modern AVR.

You will get this problem on any kit that has access to channels using DD+.

Had you bought a FVP-5000T you woud have the same problem. I do not have it simply because my AVR has no issue with the codec, nor with any of the lossless HD audio codecs up to Dolby atmos.

Of course if you could persuade the source provider to add a standard ac3 audio track in the container it would work. Good luck with that. They use DD+ because it only needs one audio track for most. The do this to minimise the bandwidth each channel in the mux takes from the total available.

Otherwise, please at least provide the det 8Oails asked for or stop wasting my time. [8O]

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 21:26:08 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 32 mins ago  » 

Blackforce - 1 min ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply.

Once more you post you know a programme that is in 5.1 and fail to post what it is. None of us have a cystal ball. Post what it is and I can show you what the Aura outputs.
    I also know many programmes that are in 5.1. How the heck can anyone guess which one you referring to.
    Battlestar Galactica on BBC2-HD is in 5.1. If it happens to be that one, I can show the outcome because I happen to be recording it.
    Otherwise, please at least provide the det 8Oails asked for or stop wasting my time.
    It's not. Clearly if you elect to recode all content to PCM stereo. You lose the capability to get 5.1. As ITV-HD never uses 5.1 it's not an issue for this channel.
    If a broadcaster chooses to use DD+, you need a destination that can decode DD+. eg a more modern AVR.
    You will get this problem on any kit that has access to channels using DD+.
    Had you bought a FVP-5000T you woud have the same problem. I do not have it simply because my AVR has no issue with the codec, nor with any of the lossless HD audio codecs up to Dolby atmos.
    Of course if you could persuade the source provider to add a standard ac3 audio track in the container it would work. Good luck with that. They use DD+ because it only needs one audio track for most. The do this to minimise the bandwidth each channel in the mux takes from the total available.
    Otherwise, please at least provide the det 8Oails asked for or stop wasting my time. [8O]

Sorry about the garbled post. The quote system here can get in a right knot.

I guess you can get the idea.

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 21:59:37 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

If Android TV is anything like the version running on my media boxes, have a look in the sound settings for the hdmi output controls. Try each of them but my guess is that RAW or AUTO will be the one you need.

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 10:21:06 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    If Android TV is anything like the version running on my media boxes, have a look in the sound settings for the hdmi output controls. Try each of them but my guess is that RAW or AUTO will be the one you need.

In Device preferences - sound - option is auto/Manual or you can turn on the ones you know your system supports. Dolby Digital plus can be disabled.

But the OP says this does not stop channels using DD+ to his amp so he cannot engage prologic surround.

If this is correct only other way is to change all sources to output PCM stereo rather than surround.

Full list

Dolby Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus

Dolby Digital

Dolby Digital Plus

DTS

DTS-HD

AAC

Dolby TrueHD

My AVR supports all the above. So I have manual with all the above on

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 11:45:42 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

There are quite a few apps available that will reveal "hidden settings" options in normal Android, have you looked to see if any are available or work with Android TV?
    If not in the TV store, try Aptoide, APKPure APKMirror etc.

Also, the original post is a bit contradictory. It states that DD+ is not supported but then states that it displays DD+. Pages 96> of the instructions clearly explain that DD+ is supported.
    I would suggest that activating all the options on the Humax and then follow the instructions on pgs 98 and 99 in the Marantz booklet may resolve the issue.

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:39:35 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 24 mins ago  » 
    There are quite a few apps available that will reveal "hidden settings" options in normal Android, have you looked to see if any are available or work with Android TV?
    If not in the TV store, try Aptoide, APKPure APKMirror etc.

Also, the original post is a bit contradictory. It states that DD+ is not supported but then states that it displays DD+. Pages 96> of the instructions clearly explain that DD+ is supported.

The box supports DD+. It's the ops avr that does not. If it gets DD+ the op says he cannot use Prologic digital sound processing.
    I would suggest that activating all the options on the Humax and then follow the instructions on pgs 98 and 99 in the Marantz booklet may resolve the issue.

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 13:06:08 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.